logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:03:56 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What is this boat? (pic heavy)  (Read 6324 times)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:02:06 PM »

HI gang,

Have been trying to find a non-US forum to get some help ID'ing this boat I just bought off Ebay on impulse!

I've been after a 15+ foot boat for a while now to take on as a project with the end resulting being a bit of an all-rounder for fishing, just cruising around Port Phillip and Western Port, etc.  Most of my motivation is about taking on a big project. However.... when I saw this one I just could not say no. I loved the lines and at not much $$$ I figured I'd give it a go even though it's NOT what I've been after.

Now, I donít know much about it.

Details are its all fibreglass with ply supports behind the dash and around the cabin areas and its 13'2" (4.0m).

Itís been hinted that it may be form the mid-60's with that moulded outboard well even though I feel the styling at least looks older.  I think best I just put up some photos:

If you need any specific photos to help with the ID let me know.

It looks like some kind of cabin partition or front seat backrest has been cut off and Iím inclined to just strengthen that area, clean up the lines and leave it that way.

I have grand plans for her, but will save those ideas and Qís for another thread other than to say in light of my impulsive buy she will be called ďCapriciousĒ!

Any help to work out what she is would be greatly appreciated.

OhÖ. There was an old rego plat on the dash (with number). Is there any way I can track down what it was registered as using the old number?

Cheers,
Aaron.

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »

Welcome to the board Aaron. What a Beauty! No clues here except if you tell us the old rego number it would help to identify the year.
I have had some success in identifying the boat at vicroads. I got onto this nice guy there who really looked hard for me. Call them up and enquire about the current rego and if you can keep it (you should be able to if it hasn't been taken. Sometimes you'll get a negative result, but don't take that. Call back and get a more helpful person.
Let us know what you find. Also what suburb are you in?

Chairman(David)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:33:47 AM »

David,

Thanks for the reply and welcome. I'm so wrapped to have found a local forum on old boats!

Don't have the rego details on me right now at work, but there was a second small red plate (approx 100x12mm, WxH) that I have seen on other old boats. It was not attached like the rego plate (the mounting holes were there), but was found amongst all the gunk I cleaned out. It had 1980 on it! So I guess at least it was registered some time aroudn then.

I'm in ELtham.

Cheers.

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 09:02:14 AM »

Hi David,
I find it interesting that your boat registrations go through Vicroads .
I had so much more difficulty here (NSW) researching sometime back with 'Maritime'.
Boats with them trailers with RTA .

Hard a' starboard
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 03:53:04 PM »

Hi Aaron,
I love your vessel, she has great lines. I'm pretty sure I've seen one or two of these Runabouts before, it seems very familiar indeed.
I feel it was built in the very early 60's.
A 65hp short shaft motor will be more than ample that's for sure.

Amongst our members there are many fine people who are very knowledgeable on the restoration of Fibreglass boats and older Outboard Motors. Feel free to ask all the questions you want under the heading: Restorations, Help and Advice.
Over the next few days many members from all around Australia (and a couple in the USA) will see your post and your beaut' pics and perhaps then we may learn the exact origin of your boat.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »

Oh don't worry MercMan.

I have quite load of Q's and many I don't even know I need to ask yet ;-)

Will aim them in the right direction in time.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:51:11 PM by MERCMAN » Logged

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 09:04:32 AM »

Update on the mystery boat:

I called VicRoads (VR). They checked their current and archived databases with no luck. Apparently their database only goes back as far as the late 80's. They suggested I call Maritime Safety (MS) as VR supposedly does boat regos on behalf of MS.

So I called MS but they too were no use. They donít have a database of rego numbers apparently!

Neither VR of MS had suggestions for where else to try other than what I have already done here on this forum amongst you other keen boaters.

So the mystery continues unless one of you guys can help?

Iíll post here on the forum, but Iím blogging the rebuild here if anyone wants to follow:

http://capricious2009.blogspot.com/

Cheers,
Aaron.

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:13:42 PM »

Not good enough Aaron. I doubt if you reached someone who can help you. Records in Vic go back prior to this. What is the rego you are trying to trace?  Letters numbers. Then we may be able to help you.

Chairman
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 09:00:03 AM »

David,

Certainly the people I dealt with were helpful, but maybe they did not know all there is.

Any help you or others can offer is greatly appreciated as knowing what she is would add a lot of meaning to the rebuild for me.

How about another photo?

The red plate was not attached, and was found  in the hull, though there was a pair of holes above the blue plate that appeared to match.

hisNhers

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »

Cheers mate, was trolling through some stuff on the web, came across this http://www.old-omc.de/gallery2.html

Certainly looks similar to yours.
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 10:21:47 AM »

Aaron,
Did you finally work out the make.
Was it a Feathercraft?
Chairman
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 09:32:15 PM »

WOW.. almost a year since the last message!

Well... I am about to get back to it and get this little boat up and running.

However, I still have the problem of not knowing what she is. Certainly she's not a Fearthercraft and I have searched other forums high and low with no avail on a hull that looks anything like it.

Any additional thoughts?

HOOKED.UP

I FISH THERE FOR I AM.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 11:10:01 PM »

Hi AaronJ,
                          Try checking out the original Bell Boys from the USA.

Hull is very similar, but the cap is a bit different.

HOOKEY.

I FISH THERE FORE I AM.
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »

Hookey, are you able to point to a link/s of what you've seen. My Google attempts came up with nothing even like mine.

Cheers,
Aaron.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:47:55 PM by Chairman » Logged

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »

Hey David,

RE your "not good enough" comment above.

Thought I'd give it another crack today.... same result!

Once we got through the "if you're not the registered owner we can't give out info" and me saying "there is no registered owner... it was $300 cash off Ebay, last registered in 1980" story, I applied gentle pressure to the call center guy. Let him know I knew of others that had similar questions answered through VicRoads. He caved and went to his supervisor but came back with a  firm "we have no records".

So still at square one I'm afraid and after 15 months of surfing every boat related thing I could find, I have still not seen a boat that is even close. Well some a close (as linked above) but there are always fatal differences that omit them as an ID option.

So this is it.. my last sing-out (might be doing a bit of a Johny Farnham here though)... CAN ANYONE HELP?

How about that "familiarity" you talked of Mercman? Any light bulb moments?

Think I have the new definition of frustrated.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: