logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2018, 12:08:25 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Historic Outboard journeys in Australia  (Read 59820 times)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2007, 01:39:32 PM »

In the 60s I remember someone travelled from the Australian mainland to Tasmania in I think a Mouldcraft with maybe twin West Bend outboards.
Also Hans Tholstrup circumnavigated Australia in a 16ft Outboard runabout. I remember seeing this boat at the boatshow back then. Was it a Caribbean? Does anyone have any more info on historic Outboard journeys in Australia? I'm sure there must be a plethera of information in old boating magazines.
David
Rob
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:55:18 PM »

"Two Blokes and a Tinnie" recently aired on the telly althought they cheated a bit with a trailer in parts, they travelled the Darling from source to sea.
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:59:54 PM »

Gee you must have a slow day in the office today David.

Re- Hans Tholstrup's boat. I'm sure I serviced that boat about 20 years ago. The history that the owner at the time told me is the same as what you say. I thought he was pulling my leg.
Yes it was a Caribbean or a Pride of that length. Orange in colour with a red band 80hp Mercury of around 1970-71 vintage. It had something sign written on the side of the boat. That's all the grey memory can recall at the moment. I think all of our service records from the 80's have been destroyed, but I'll check. I can remember the owner came from the Mornington Peninsula and had a holiday house in Byron Bay, so the boat could be anywhere now. Maybe someone could post a photo of it. Am I thinking of the same boat?
Mark S.
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 04:17:59 PM »

Never bored when it comes to The Board  Grin
Spot on Mark, it's just as I remember it, sort of a redish orange I recall. Let's hope someone has a picture. It's interesting, that hardly a mention about it can be found on Google search. They do mention his trip from Darwin to Japan in a Haines Signature. The exact year he did the Aussie trip would help, as you say probably 1970.
David
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 04:22:47 PM by Chairman » Logged
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 06:56:03 AM »

I'm back from a weekend away.
I believe I still have the Modern Boating mags' with article on Han's trip around Aust. I recall it was written over 3 issues. It kept me very interested indeed.
I'll have a grub around and see what I can turn up.
Mark S, the vintage of his boat is correct. It was a Carribean with a 7.5hp Merc auxiliary. Lucky he had the auxiliary, as the 80hp was swamped at one stage of his epic journey.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:59:45 PM »

Back now, what a top 4X4 camping trip on the weekend.
Anyway, back to Has Tholstrups amazing solo journey of 9249 miles around Australia.
I've managed to locate a Modern Boating Mag dated Feb 1971 ($0.40 by the way) and it has the final leg of the trip as its feature. I'll have to dig up some previous issues at a later date.
The boat was indeed orange/reddish in colour and its name was Tom Thumb.   The sign writing on the side was as follows. BP logo ( in green and gold) at the bow, The rego KW33N (in white), Kieth Whitehead Marine (in white) Caribbean Boats, (in white) a huge decal saying Mercury Powered (in black, red & white).
More later.

MERCMAN.

Boatleg

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »

Hi all. I have just stumbled onto this site. I hope you don't mind some extra input.
I have just purchased (on Tuesday) an orange Caribbean Cougar (Sunset Orange is what it was called). This is in fact the boat that Hans used for his journey. Mine has it's original Blueband in-line 6, 150hp engine. The boat that Hans ran actually had twin mercs (Not sure of the hp). I have an original International Marine colour brochure/catalogue that lists in detail all the Caribbean models from that era (late 70's). My father is actually pictured in one of the boats in the brochure as he sold the boats in Melb many years ago. Hans' 'Tom Thumb' is featured inside the front cover of the catalogue with a small caption on his amazing circumnavigation. I will bring it to work tomorrow and scan an image for the forum.
I would like to keep my current merc running as long as possible. I have included a photo of my latest purchase. I have alot of work to do now to clean her up a bit.  Glad I found the site.  Boatleg.

* Cougar.jpg (86.72 KB, 1055x791 - viewed 899 times.)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 01:30:27 PM »

Welcome aboard Boatleg. And thanks for the info re the Cougar

It'd be great to hear more from you.  Where are you situated?

David
Boatleg

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 01:37:13 PM »

Hello Chairman.
I am located in Bonbeach, Melb.(or at least until my wife kicks me out for bringing home the Cougar on Tuesday night).
Who said a man can't have two boats at the one time?
Cheers Boatleg.
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 04:45:32 PM »

Naaa! thats a fallacy. You need one for each season  Grin.
Do you launch at Patterson river? I generally launch at Mordi.
David
Boatleg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 04:52:05 PM »

Mostly Patto. Sometimes Sorrento.

Boatleg.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 08:46:24 AM »

Yes, welcome aboard Boatleg,
A fine looking craft you have, definitely a great sea boat.

The Cougar that Hans navigated around Australia did have two Mercs. However, they were not twins. The main power plant was a 4cyl, 80hp whilst the auxiliary was a 2cyl, 7.5hp.
I recall the only time Hans had to fire up the 7.5hp was during a huge storm when a rouge wave swamped the boat from the stern and his one and only 12 volt battery was totally submerged in sea water, thus shorting out the vessels electrics.
What an amazing epic journey it was.

MERCMAN.

Boatleg

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 09:29:37 AM »

Mercman, Right you are about the number of motors. I guess my recollection was the photo in the brochure with twins on driven by the young couple. (If only I could get mine back to that sort of condition)
So as promised, clippings from the catalogue below.

If anybody would like similar clippings/specs re: other models, just sing out.
Models covered: Colt, Caper, Navigator, Comaro, Caprice, Safari, Invader, Crestcutter, Cougar, Baron, Catalina, Commodore(Deluxe & Day Cruiser), Reef Runner, Adventurer, Crusader Sports Cruiser, Crusader, Corsair. It's a real trip back in time to see the fashions worn in those days. (No offence to anybody older than myself meant).

Boatleg.

* Tom_Thumb__Hans.jpg (20.89 KB, 551x296 - viewed 1502 times.)

* Tom_Thumb__Hans_text.jpg (10.39 KB, 239x194 - viewed 617 times.)

* Cougar_Brochure.jpg (58.79 KB, 933x438 - viewed 823 times.)

* Cougar_Photo.jpg (66.43 KB, 949x577 - viewed 691 times.)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 02:20:41 PM »

Hi Boatleg,
What a sensational collection of Caribbean information you have.
I'm quite sure it will come in very handy as soon The Board attracts even more members who own those Classic Australian Runabouts which play a very important part in the early history of retro boating.

I noticed you failed to mention one my Caribbean favourites: the Donzie.
You may well recall them, they had that Yankee look and feel to them. They were from around the 1966 mark and about a 16 footer, available with a hard top, usually in an aqua/teal sort of colour, with a similar paint design to the Savage Pursuit Deluxe.

MERCMAN.

Boatleg

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 03:12:22 PM »

Mercman, Now you are showing your age.
You've got to admit, the colours of modern boats have nothin' on these oldies.

"Can't get enough of boats"

Boatleg.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: