logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2021, 11:21:24 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Victa 125cc outboard  (Read 13815 times)
Wood Nut

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2007, 03:27:15 PM »

This might be a bit of a rare one. Victa outboard - "jet propelled". Over 40 years old, still runs. On eBay.

Greg

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VICTA-250cc-OUTBOARD-JET-PROPELLED-GOES-WELL-1940-s_W0QQitemZ260110631639QQihZ016QQcategoryZ26451QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem
Javelin
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »

Pic of the Victa mower sorry Outboard listed on ebay

* f6c1_1_b.jpg (27.33 KB, 400x300 - viewed 1326 times.)

Have Fun on the Water
Javelin
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:24:50 PM »

When I was a kid, my Uncle Bob had a Victa jet outboard similar to that. (aprox 1964)

It was horribly noisy (being air cooled), it was very slow, it vibrated the nails and everything else out of his timber dinghy, it had no gears.. just 360 deg turn for reverse and when you did that, I remember being burnt on the arm by the side of the red hot muffler which was at that point blowing exhaust and red hot pieces of rust (from the muffler) all over everyone and everything in the dinghy.

Later that evening, all the crew were still shouting at each other 'cause we were almost stone deaf from a pleasant day out on the water. (Berrara Creek)
No wonder they didn't catch on. Thank God for real outboards.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Rob
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 09:29:44 AM »

There were several companies that used Victa power plants for outboards (propellor driven). I'm not 100% sure the jets were made by Vocta themselves (is anyone else??). I do have an excellent contact who used to run their machine shop at Belmore so will ask and report back when I can.

I've got a one owner Lawrence (from memory) here that addresses some of the issues. It has a cast aluminium engine shroud rather than the standard Victa tinware which helped the noise a little. I'll dig it out and post a pic some time.

I believe they died a death early as I've never seen anything but the 125cc motors on them standard. You can of course retro fit fit a 160cc setup.

I don't believe the jets went as well as a 5cc propellor outboard unless the seller had a real dog.

Cheers,
Rob
blitzen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »

How many 'jet'propelled outboards have been built in Australia? Are there any that are not Villiers powered?  Victa Jet , Cox Gulpy, Hartman Jet, Tom Boy and Easy Jet are some , how many more?  Cheers Blitzen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: