logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2018, 12:04:18 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mermaid / Victa  (Read 33912 times)
shed job

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:44:57 AM »

Just joined as a member of The Board - didn't know this site existed till today.

I have been working on an old Victa 125 powered Mermaid that my father used to take fishing on the Barwon when we were kids.

Its been kicking 'round in boxes for 30 - 40 years so I've decided it's time to resurrect.

I've already done a most of the resto but just wondered if anybody has any pictures or documents that I could view to clarify some things, eg angle drive set-up. Also interested in the history of the make?

I'd guess this unit is late 50's / early 60's, it has a one piece top cowl / fuel tank (light blue), and bolt on rope starter.

Any takers??
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »

Welcome to The Board, "shed job" (love the name Grin)

We have a member "Collector Inspector" who should be able to provide you with the information you require. He is located in WA, therefoe there is a time difference to allow for.

In the mean time, see http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=361.0

We would love to see some of your progress photos if you have any.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:58:32 PM »

G'Day Shed

All too pleased to help if I can.

Gunna need at least two pics however.........................

C.I.

shed job

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 05:35:50 PM »

I'm guessing that I use the "insert image" icon above?

I was surprised when I realised I hadn't taken any pictures to date...will make amends and load up shortly.

Cheers and thanks for your responses. Hope you can 'shed' some light for me.
shed job

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »

Some pictures for the IC to digest.

Cheers, Shed job.

* Mermaid cowl.JPG (18.45 KB, 426x336 - viewed 479 times.)

* Mermaid 1.JPG (25.58 KB, 448x333 - viewed 590 times.)

* Mermaid 3.JPG (17 KB, 200x448 - viewed 492 times.)

* Mermaid 2.JPG (18.18 KB, 207x448 - viewed 642 times.)
shed job

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 06:58:12 PM »

Sorry, IC, meant to say that the rope starter as shown is not original. It's a toe cutter Victa unit that I fitted as the original was lost. Original had four attach holes at 90' intervals where the Victa unit has a different pitch. I'd like to know what the original looked like.

Cheers, Shed job.
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »

Hi Shed Job.

I will try to "Shed" some light for you though I am not 100% with the Mermaid, that, indeed, you have.

Para phrasing Mr Hunn, "Smithurst & Son Pty Ltd Caringbah NSW was responsible starting in 1956-7".  Below is advert of the day;

Now for my bit in that the advert shows one of two leg designs that I have. This shows the equivalent of the "Adapter-Leg" kit that was available from other makers so that any one with a lawn mower could slap on their motor for boating etc.

The other one that you have has a different gearbox, which is remarkably similar to another manufacturer of the day, "Riptide". I would think that the similarity is only from sharing a common foundry, not that Riptide had any input into Mermaids. Lots of different Australian Outboards like this looked the same as they all had to share one or two foundries willing to do the job for them. Propeller shape and quality were all similar. You would have noticed that the quality of the casting and metal mix used responds well to the buff eh?

Your leg and the pic of one of mine below is of this later and more importantly "Complete Offering" as a viable machine. The engines were either Victa commercial engines or Hurricane models available in the 1960s.

You mention mounts or holes for a pull start. This would be for a Hurricane powered version tank. The Victa powered ones only ever had the flat top pulley. Else, everything is interchangeable as mounting geometry were all the same. (Tank)

The transom bracket etc is the same as mine, which I now believe to be correct. I always wondered if it was a ring in but obviously not.  Cool!

I commend your efforts and the ability to not throw out a box of bits………………………..

“Sheds” should have boxes of Bits.

Regards

C.I.

* Mermaid_Simple_Leg small.jpg (38.19 KB, 267x480 - viewed 653 times.)

* Mermaid silver.JPG (27.37 KB, 360x480 - viewed 518 times.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:55:46 PM by Collector Inspector » Logged

Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 09:09:44 PM »

Hmmm, been thinking about what I surmised about recoil starter comment.

I would take that with a pinch of salt as the Hurricane type starter bolt holes would not fit on the tank.

Maybe someone tried a Villiers 4 bolt conversion in the past. Different system so would be no good.........

Love it when there are NEW possibilities. Thing is so old that its history can only leave marks eh?

C.I.

shed job

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »

Thanks for the info CI.

Yes I couldn't resist giving the alloy bits a rub. Looks nice and shiney but the castings are woefully porous

Re the pull starter, I'd always assumed that one would have been fitted from the factory and the flat pulley added later due to four 1/4" holes @ 90' as previously mentioned, countersunk from the bottom side. It may have been a mod by my father although I don't think he had the Mermaid from new so it may have been somebody else's effort.

Because I assumed it would have had a starter I went about fitting the Victa unit and had to do a bit of buggerising around to set the drive cup at the right height then align the starter unit. I picked up two of the original holes but this left the starter off centre to the cup. I couldn't figure out why the "original" holes appeared to be misaligned to the centre of the crank. All makes more sense now given it would have been a puuley starter in the first place. The old holes were well worn though so it looked like something had been vibrating away in them for good while...a bit of a mystery but at least the thing starts quite well as set up now!

Anyway, thanks for the history lesson and picture of your unit. Interesting to see the slight differences like the longer shaft, three blade prop, cowl colour (is the silver original?), and earlier(?) Victa crankcase.

One other thing, if you've been into the gearbox, do you know whether the rear shaft bush is a straight plain bush or a hat section like that in the front cover. Seems like I'll need a air few shims on the shaft to set the pinion in the right place.

Cheers, Shed Job
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »

Hi Shed

I have never had a gearbox apart so can not help there. Mind you, if you are thinking of shims and stuff, you have it very well covered. About 0.005" lash will see you right.

Below are two pics of a tank. This one for a Victa motor. Notice the offset for the pulley hole. Would be a bugger to get recoil assy on it I would think.

Speaking of pullies, there is the correct flat top one for your Victa on Ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160340465792

The motor on my silver one is a Hurricane. Note the "Domed" top on the pullie casting and the Villiers type side bolts through the crankcase. The barrel is one with the head. Iron so 125cc.

Colours that I know are right are light blue, silver and gold. Early sort of hammer_tone.

Regards

C.I.

* Image013.jpg (35.26 KB, 600x480 - viewed 470 times.)

* Image014.jpg (39.04 KB, 600x480 - viewed 565 times.)

shed job

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 10:15:12 PM »

Thanks Collector, 

Don't know if my previous got through...the time out feature got me..bugger!

Thanks for the info and the extra pic's. Your blue cowl appears identical to mine except the single latch on the front of the case where mine has two, one each side. Mine has the same offset pulley hole and, per previous, I have mounted the recoil starter successfully (so far).

Thanks for the Ebay link re the starter pulley. I have the pulley that was fitted when this lot when into boxes and it's a roughy compared to the Victa 18 unit. It's pretty agricultural which only added to my impression that it replaced the original starter...still wonder if later Victa Mermaids had recoils starters from the factory...?

I found the remains of a serial number on the top side of the cavitation plate. Could be 'OB (OutBoard?) 1129'. Does yours have anything similar?

I'm thinking about a suitable thing to float the Mermaid on. Do you know where I could get any plans for a wooden dinghy or similar?

Thanks for your time and knowledge,

Cheers, shed job.

shed job

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 06:44:47 PM »

Just found the web link to svensons.com for old timber boat plans on one of the other Board links...got just what I want to build to get on the river.

Cheers, shed job.
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »

Good Job Shed!  Hope you are afloat real soon!

Maybe you would like to post this interesting plans site on our links pages?

Very Nice Find that!

Enjoy

Regards

Bruce.

shed job

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »

Cheers Bruce

The link is www.svensons.com/boat/ and is already on the Board under "Stuff Relating To Vintage Outboarding" >> ""Free Vintage Plans Online", posted in Feb by your fellow God Rob (thank you Rob if you see this).

If you look at the plans there's a little ply 13' plank seat 'Buddy' utility boat that appeals and I hope will not take me as long as it took me to get the Mermaid project running.

Any idea what horsepower a125 Victa puts out?

Shed Job
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 09:09:15 PM »

Shed

Victa 125 was about the 2.0 to 2.5 RAC HP.  That is at the crankshaft.

By the time losses through gearbox and propeller slip The Mermaid would be about 1.5 to 2HP effective.

Nice for a light little "Buddy".

About 5 Knots, which is better than rowing...................

I have always been daunted in actually building my own boat because my first job as a young fella of 10 was being a helper in my Uncles (Family Friend of Dad) boat building business here in the west.

I was..."A Dolly Boy" at $2.00 per hour for clinker boats.

Dolly Boy probably means something else now.....................

Maybe I will be "Ribbed" about that but that is what a "Dolly Boy" did!

Ha-ha

Regards

C.I.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: