logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 12:57:56 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tom Savage and the Savage boat building industry Williamstown  (Read 22225 times)
Electra

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 04:19:53 PM »

Hi there,

Glad to hear you're interested and I passed this on to Dad who seems a little bemused by it all...I think he is really quite chuffed.

I don't have any more Javelin photos or brochures - unfortunately I don't have a 1963 brochure, when the Javelin was released.  If I find anything in the clippings I'll scan and post.

Meanwhile, as I get organised I'll post other Savage bits and pieces.

Cheers

Gillian
Electra

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »

Hi there

I've attached the 1964 Savage boats brochure for your interest...I'm being a bit self-serving as I'm after something from you.

I don't have any brochures, ads or any material re Savage Fibreglass Industries between 1958, when it was established and 1964.  I have no way of determining when the models in the '64 brochure were launched, other than the Javelin in '63.

So if anyone has anything or knows anything that could assist, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Gillian

* Scan 2.jpg (65.31 KB, 450x640 - viewed 779 times.)
Electra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »

The fold-out brochure is in 4 scanned parts.

Gillian

* Scan 3.jpg (68.5 KB, 450x640 - viewed 708 times.)
Electra

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 06:30:14 PM »

Another bit...

* Scan 4.jpg (71.63 KB, 450x640 - viewed 629 times.)
Electra

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 06:38:31 PM »

Having trouble getting the brochure cover posted.
 Here goes again...

* cover 64.jpg (67.01 KB, 452x640 - viewed 760 times.)
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 05:35:48 PM »

Hello Gillian ,
The attached is  probably not relevant to your paper chase but members may be interested .
What was the overall relationship with J J Savage ?
Also I notice your 'Avatar' Electra , apart from being a Goddess , is the name of one of J J 's models .
Is there a connection there ?

Neil

* img070.jpg (85.9 KB, 623x480 - viewed 976 times.)

Hard a' starboard
Electra

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »

Hi Neil

Thanks so much for that - it's solved a riddle for me!

To answer your question and explain the riddle it goes like this:

My grandfather John Joseph Savage built the Williamstown factory and installed a slip in 1935.  That year Dad, Thomas Joseph, left school to join the business - wooden boatbuilding then.  My uncle, Jack, then joined and in 1946 the brothers became partners in the business, hence JJ Savage & Sons.

In the early fifties, Dad became interested in the possibilities of fibreglass and started making model fibreglass boats and baking them in the oven!

JJ & Sons made some fibreglass lifeboats and in 1958, Dad established Savage Fibreglass Industries in Mason street Newport.  I wasn't sure to what extent Williamstown made fibreglass runabouts or cruisers when Dad set up Newport.  I understood there were close links between the 2 factories- using the slipway for testing and so on, staff exchanges etc, but you've answered that question for me.  JJ Savage went on to build tinnies and some larger cruisers (30' plus) and all the fibreglass at a certain point, possibly around 1962, came from Savage Fibreglass Industries.

Then Jack moved to Sydney and his son, John took over the tinnies (Alumacraft) and Dad and Jack split the business around 1970.

So thanks again for your help and interest.

Gillian

PS 'Electra' was my favourite runabout model.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:16:21 PM by Electra » Logged
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 06:40:14 AM »

Thanks Gillian and very interesting . That ad was from Seacraft Nov 1961 in the bottom small print ,

Not to get into history too much but there was another Electra ,a sea nymph or Goddess ,the mother of Iris by the Sea Titan Thaumas .
Guess that is the nautical connection.Phew! Enough!

Neil

Hard a' starboard
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 03:29:14 PM »

Gillian and Neil, great info. I notoce the 14 ft Knockabout, My dad purchased one of those (Powered by the Aussie 5hp Riptide ). it had a yellow deck (matched the yellow tank on the Riptide). Dad always commented how well it rode because of the inbuilt boyancy. I must have been more attune to Archimedes even as a fledgling, but dad would have none of it. He maintained it rode well because of the inbuilt boyancy.
By the way I always drooled over the Electra, what a classic shape.
David   
Electra

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »

Yep, Archimedes Schmarkimedes... it's got that in-built boyancy!
Gillian
jk2211

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 05:28:10 PM »

Hi.... We own a great 16ft Savage Pacific and looking for the original metal badging..... can someone help me.

Johanna   Smiley
whitwaz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 07:40:37 AM »

Hi everyone, I am new to " The Board" and am the proud owner of a 6m Savage Marlin, I love my boat enough to put her though a full rebuild and am too looking for badging for her.  Any help would be appreciated.
whitwaz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 07:42:56 AM »

Also thankyou to everyone providing background into Savage history, I read every blog and would love to hear anymore.
Electra

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 10:32:27 AM »

Hi there

It's been a rough few days for the Savage family...Dad (Tom) passed away on Thursday after a brief stay in hospital.  He died as he had lived - quietly and without a fuss.

We will all miss him dearly.

Gillian
slowpoke
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 12:14:09 PM »

Gillian,
That is sad to report. Thank you for informing us.
Although most of us would never have met your Dad and got to know him, we share his enthusiasm for boats and boating and there is no doubt he (and his father) contributed much to boating in Australia.

May he Rest In Peace.

Ken
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: