logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2018, 11:19:43 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1963 14ft Caribbean Belmont skiboat with white 85hp Mercury Outboard  (Read 9366 times)
caribbean

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2007, 06:24:26 PM »

Hi Guys,
             I am new to this site.
I have a red 14ft 1963 Caribbean Belmont ski/runabout with white 85 hp Mercury Outboard on the back.I have spent many years restoring the boat but now it is time to bite the bullet.The motor is f#@$!?.It is a short shaft motor and finding a replacement in that hp is proving impossible.The transom is in fair condition.I have heard of conversion plates or should I just replace the transom to suit a long shaft outboard?
Cheers
Caribbean
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 06:52:17 PM »

Welcome aboard Caribbean, I would love to see a photo of your rig. It's a shame the old merc has had it. I don't really know what you should do with your transom, perhaps some of the more knowledgable members will give you an opinion.

Regards, oldenrude.
caribbean

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 07:13:14 PM »

here it is oldenrude

* Image043_2.jpg (55.77 KB, 400x300 - viewed 266 times.)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 07:34:10 PM »

Hello Caribbean ET ALL. Great to have you on board, the boat looks great, well done.
We have discussed the pros and cons of building up the transom in previous posts. Basically It's your decision. It is somewhat a shame to change from the original design, but it's your choice and it requires extra work, but it can be done. There are other short shaft outboards about of this HP. Maybe Black Mercs. What is f#@$ed  about your donk? Where are you situated? I'm sure a board member would be interested in it if you really want to opt out of reconditioning it.
Regards David
caribbean

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 07:51:23 AM »

Hi Chairman,
                    Thanks for the reply.Can someone direct me to the transom post?You are right.It would probably ruin the look of the original boat to alter the transom but what are my options?
           If I were to buy a new motor what is the largest hp short shaft outboard available in Australia?I am thinking possibly a four stroke but what I know about outboards you could write on a stamp.I think the existing transom is probably OK but have been advised a couple of times to replace it(short shaft) if I am buying a new motor and don't wish to go diving in Sydney Harbour to retrieve it.
             I thought there was some kind of steel conversion plate that bolts on and turns a short shaft to a long shaft.
          As for the old motor:I have probably spent $2000-$3000 on it over the last 10 years.From replacing all the electrics,solenoids,starter motor,coils, new gearbox,water pump,having to put a blow torch on the paint to get the steering to work,accelerator cables.The list is endless. The local marine mechanics actually laugh at me when I bring it in.The number of times I have broken down out on the water I can't count.
           The final straw came at the Millenium Fireworks Display on Sydney Harbour New Years Eve 1999.After 6 months getting ready for the big night we took the boat out and it broke down again.While trying to get the motor started I slipped and badly dislocated my shoulder and missed the whole night.I have not been out in the boat since.
           I would love to fully recondition it but I just don't know anyone in Sydney who would know how to do it properly or have the patience.Now we have a young family and I have been strongly advised by the cook that no one is going out in that thing until we have a new motor!
       All opinions gratefully received.
Caribbean
Javelin
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 12:28:43 PM »

Hi Caribbean

Here are the links to my and JEBx4's Javelin's. My Javelin has an aluminium converter plate to allow the long shaft outboard (just click on the link then its the Photo near the bottom of the thread).

JEBx4 has changed the transom design (which i think looks heaps better, i wish i had done this). Either way they both work.
I was worried about the strength of my converter plate but its been on there for 30+ years without a problem.

Hope it helps
Javelin

http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=147.0

http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=298.90

Have Fun on the Water
Javelin
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 08:02:26 AM »

Hello Caribbean,
Sorry I've missed your posts, I've been away for the weekend.
I have some very interesting information to share with you.
For starters..
I know how to get some $$ for your White Merc Grin, plus I know of a couple of replacement power plants (both short shaft) that can be fitted to your beautiful Australian Classic Runabout.
Call 0409 110 035.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
caribbean

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:05:09 PM »

Thanks for the info Javelin.There is some good stuff there.I will take it all on board.
Mercman, thanks for the advice.I will be calling you shortly.
I was wondering if the Chairman had any more thoughts on this topic?
Cheers
Caribbean
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 05:07:17 PM by caribbean » Logged
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 10:50:16 PM »

Again, it's a personal choice. Sounds like you've had bad luck with the white merc. Mercman sounds like your best bet. If you were to exend with a bracket (which I have seen done) it would put extra stress on the transom.

Regards
David.
JEBx4
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 12:04:28 AM »

Hi Caribbean

My nephew's Javelin has a well made aluminium transom extension and it looks the part and works well. I have the plans for it if you or anyone is interested in having one made up. The main reason I decided to go for the built in extension was that my entire transom was totally stuffed and delaminated and required a complete rebuild. It was less trouble to long shaft it and make it like I think it would have been done by the factory, than to make it a shorty and have to make an extension after. However for you, if your transom is solid an extension is probably your easiest option. As for boat engine reliability etc, it's of paramount importance and can be a life preserving issue, especially when kids are part of the crew. Its not quite, but nearly as important as aeroplane engine reliability. If you cant get your old engine reliable for whatever reason, upgrade to a reliable one. The fact is that a lot of o/b mechanics regard older outboards as unviable to fix because once they charge their $70/hr, few people are enthusiastic about spending large amounts of money and still ending up with an old motor. Thank goodness there are people on this forum who have an appreciation of the value of preservation of the older technologies above other things and who are a wonderful source of knowledge, help and inspiration. They will no doubt help with advice which will help you make a decision which is best for you.
Good luck

John
JEBx4
caribbean

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 05:14:37 PM »

Thanks for the advice David and John,
                                                         You guys are great but nobody has answered the question so I will ask it again.

WHAT IS THE LARGEST HP NEW SHORT SHAFT OUTBOARD AVAILABLE IN AUSTRALIA?

The Mercman has been in touch and lives close by and I will be catching up with him soon to get answers to all my questions.I will keep you all posted on the outcome.
Regards,
Carribbean
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 06:32:27 PM »

Hi Caribbean, The boat looks good in the photo, I've always been a fan of the belmont styling.To answer your question the largest short shaft available new would be a 50hp Tohatsu I think . So you're going to have to modify the transom either way if you go for new. As David [chairman ] was saying you should be able to find any number of older short shafts around the  HP  you require but then you would probably end up with reliabilty issues again.I wish you luck whichever way you decide to go.

oldenrude.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 09:21:04 PM »

Hi Michael,
My guess would be a Tohatsu as well. A quick check of the Tohatsu website just confirmed our thoughts.
However, I was quite surprised to see Tohatsu now offers remote controls, remote steering, electric start as well as TNT on the 50hp. (that's providing their website depicts what is actually brought into our country and not what the plant manufactures)
This time last year when I was making enquiries for "Newboater" all Tohatsu imported in the 50hp range was a tiller steer with a ripcord, and that's not much fun on a Javelin at all.
I'll make some enquiries tomorrow and get to the bottom of it.

Anyway Caribbean, one of the first things we need to establish in order for you to commence gathering further info', is to see how soft your transom really is.
This is a simple, painless, free of charge, non destructive and reasonably indicative test. I'm happy to show you how.
Once the strength and integrity of your transom has been established, numerous options can be explored and even discussed with the knowledgeable members of The Board, then all associated costs can be determined, so a well informed decision of which road to follow can be made by you.

Cheers
MERCMAN.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 10:12:15 AM »

Well Caribbean, we have a little more news for you.
I've spoken with a Tohatsu Dealer who claims you can now order a 15" (short shaft) 50hp with remote steering, remote control and electric start. Although, optional TNT is only available in the 20"
.http://www.tohatsu.com.au/m50.htm

That's real good news for those Board Members considering repowering older boats with a flash new motor.
Once the order is placed, it will take about 3 months for the unit to arrive from Japan.  Price.. $5900 inc tank, prop, control box. Transom bolts and control cables extra.
The Board can certainly help with the pricing on this product should you wish to go down that road at a later date.

MERCMAN.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 01:13:29 PM by MERCMAN » Logged

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »

Here is a vessel the same as "caribbeans" beaut boat.
The fellow selling it says it has a 50hp Merc.
Clearly, the motor is a twin cylinder 50hp Evinrude!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/16ft-CARRIBEAN-FISH-SKI-BOAT-50HP-MERCURY-TRAILER_W0QQitemZ290182995012QQihZ019QQcategoryZ102700QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Note: Someone has taken a short cut to strengthen the transom, it looks terrible on such a Classic Runabout.

MERCMAN.

* Caribbean_with_Evinrude.jpg (27.98 KB, 400x300 - viewed 228 times.)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: