logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 05:51:51 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mercury 1500XS  (Read 26137 times)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:58:41 PM »

Here is a fairly old in line 6 racing Merc from 1976. They were known as a 1500XS and churned out 155hp at the crank. These motors were produced by Mercury mainly for the USA Tunnel boat racing classes. They were only available in short shaft and the were fitted with a standard looking gearbox except for the fact the water pick ups were just under the front of the "bullet" of the box. This enabled the motors to run high pitch (up to 28" or more) semi surfacing props lifted high out of the water, without running out water to the impeller.

A few 1500xs's made their way to Australia where some excited "V" boat drivers wacked them on performance mono hulls such as Dancraft, AdventureCraft and Bullet. These drivers soon discovered they were cooking thier motors left right and centre. The reason being, when the motors were over trimmed on a "V" boat, the motor was no longer perpendicular to the surface of the water and a small void was forming just under the leading edge of the gearbox "bullet".
This problem wasn't usually experienced with the tunnel guys 'cause thier motors mostly ran perpendicular when at high speed.

Mercury Marine Australia remidied this issue so the "V" boat guys could use the motors by offering the standard gearbox as an option on the 1500XS.

This one is for sale on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mercury-150XS-Outboard_W0QQitemZ320270793652QQihZ011QQcategoryZ111121QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MERCMAN.

* 1500XS.jpg (17.54 KB, 400x300 - viewed 705 times.)

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
lowair1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »

curios to what you got for the xs1500,i have one with an origenal 178 hours on the clock,in very good condition,i am thinking of selling ,never been raced ,put on a savage envovy tought kids to ski then put back in the shed,very curios to what one in this good of condition would sell for,would very appreciate any feed back on this you might have,thank you
lowair1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:46:13 PM »

curios to what you got for the xs1500,i have one with an origenal 178 hours on the clock,in very good condition,i am thinking of selling ,never been raced ,put on a savage envovy tought kids to ski then put back in the shed,fresh water boat (burrinjuck dam) ,very curios to what one in this good of condition would sell for,would very appreciate any feed back on this you might have,thank you
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 07:58:32 PM »

Hi lowair1
I didn't have that motor For Sale. I just spotted it on ebay and I commented on it ages ago. I seem to recall it didn't sell as it didn't meet reserve.
Yours may look like a 1500XS but I doubt it is one. The real McCoy only came in a short shaft to my knowledge and for yours th be clamped to an Envoy it would need to be a long shaft. May be yours is a 1500 with the XS cowls fitted later..  Did you buy it new?

If you wish to sell the cowls let me know. I would provide standad cowls plus $$ for the exchange. Smiley

MERCMAN.

lowair1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 07:21:30 PM »

no it is on original ,it is short shaft an the envoy was cut down to take it,an sorry but i wont seperate the cowl,
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »

Hi lowair1,
If you ever wish to sell your 1500XS let me know. I know a bunch of nostalgic race boys who would give their eye teeth (and their wives) for it.
It's a total shame seeing the weapon clamped to a family boat, instead of pushing a race hull to the best part 90mph.
That motor was born and race bred to run and run very fast.

MERCMAN.

lowair1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:49:12 PM »

fully agree with every word you just said ,it is a shame to see it on that ,ive got a buyer for the boat but i wont sell it to him for the reason he wants a fishing ski boat,i am selling it , i know i shouldn't but i would rather see one of your mates that you just mentioned give it the true respect that this motor deserves,and get the enjoyment out of it that only a true enthusiast with the right respect for it will give and get,that's the reason i got on to this sight i sent you an email not  sure if you got it ,if not let me know and i will give you my number , and i will give you the history of the motor from new,for anyone that buys it the boat andtrailer goes with it so they can allways put another motor on it and sell it an get some of there money back,Ive got my 76 dehavlline 7foot 11 tinnie i use in the rivers  and weir ,and a 75 clark abalone center console iam doing up for when i move up the coast in a year or two up the coast,look forward to talking to you soon,
DesertDogMarine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 04:25:50 AM »

MERCMAN, I have some 1500XS parts available if you know of anybody interested.
Desert Dog
DesertDogMarine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 07:01:20 AM »

waufledog@hotmail.com or (928)727 - BOAT (2628)
bullshot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »

Just wondering what became of the 150XS.
I have one on the original gear housings and a brand new fluted cowl.
Also have a set of Merc BP exhaust plates and pipes on the way from the U.S at present.
Would love a complete XS?Huh
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 08:59:22 AM »

Hey Bullshot,
Do you wish to sell your fluted cowl?

MERCMAN.

bullshot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 04:35:50 PM »

No thanks Mercman, looks like I will have to build one up as that other complete engine is out of my price range.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »

Here is a pic of another 1500XS Merc.
This beauty has been remanufactured.

MERCMAN.

* Merc 1500XS remanufactured.jpg (44.78 KB, 453x604 - viewed 944 times.)

Old racer
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »

Bought a 175hr 1500XS, needs work on top cylinder, apart from that a lovely motor, genuine J block, low water pickups, inside the cowl looks like it just came out of the box.
                                                                                    Old Racer.

Gentlemen, in the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe, we may as well drink a glass of champagne.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 06:37:15 PM »

Nigel now owns Lowair1's 1500XS which he has owned since new.
There is a very long story in that statement. Maybe Nigel may share it with all you guys someday?
Perhaps I should have been a match maker? Grin Grin

Anyway, here is one of my favourite shots of a 1500XS Roll Eyes
http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=1483.0

MERCMAN.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: