logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2018, 09:09:13 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mermaid / Victa  (Read 35309 times)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 08:37:11 AM »

Here are some interesting thoughts about HP out of 125cc.
Most 125cc street motorcycles are at least 15hp.
Those exciting and noisy MX dirt bikes manage to sqeeze out 42hp when all the factory performance bits are bolted on. Shocked

MERCMAN. 

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
shed job

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »

MERCMAN, I'm already concerned that the stock output of the Victa is effectively pushing the weight of the motor, the boat, its contents and any displaced water through the 3/16" machine screws holding the gearbox front cover in place.  Might find the limits of two threads tapped into an alloy casting if we went anywhere near 10 HP let alone 42....
The image of a Victa 125 mounted in a moto-cross bike in my mind is amusing though.

CI, Were you dollying rivets?? Where does the 'dolly' come into it?
Speaking of clinker hulls, something I've always pondered, how do you seal up the planks, string, pitch,  ??(timber not glass obviousl...der)

Cheers, Shed Job

valiant man

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 08:54:25 PM »

Shed

Victa 125 was about the 2.0 to 2.5 RAC HP.  That is at the crankshaft.

By the time losses through gearbox and propeller slip The Mermaid would be about 1.5 to 2HP effective.

Nice for a light little "Buddy".

About 5 Knots, which is better than rowing...................

I have always been daunted in actually building my own boat because my first job as a young fella of 10 was being a helper in my Uncles (Family Friend of Dad) boat building business here in the west.

I was..."A Dolly Boy" at $2.00 per hour for clinker boats.

Dolly Boy probably means something else now.....................

Maybe I will be "Ribbed" about that but that is what a "Dolly Boy" did!

Ha-ha

Regards

C.I.

I have a complete mermaid motor if any one is interested Mick
valiant man

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »

Shed

Victa 125 was about the 2.0 to 2.5 RAC HP.  That is at the crankshaft.

By the time losses through gearbox and propeller slip The Mermaid would be about 1.5 to 2HP effective.

Nice for a light little "Buddy".

About 5 Knots, which is better than rowing...................

I have always been daunted in actually building my own boat because my first job as a young fella of 10 was being a helper in my Uncles (Family Friend of Dad) boat building business here in the west.

I was..."A Dolly Boy" at $2.00 per hour for clinker boats.

Dolly Boy probably means something else now.....................

Maybe I will be "Ribbed" about that but that is what a "Dolly Boy" did!

Ha-ha

Regards

C.I.

I have a complete mermaid motor if any one is interested, the carby is gumed up but I think I can get it going without too much trouble.give me a call on 0414435554 NSW 
Merman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 09:49:47 PM »

G'Day all
Have just jumped onboard after finding The Board in search of info regarding an outboard I was given 'to look after and restore'. Has been sitting in the container for a number of years and as other 'projects' have been started and finished, it was time for an outboard project. Time for an admission - I am more of a 'petrolhead' ie cars than a 'boatie' so I am feeling my way as I go.
The outboard I was given is a Mermaid. It has the flat top pulley and the barrel and head is an integral steel unit. It has a two blade prop. The fuel tank showed signs of light blue, I presume this to be original being where it was under the cowl. There are two (rusty) hold down clips on the cowl. Currently it is in pieces and I am cleaning up each component in the grit blaster. Quite a few broken cooling fins on the 'head' part of the barrel. Piston and rings look okay although I noted a broken strip of thin metal in the top ring groove under the top ring - more research required on that one. Stripped and cleaned the magneto - this is a Wico unit, spec number FW 1479 and a serial number to be what looks like 955112. Would the serial number be indicative of a date perhaps Huh  Is there any firm dates as to when the Mermaid was in production Huh Both primary and secondary windings tested good so that is a plus. Points look like they are brand new !!
Couple of requests - any chance of a close up pic of the clips holding the cowl on (on the pic Mermaid silver jpg by C.I.), and (here's my boatie ignorance) where is the cavitation plate  Huh (re I found the remains of a serial number on the top side of the cavitation plate).
Hope this wasn't too long winded. Look forward to any reply/s. Will have to organise some pics
Cheers MM
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 06:41:58 AM »

Welcome to the board MM.
The members you are seeking have not been very active recently. I'd send them a personal message through the board and rev them up if I was you. The cavatation plate is the flat horizontal plate above the prop which stops the prop sucking air. Looking forward to pics and we hope we can keep YOU revved up.
Chairman
Merman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »

Thanks for the reply Chairman. My suspicions were correct re the cavitation plate but it is better to be sure. Will check for any numbers when I clean up that component.
Cheers MM
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 04:12:33 PM »

GDay MM

I got "reved Up" because I got a topic reply email..........after all this time eh?

Gee We Are Good eh?

Sounds like a Hurricane powerhead which will hold very few dramas for you.

Post some pics and let us all in on it please. Mermaids are a significant part of Australian Outboarding in the "Low Power, Utility" section...............or something like that anyway.

By all means, PM me with your email address.

I will help you any way I can with it.

Regards

Bruce.

Merman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 07:17:36 PM »

The 'cleanup' so far....

Breaker plate and components - coil tested good so gotta be happy with that..

Bits after blasting..

Next step is to separate crankcase, check/inspect 'all things inside' and hopefully replace seals..

Cheers MM   Grin Grin Grin

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »

Looks like a "Waterboy"
I searched "Waterboy outboard"  on Google images, but I certainly didn't get the results I was looking for.   Shocked
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 05:52:12 PM »

Good Work!

Seals and crank bearings are off the shelf. The needle rollers for the big end are NOT!

Big end will probably be OK, just do not pull or split the crank eh?

Ignition may well be OK as well. Let us know if no spark when all together..........There is a fix.

Interesting endevour Mate!

Regards

B

Merman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »

Thanks for the info re seals and bearings CI, I was wondering about their availability.
Bit of a standstill at the moment - visitors (= BBQ's, beer etc etc). Back on deck next week.

Cheers MM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Merman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 07:21:41 PM »

G'Day All
Full recovery made after a pretty big weekend - back into it.
Split the crankcase today and removed bearings and seals. Large (6204) bearings readily available but supplier couldn't match the smaller one. Trip into town tomorrow with samples in hand and see what happens. Opened the gearbox as well and removed 'crown wheel' after driving out the retainer pin holding the collar to the output shaft. Pretty simple set up although I wonder about the output shaft seal availability. Serial number on the cavitation plate is 'OB1298'. Serial number on the 'Hurricane' crankcase is 'JLY35'. Perhaps the 35th build for the month of July in which year I would guess to be around 1955 -56, same era as the 4th Victa Model 1 Rotomo. Info gleaned from the Vintage Mowers site
http://www.vintagemowers.net/mower_victa.php ).
Does anyone have a paint code for the 'Mermaid Blue' or is it a matter of matching the colour by eye - in my case from photographs.

Cheers MM  Grin Grin Grin
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 10:13:51 PM »

Paint, OK, pretty well basic as follows...........

Short shaft (Small prop and slim gearbox) were all light blue hammertone for tank, tank underparts and transom clamp. The rest was as cast.

Long shaft with 140cc Hurricane powerhead was silver hammertone for tank. Tank underparts were silver hammer. Transom clamp was light blue Hammer and the rest was actually hand polished. Long shaft is really large and you would know as it looks really way out there.

Ya havn fun yeh?

B

Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 11:06:29 PM »

I just did a bit of a pissy drive to a shed and checked the colours.

They are accurate but applied really really thinly!
k.
Just a hint and really no more of the paint being hammertone?

Spray lightly from a distance for the original finish.

They sprayed lite! Thats why base colour remains but no "thickness"

Um, maybe from 12 inches away with modern can, one coat?  Just a slight Hammer effect, no more and you will be spot on the mark.

B

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: