logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2018, 09:00:51 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mermaid / Victa  (Read 36374 times)
Ravn

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 08:58:17 AM »

I saw this recently and wish i had some spare cash to throw around....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-Victa-Style-Outboard-Motor-Rare-Collectable-/180597192463?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0c6e770f#ht_1342wt_1139
Greenie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »

Hi only just joined so forgive me if ts all up the creek.

My question relates to Mermaid / Victa gear box

Do they run oil or greese?   Any info on the carby,

/ Arir filter choke , mine has  amal, with a Villiers air cleaner/choke fitted

Any info greatly appreciated . Greenie. .
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »

Hi Greenie,

Could you post some pics of your motor?

(We love Pics)

Makes it easier to answer your gearbox question.

If you have a "Norsen" Amal, that is correct.

Regards

B

Greenie

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 09:16:30 AM »

Hi Greenie,

Could you post some pics of your motor?

(We love Pics)

Makes it easier to answer your gearbox question.

If you have a "Norsen" Amal, that is correct.

Regards

B

Matt55

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »

Hi Guys,

First post, very green so excuse me if I make any mistakes.

I was recently given a Mermaid Outboard that I'm keen to get going and eventually restore. Last weekend I had teh magneto off and surmised that the condenser or plug was stuffed so both replaced. When I put it back together everything was fine. Really strong, visible spark. Tried starting countless time, left it tried again. Got one start on it turned for about 10 seconds then stopped, farted once and that's it.

Since then I've tried again loads of times adjusting the timing, double checking everything but no luck. The last time I had the magneto off again. (its been on and off a lot) i just thought I'd check the spark again and its now dead. !!! Nothing.

Could it be the new condenser?
Could it be something else that is somehow blowing the condenser?

It seams so simple but yet, I'm unable to get it started beyond the 10sec flurry that I had yesterday.

Would anyone be able to help?

Matt

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »

G'day Matt, welcome to "The Board".

If you’re not getting any spark, the most likely problem areas are going to be the coil (open winding) or breaker/points set (not opening/closing correctly).

The following sites provide some very good info and should assist to diagnose the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT8rk5QWgS0

www.pochefamily.org/outboard/coils.htm

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 07:06:23 AM »

Hi Matt,
I'd be checking the Needle and Seat as well. Make sure the fuel bowel is quite full. I'm guessing a fuel issue, based on what you have told us.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »

G'day MERCMAN,

Cleaning the needle and seat (the entire carb actually) is always a good idea, particularly with older outboards that may have been sitting a while.

My focus on the magneto was based on the following comment by Matt.

i just thought I'd check the spark again and its now dead. !!! Nothing.

Regards,
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 02:38:39 PM »

Whoops you're so right Spiro, I read right over that important bit of info written by Matt. My bad.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Matt55

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »

Thanks AusF2333 and Merman (love the profile pic) I'll give it another go this weekend. I tested the resistance on the coil last weekend and it was reading 5700 which I read somewhere was good but that that didn't determine whether the coil was good or not. I'll watch the vids and now that I have a new spanner to take the pull-stater off easily, (kept borrowing my neighbours who incidentally wants to take me to court about a DA dispute. Kinda awkward continually asking him for his tools really.) I should be able to test things between keeping the rug rats outta trouble. Will update next week.

Thanks
Matt
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »

Hi Matt,

You’re right in saying that coil winding resistance checks alone don’t provide any guarantees, however it’s a good place to start and ‘generally speaking’ if you can measure resistance in both the primary and secondary winding, 99% of the time it will be a goer.

That said, you also need to bear in mind there is a spark plug lead between the coil and the spark plug, and a spark plug to also consider. So if the coil windings measure ok and you’re still getting no spark, try a different plug first and if still no spark, you are likely looking at an internally corroded/dead spark plug lead. To check the lead, simply connect your ohmmeter across the lead itself (one probe where the lead meets with the coil, the other probe at the what would be the spark plug connection. If the lead is OK, you will measure low ohms. If the lead is dead or dying, you will measure high ohms.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Spiro
Matt55

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2016, 09:16:55 PM »

Right, good news. Got a smashing spark and got the girl going! Very happy to hear the sound of the Victa 125 for the first time. Haven't quite worked out the starting sequence yet but I'm sure I will in time. She runs for a bit and then seams to peta ou,t guessing that might be something to do with the carby and float so onto that next. Any thoughts welcome.

While I was at it, I pulled apart the lower gear and cleaned up the casings. Looks good now and although still have he original gasket in tact it looks a bit flat so might use gasket goo when I put it back together at the gear chamber had water in it when I opened it.

Any ideas on gear oil or grease? Thinking marine gear oil 90. Let me know if I'm way off.

Thank Spiro and  others for your input.

This is very original motor. Will and pics. Still has the original pull start and air filter by the looks of things.  Will post photos when I have it back together.

Matt
Matt55

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2016, 09:27:03 PM »

Also mean to ask, does anyone know if the sump plug on the lower gear box should be high or low.  When I took it off it was high but feels like drain plugs should be on the low side. The casing is interchangeable with no distinct markings to tell me which way up it should be. I've also seen it both the to high and low positions.

What's right?
Matt
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2016, 07:33:58 PM »

Matt

Pictures please as Mermaid can not be Mermaid or what is badged as Mermaid......for it to be....a Mermaid.....you dig?

BnC

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: