logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 18, 2018, 06:42:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Att: Strangler  (Read 5009 times)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2008, 12:48:50 PM »

Hi Guy,
We have Christian name duplications occuring more and more often on "The Board" now. We have David's, John's, etc, and now Guy's. It's a good job we all have user names.
On the subject of user names, how did a Merc racing driver in "ON" class of yester year end up with a user name "Strangler"?
(For thoses members who don't know, a Strangler is a factory racing motor V4 built by OMC way back in the 70's)

I'd love to know when your racing your BP next. I'd probably make a special trip down to Melb, just to hear the old girl scream (and your motor as well) Grin

Earlier this week we received a post from a fellow wishing to track down Peter Fuller. See....
http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=550.msg3381#msg3381
Perhaps you may be able to shed more light on the subject?

I look forward to meeting you soon. I'm trying to plan a work trip to Melb in July sometime.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Strangler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 10:44:35 PM »

Hi Guy,
sounds funny using that name!!!! great to hear from you, would be great to catch up when you get down here! let David and I know when you are down. The BP Merc is awsome , but I have another old favorite in the garage a Super Strangler, and it is running on a small Adventure Craft, and really goes and also sounds magnificent! so hence the name. The BP is not currently on the boat at the moment, I have put a Twister 2x on it and that is equally awsome, hey with all these funny outboard names I wonder how many other people know what we are on about? wonder if anyone knows what a 700x or CCC or an OZ F1 V8 is Huh?
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:54:10 AM »

Hi Guy,
Yeah, I see what you mean!!
Dave will let you know when I'll be down, as soon as my exact plans are in place and flights are booked.
I remember seeing the Adventure Craft boat and its very contraversal debut to racing at Goolwa during the National Titles in 1975. I have driven one in a race when the owner of the Adventure Craft and I swapped boats for the day at a Club meeting,  the cornering ability was truly amazing.

As far as I'm aware, Barry Bourkes Dancraft "999" still holds the Aussie record for 1750cc mono at 88.9 MPH with a dead stock 150HP Merc. A huge effort indeed.

The only IIX I know still in existence is up at the Central Coast of NSW near the Entrance. It's owned by Greg Ellerey, I understand it's only a display motor now.
Yep, right with ya on the 700x, CCC & OZ F1 V8.
Did you ever see Bert Hines' tunnel with a 350ci small block Chev inverted and bolted on top of a CCC leg? It went like hell in a straight line, but wouldn't go aroud a corner. The T3 guys with 122ci still beat him at the Aussie Titles in Warwick Qld.

Many moons ago, my mate and I raced a CC sniffing NOS. (the motor was, not us!) It was on a Burgess called "57".. you probably know it?
During an APBA time trial back in the 70's, it ran 105MPH one way & blew over on the way back. He is looking for a CC to restore, do you know of any of those left? He'd even settle for a FT and go from there.

My mate and I were only talking about IIX motor last night, we love to reminiss all the time. We both reckon the IIX is arguably the GTHO Phase 3 of the outboard racing world. You should be very proud of her. And he's even OMC bias! Although, he does have a 200EFI MERC on his ski boat.

We would love to see some photos of your toys.
Hope to see to you soon.

MERCMAN.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:16:52 PM by MERCMAN » Logged

Strangler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »

Hi Guy, funny you should mention Bert Hines and his Molinari, I recently restored that boat, and fitted an F1 V8 to its back, it lives in my garage!!!!

No I dont know of a CC , problem is I dont have one either! and I would it is a pretty special unit! there must be couple around though, just got to go hunting! I am selling some 700x stuff on Ebay at the moment, if he is intersted in fitting a Merc?

When you come down we could possibly do better than look at the TWISTER, maybe given right timing we could take it for a run, get the aurel senses working!!!!  Grin
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:56:27 PM »

Hey Guy,

I thought that boat was a Scotty. Now after thinking hard, it was Berts previous boat that was a Scotty.
When I was only 16 years of age, (36 years ago) I use to jockey for Bert. At the time, he had cut down Haines with a 125hp 'Rude. This was well before Bert came back from the States with an Allison, and added foot to it's lenght, then called it a Tennessee.

Do you remember the early Minx? It was a 12ft Mono Hull, built by Peter Bradley of VIC. My friends, John Hudson and Ken MacIntyre bought the moulds from Peter and we built quite a few boats and sold them off to earn a little extra dosh to feed our racing habbits. We kept one of them, blue printed the bottom and bolted on possibly the first 650XS that was ever sold in NSW, if not Australia. They came with a range of tubed cleavers that delivered 75+ MPH performance. We racked up many 61 & 75ci NSW & Aust Titles with that little 12 footer.
The guy who is looking for another CC, also had a 650XS on an earlier tunnel he owned. The 700x was never really successful in NSW we didn't see many at all. They seemed harder to keep going than some of the 650XS's, some of which were real dogs. The CC's prooved to be bullet proof (no pun intended) you couldn't kill 'em with a stick!
Your kind offer to see your IIX running would be a real blast from the past. I wouldn't miss it for quids.

MERCMAN.

Strangler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 09:35:24 PM »

Yep no worries Mercman, will see you in Melbourne soon, see if we can turn on a good day and some Twister action., better charge up the battery!!!!. I have seen the Minx 12ft boat, would have been great fun!! Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: