logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2018, 09:25:59 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960 Evinrude 10hp.  (Read 6333 times)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »

In addition to my 1963 Merc 85hp, I have just recently acquired this beaut little Evinrude. She's in not too bad nick, and sill turns over quite OK.
Sometime after buying her, I was at the local wrecker picking up some parts for the Merc, and I couldn't help myself from buying some bits for the 'rude, but I'm going to try and concentrate on the Merc first and finish one project at a time.
I bought the 'rude a prop, a prop nut and a nylon pin that connects the throttle linkage between the twist grip and the throttle arm inside the cowl. I just need a fuel line connector which looks like it mounts on the tiller arm and I'd say she is ready to be fired up.

MERCMAN. 

* 10hp__Evinrude_r.JPG (50.76 KB, 500x752 - viewed 409 times.)

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »

Nice to see you've left the dark side MERCMAN. It looks to be in fair condition, complete with original Hunt's Marine sticker on the cowl.I've got a few spare connectors if you want one.

Oldenrude.
bootlegger
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »

Its official. More than two of anything makes you a collector. Your life is now over. Grin
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 07:35:04 AM »

I don't know about leaving the dark side Michael,
This is the fourth OMC product I've owned so far, and I'm yet to be convinced.
One of those motors was even purchased brand new in a box, and I raced it for a number of years.
As I've mentioned before,
 there are and has been good motors and not so good motors in both manufacturers ranges over the years.
Thank you for the offer on the connector, I'll take you up on that.

Funny what you say Bootlegger, that's exactly what MERCMUM said when I dragged home the little 'rude. My life IS now over.  Shocked

MERCMAN.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:19:52 PM »

Earlier today I went over to the Farm. I had some room in the boot, so I decided to bring one of my motors home. The first to come home was the 'rude.
This arvo' the rain started just after I finished mowing the lawns, so I retreated to my shed where I couldn't resist fooling around with the little 'rude.
I thought I had better check the impeller before I attempt to fire her up. It didn't look too bad at all in there, given the fact she's 49 years old! However, I did discover a bolt missing from the shift shaft coupling and the impeller was reasonable but I will replace it during the restoration process.
In the interim I'll put the box back on and have a go at firing her up sometime during the week, time permitting.
By the way, she seems to have bags of compression. Cool

Thanks for those Lower Mount Bracket/Covers, Olderude. I fitted them as well.

MERCMAN.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:16:12 AM »

Well guys,
It's been a long time coming.. I've stared to restore my 10hp.
Late last year I purchased a 10' tinny with trailer, now I'm pretty enthusiastic to get the little 'rude running.
The 'rude didn't want to kick at all, so it was off with the flywheel to discover fairly new coils and condensers had be fitted at some stage. The points could be some what better. I'll replace them whilst I'm at it. I feel the real problem was a plug lead disconnected from one of the coils? We'll find out for sure, once she's re- assembled.

Whilst working on her, I removed the cylinder head to discover more sand in the galleries than Kurnell.
I'm now waiting on a timing fixture and a coil locating ring from http://www.franksoutboardtools.com/ and a new head gasket from http://www.laingsoutboards.com/

Since ordering the tools and parts I removed to carbie float to find it looking like a dried apricot. Perhaps I can buy one of those locally?

When time permits and I get to re-assemble, I'll keep you posted.

RUDEMAN.

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 10:41:43 AM »

A warm welcome to the 'Board' RUDEMAN .
If there is anything you don't know just refer to our MERCMAN .  Wink
The Twin takes me back to a 14 year old planing the Georges' River .

BTW do you know where Frank lives as he ships to Canada and US ?

Cheers Neil

Hard a' starboard
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 07:31:56 AM »

G'day Neil,
Frank lives in Sarasota Florida. The supplier of the Head Gasket.. Jeff, lives in Niagra NY State. Both people were an absolute pleasure to deal with. I spoke on the phone with Jeff for quite some time, he is a country type of a guy.
My parcel was posted early last week. I'm guessing it may even arrive sometime this week?

RUDEMAN.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 02:48:22 PM »

Hi all,
The parcel arrived from the USA on Thursday 02/03, yipee! Now I have a (new/old stock) Head Gasket, a Timing Fixture Tool and a Coil Locating Ring Tool. Both of these tools are beautifully hand crafted by Frank Robb and I have no doubt they will do the job for which they are designed.

During next week I'll buy some brand new head bolts and washers, copper wired plug leads and hopefully a carbie kit for the little 'rude. That should do it for the time being. Once she proves to me she's a great runner, I'll dismantle her and conduct a complete resto' on the paint and decals.

Neil, once I get her running you'll have to come down the coast for a trip down Broughton Creek.. all the way to the Shoalhaven River. We'll do it in the arvo and have a few beers along the way! That will bring back boating memories.
Mark S, what HP and year is that 'rude I sent to Port Melbourne ages ago? Perhaps you can assist me with a carbie kit and some other bits and pieces I require?
Also, I require advice on how to reset both the high and low speed jets to their factory settings, following a strip and clean. That will be fun indeed.

RUDEMAN.

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 07:23:29 AM »

Sounds good Rudeman .Look forward to it .

Evineil

Hard a' starboard
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 02:12:56 PM »

That's clever Neil.

Mark, I'll send you a detailed email. Thank you.

RUDEMAN.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:34:35 PM by MERCMAN » Logged

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 09:35:22 AM »

Following an earlier conversation with Mark, he is now compiling a whole bunch of new parts to send to me in the not too distant future.

Carbie Kit, Fuel Connectors, Plug Leads + Caps, Shear Pins and Spark Plugs, just to name a few.

I'm still on the hunt for new or used Head Bolts still in good condition.

Oh, thank you for the info' on the high and low speed Jets, Mark.

MERCMAN.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »

Mark S is posting all my parts to me sometime today. Many thanks Mark.

My 10hp tilts up quite fine but won't stay there. Can anybody tell me how this little motor is suppose to REMAIN tilted when trailering or when the boat is pulled up on the beach? There doesn't appear to be any latch etc that I can find. Is the idea to simply tighten the hell out of the nut at the end of the Tilt Tube and hope friction does the job?

In the picture of my motor at the top of this Thread, you can see a home made device hanging down near the Tilt Pin location. This is something which has been cobbled together out of mild steel by a previous owner. When lifted into place, this device holds the motor up at about 45 degrees only. A bit like a "shallow water tilt" would do!

Surely, I'm missing something here... OMC wasn't that silly.

RUDEMAN.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:22:52 AM by MERCMAN » Logged

Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »

Yep and Yep, you've worked it out Guy.

Relied on friction to hold them up by adjusting the tension nut which has a heavy spring behind it to hold tension on the bushes.

When transporting you need to use a block of wood to hold them up.

I've got no further comments.

Mark S.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »

Rodger!

RUDEMAN.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: