logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2020, 11:52:36 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wizard 7.5  (Read 14206 times)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:15:03 PM »

Couldn't help myself. Found it on ebay with no bids starting at $250. I got him down to a much lower figure and got it. I think they were ahead of their time with that design.
Here is my mate Greg with one on a Minimax. I remember thinking how wierd it looked then in 1960. I also remember it didn't have that much grunt. The 7.5 Riptide was twice as heavy but seemed twice the power on the same Minimax. If it works I intend to use the Wizard. They had the Bailamatic that sucked up the bilge water. It's missing that bit. Will keep you posted
David

* gregs_wizard.jpg (22.54 KB, 600x450 - viewed 396 times.)

* wizard.jpg (13.73 KB, 300x400 - viewed 790 times.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:48:57 AM by Chairman » Logged
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »

Trying to research this. found a website http://www.wizardoutboardforum.com/pictures.html. Seems a fairly rare motor.
Here is a pic of my mate Greg now with the motor. He was absolutely stunned when he saw it. I couldn't believe how light and small it is. It's a bit like a toy.
D

* wiz_7.5.JPG (75.03 KB, 900x1200 - viewed 440 times.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:01:34 PM by Chairman » Logged
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:43:12 PM »

Hi Dave,
Greg seems to have a little more hair in the first photo!
I bet he was very impressed to see another Wizard of the same model after such a long time.  
How's Greg been going since I last saw him... still sailing I guess? He looks well. Say hello from me.
I think it's about time I came down to Melb' and we had another dinner.
Have you tried to start the Wizard?
Do you think you'll use it on your tinny?

MERCMAN.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:49:39 PM by MERCMAN » Logged

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:05:50 PM »

Guy I'll certainly say hello. I forgot you had met him.
Dinner it is! Let me know as long as it'snot August when I turn into a Yachtie.
I started it today after replacing some of the internal hoses that had perished. It fired up, and pumped water, but it needed me to squeeze the bowl. Do you think it'll be the diaphram on the fuel pump? I wonder if the parts are available. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to make some of them. Juice is definitely getting up to the donk, I might check if the new hose I put inside has a slight kink. Due to the construction of this compact motor, I reckon it'll be a cow to work on. I plan to use it on the little 9ft. Unless I weeken and swap it with Greg's 6hp Merc as he wants me to. I'll see after I test it.
David
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »

I'll try for July for dinner.
Diaphram is very likley, or perhaps needle and seat?? Also check actuation of the float, it may be gummed up too.
I've had success making a diaphram from raincoat plastic. What ever you choose, don't forget to make a little depression in the centre so the plastic can fuctuate once it's clamped up in the housing.
I recall you said the motor has a bailomatic feature and plus the fact one of the Wizards on the website you posted looks so much like a "Scott"
http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=483.0

You might be lucky enough to have a cross match with a diaphram by going down that road?

MERCMAN.

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 06:17:09 AM »

OK July
My research seems to indicate that a lot of outboard companies made "Wizards" Unlike the Scott, it is light and really lacking grunt from what I remember.
That link I posted is the closest to any info with another pic of one. here is a pic of an 'Oliver Wizard and a "Scott Wizard" I'm sure I've seen a Chrysler similar to my little Wizard.
David

* Wizardsx2.jpg (43 KB, 297x400 - viewed 490 times.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:22:05 AM by Chairman » Logged
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 07:57:42 AM »

Here is another shot of a Scott/Wizard.
I reckon you could be on the right track about Chrysler. I bet MarkS can shed some light on this subject for us.

Back to you fuel problem, I didn't mention the fuel pump valves. Check their operation, they too can gum up over time.

MERCMAN.

* scottwizard.jpg (32.52 KB, 472x466 - viewed 504 times.)

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 01:16:51 PM »

Thank You Mr Mercman
I got an email back from the US of A and they have most parts for my model which they say is a Scott Wizard. I'm waiting to find out how many companies made Wizard. They could be like the Home Brand of Outboards.
Chairman
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »

Thanks Mercman,
Wizards were sold by the Western Auto Supply Company, 2107 Grand Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri, all made by other companies. Suppliers were Mercury, Oliver, Scott & West Bend.

Mercury supplied Wizards from 1955 to 1957
Oliver from 1957 to 1958.
Scott 1959 to 1964
West Bend 1964 to 1965
(My reference book on covers years from 1955 to 1965, so I don't know what was made prior to 55 or after 65.)

Service procedures on these units will not differ greatly from those given for similar motors carrying the manufacturer's brand name. This does not necessarily mean, however, that parts are interchangeable. So David you need a Scott-McCulloch workshop manual going by what they say.

Yours being a 7.5 HP David is made by Scott between 1959-64.
Model  6907A    1959
           6908       1960-62
           6909       1963-64

It's also interesting to note that Mercury built a 4 cylinder Wizard in 1956-57, has anyone seen one of these?
Mark S.

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:43:30 PM »

Well Thank you Mark.
I'd have to say that the info you have supplied is the most comprehensive on the web.

Congrats

David
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 07:46:48 AM »

Dave,
What is the model No of your little Wizard?
We are all poised to learn the outcome. I'm guessing your motor will be around 1967, thus the Chrysler/Westbend look. It's a shame Marks reference book stops at 1965.

What are your thoughts on Davids motor Mark? (the one Dave's mate Greg is holding)
Nope I've never seen a 4cyl Wizard either. I have a Merc history book at home that just may have some pics or an editorial. I'll have a gander over the weekend.

MERCMAN.

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 07:59:32 AM »

It's a Scott Guy.

1959. Greg's  Dad bought his in 1960. I'll get the numbers and post them asap

David
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 10:35:11 AM »

Help!
here are some pics. The carby is tucked inside the cowl. I suppose, to get to that I have to remove the power head.
The carby has 3 hoses connected. One is the fuel line in, the other goes to what I presume is the fuel pump as shown tacked onto the side of the bottom Cylinder?
The other hose disappears down under the power head somewhere.
The first pic is looking down and you can see one of the screws which I presume connects the power head to the leg.
The second pic is the carby which I can't get to both nuts to remove.
The third is what I believe is the fuel pump.
Am I barking up the right tree?
Hopefully my fuel starvation problem is the diaphram as it's the easiest to remove. But when I pump the bowl it is always hard and no fuel spews out like a merc does.
Is this any indication of one of the carby probs Guy mentioned or is this normal in some donks?
Over to you more mechanical experienced Boardies
David

* Power_head.jpg (55.02 KB, 640x480 - viewed 444 times.)

* Carby.jpg (47.05 KB, 360x480 - viewed 424 times.)

* Fuel_Pump.jpg (47.28 KB, 640x480 - viewed 445 times.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:48:46 AM by Chairman » Logged
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »

Hi David,
No other outboard spews fuel out of a carburettor like a Mercury does, believe me. Your problem sounds like fuel delivery. By squeezing the primer bulb it is acting like a fuel pump and if it has no other running quality problems while you are doing this, then I wouldn't be pulling the carburettor apart just yet.

I suggest you follow these procedures, in this order,  before doing anything else;
1. Have the fuel tank sitting at the same height as the boat floor would be when running the motor in the tank
2. Check for air/fuel leaks at fuel connectors and fuel lines when you squeeze the primer bulb.
3. Dismantle the fuel pump and check for a split diaphragm or a sticky valve as Guy suggested. Before dismantling the fuel pump try blowing backwards through it, if you can do this there is definately a problem in the pump
Mark S.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:55:03 AM by Mark S » Logged
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 01:50:16 PM »

Thanks Mark
I had already done the tank up high bit and to no evail. No leaks in hoses, so I'll dismantle the pump. Thanks for your quick reply
David

* Fuel_Pump2.jpg (47.28 KB, 640x480 - viewed 413 times.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:41:11 AM by Chairman » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: