logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2018, 06:11:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New/Old Javelin Fans  (Read 33335 times)
JEBx4
Board God

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2007, 08:03:03 PM »

When I was a knee biter in Albany WA in the early sixties, my parents bought an olive green Savage Javelin ski boat which was used by our family for skiing, fishing and as a general runabout. It became the centre of activity for our family and friends and for the four or five years of ownership we grew very fond of it. My two older brothers left home in about 1966 and the S.J. was sold to a wheat belt farming family, and replaced eventually with a more fishing orientated SteberCraft. The Javelin passed into family folklore with only a few surviving photos.
Recently my nephew David, (son of an older brother) bought a Javelin rather cheaply in Perth, which after a bit of TLC started performing beautifully. He was not around when we had the old boat but his appreciation of good design and family history had him delving deeper into the boat’s history. He rang to ask me about another S.J. I had seen in someone’s back yard years ago and I suggested he ring the family who bought our old boat to see if they still had it, and if so would they like to sell it to us. After a few long distance phone calls, the answer was yes to both questions! I have made an arrangement to inspect and probably buy the boat this weekend. Although the trailer and boat are unregistered, the boat still rides on the trailer my father built in 1962 and the original 40 hp Johnson is still a runner. It no doubt needs a thorough restoration but has been in a shed and is probably in reasonable condition. We are really exited about this as we feel the wheel has really turned full circle, but it has taken 42 years! I will try posting a photo to follow this story.

John
JEBx4
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 08:06:29 PM »

This photo shows my brothers doing a single-ski jump start at Emu Point Albany probably about 1962.

* Javelin@EPoint2LR2.jpg (64.75 KB, 640x545 - viewed 327 times.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:35:16 PM by JEBx4 » Logged
JEBx4
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 08:11:08 PM »

This photo shows my brothers and sister at Emu Point Albany probably about 1962.

* SavageJavelinCropped.jpg (83.94 KB, 781x399 - viewed 410 times.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:35:54 PM by JEBx4 » Logged
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 09:16:47 AM »

Hi John,
It'd be fantastic to restore it after all this time and still with the original engine and trailer.
Do you know what year it was purchased, it looks like an early build, having a large "S" badge. The badge on the later ones were half that width. And it has a "Savage" stick on transfer, rather than the chrome badge the later models had. This would have to indicate early 60s. Would be interested to know the serial number.
Best of luck in the purchase, Cheers, Mark S.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »

Hello John,
Your story and photos supplied will certainly generate a great deal of interest with the The Board members who are Javelin fanatics. I'm sure they can't wait to see more recent photos.
A family friend had a brand new olive green Javelin in 1962 or 1963. I'll have to check with him, and get back to you on that.
I haven't seen any olive green other than the above, quite possibly it may be rather unique.
Perhaps we might hear from other members about the colour?

I'm sure you will hear from our Chairman early next week.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
JEBx4
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 09:22:06 AM »

I am fortunate to have my father’s diaries, kept meticulously from 1948 to 1998. I have researched them and found the details associated with the purchase of the SJ. Without wishing to bore you, I have summarised the relevant details:
Sept 18 1963: “We have almost decided to buy a 12ft fibreglass boat and 28hp Johnson outboard new.”
Sept 22 (Sun): “At 8am we went to Emu Point and had a demo in the new boat. It performs well (over 30mph) with the 28hp motor on, and rides well.
“We have decided to get the outfit, and the next boat should be here in 2 or 3 weeks. The boys and I spent the afternoon on repairs on our old boat. It is going to take a lot of work.”
Sept 23: “Boys and I set to work and did most of the fibreglassing and sealing of the old boat today.”
Sept 29 (Sun): “We painted the last coat of white on our old boat. Went to Emu Pt this afternoon and had a demo in the new Savage Javelin F/glass speedboat (36mph). Very nice.”
Oct 3: “Took our repaired bondwood boat in to Tropical Traders this morning. Traded in on our new boat, due here next week from Melbourne.”
Oct 6: (all figures in Pounds £ and this details how Dad was going to get the money for the boat)
Tradeable Assets                Boat Expenses   
Trade-in old boat  £200        Javelin               £380
Fishing net                23     40hp                   £360
Old sawbench           50     Controls                 14
New sawbench         40       Total                   £754
Old trailer                  30     Less trade-in’s    343
Total                      £343    12 mthly paymts  £34-5-0
                                          Interest                5-0
                                          Total mth paymt  £34-10-0

Oct 7: “Today we decided not to get the Bosun Fisherman F-glass boat and 28hp outboard, but to get the Savage Javelin speedboat and a 28hp superseeded (sic)  Johnson motor.”
Oct 13 (Sun): “We all went to Emu Pt this morning and used our new Javelin speedboat all day, and had a thrilling time.” (strangely, no mention of taking delivery)
Oct 20 (Sun): “The boys and I took our new boat fishing at Emu Pt today but got no fish. After lunch the boys took the boat to Emu Pt and did some skiing. A south-west wind made the channel very choppy and rough for skis. I took (named friends) to Green Island to see birds nests and eggs. We had a good afternoon.”
Nov 3 (Sun): “Terry, John & I took our new boat for a run from Emu Pt to the Inner Harbour this morning, and then up to the King R and back. A beaut run. Terry stayed at the Pt till 4pm.”
Nov 22: “We took the boat and outboard motor to a mechanic to overhaul the engine. It leaks oil and has a broken prop boss. I am negotiating with Trop. Traders to change the manual 28hp motor for a superseded electric 40hp Johnson.”

Over the next 4 years the pattern of heavy use on Sundays and holidays continued.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 09:27:29 AM by JEBx4 » Logged
newboater
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »

Thanks John,

Great read, must be fabulous to be able to look back like that.

Paul.
Javelin
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 01:23:49 PM »

Yes Thanks John

Look forward to hearing about what she is like now and seeing some photos of the restoration (if it needs it that is?)

Chris

Have Fun on the Water
Javelin
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 07:10:41 AM »

Hi John. I bet you are excited to be buying the old boat back after 42 years. I hope all goes well &  I am looking forward to seeing photos of how she looks now.

Michael
JEBx4
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 10:40:52 PM »

I ended up paying $500 buckeroos but thats ok with me. Today my two brothers and sister  travelled 200kms down to check out the old girl and all were impressed and really chuffed. Lots of photos were taken and fun and remenissing. There is a lot of work to do and we couldn't get the motor to run. Only one cylinder was sparking so one of the coils is probably cactus. The transome will probably need a rebuild, seats rebuilt from scratch and the hull and deck need restoring, probably painting, the windscreen replaced and the bollards chromed, oh and I'll probably replace the motor. Other than that its in pristine condition!
Check out the photo and compare with the one in the channel! The same people are in the boat in the same position.
I will need lots of advice on things like seats, transom replacement, windscreen replacement and painting fibreglass. Although the romantic thought of using the old motor appeals to me, I've had lots of hassels with old motors before, even though I have reconditioned a couple, and may opt for the convenience, reliability and efficiency of a newer motor.
JB

* SJ40yrsonlr2 .jpg (71.08 KB, 640x386 - viewed 428 times.)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 08:07:02 PM »

Hello John.

I have just returned from a boating weekend to find your fantastic story. It is always better to try to restore the F/G than paint it if it isn't too bad. Like an old car, it can be polished. On my Javelin I didn't have to do the transom, as for replacing it, it's best to do this from the inside rather than the outside. If the floor is soft replace this and if you can post pictures of the original seats we can advise about this also.
Collectively there is plenty of info to help you already posted on the board, but please ask and we will help all we can. Also it's not boring it's great to read the family history.

Now I'm always trying to convince people to keep their old motor. It looks great on that boat and it matches the era. So please consider a rebuild or a tart up. It's worth it. Unfortunately not many mechanics want to work on them and a lot has to be done youself, but look at it as a fun project. Alternatively you could buy a spare donk like this one going cheap   
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Boat-timber-40-hp-Johnson-motor-trailer-winch-etc_W0QQitemZ250087668345QQihZ015QQcategoryZ102698QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards David (Chairman)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:36:57 PM by chairman » Logged
JEBx4
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 12:36:26 AM »

Thanks to Mercman, Mark, Paul, Chris, Michael and David for your interest and advice. I'll be needing plenty more no doubt. The boat serial no. is 1326, Mark, bought in Sept '63. The out board is a '62 model bought in '63.
Yesterday was a buzz having the family down from Perth for the reunion, they all crawled over it and in it and fondled her tenderly like a long lost girlfriend!! So many good times and memories are tied up in that pretty little lady.
Now back to business.
One coil is not sparking, the insulation is cracked and we suspect the spark is earthing out before it gets out so will reinsulate and try again.
I took the motor off to get a close look at the transom and confirmed it certainly needs a rebuild as the ply has delaminated and has abit of movement. I took the boat to Bunbury this arvo and had it inspected by a boat/fibreglassing guru who immediatly summed up the situation and recommended a transom transplant from the inside with knee braces to reinforce transome to floor (which is sound). I also need to decide pretty soon what to do about a motor because the old one is a short shaft, and all major outboard makers stopped making short shafts long ago. So if I up grade to a moden motor I will need to build in a 20" transom, which will future proof the boat, but make the old motor unusable. First job is to get the motor running to assess its viability and go from there.
The top fibreglass is crazed with many fine cracks in the gelcoat and will need painting. The hull has had some ruffish repairs to repair minor dings and a worn keel line, so unfortunately a good buff is not going to be good enough for either.
I would be very grateful if anyone has got plans/details of the back to back seat frames which I will make then get upholstered. I've had a pretty good look around the 'Board' and got some good useful info already.   David I understand what you mean about keeping the old motor, my heart says keep it and restore it and my head says lie down till the feeling passes and get a nice modern motor.
Advantages of going modern are; reliability, power trim/tilt, fuel efficiency, quietness and going with a transom which can accomodate any modern motor.
Advantages of going status quo; it looks good hanging off the back as it matches the boat, gives me the satisfaction of reconditioning the old fart and is much cheaper.
Sorry just thinking aloud. By the way, I'm new to this chat board stuff so if I am doing anything wrong dont hestitate to tell me.

Cheers
John

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 07:43:43 AM »

John
You are doing it right and you tell a great story. Don't forget we are inclined to be bored when there's no activity on the board.
If you read some of the other posts about building up the transom, you must consider the aesthetics. The short shaft tucks the motor away and balances the boat.
Yes fuel is a consideration, but not insurmountable. The outboard is still an integral part of the "outfit" The originality of the boat is compromised. However having said that, I changed the colour of my black Merc on my Stylecraft to red to make it look like the older models. With such a small motor (40hp) lifting it is simple. We lifted the merc 110 on my Javelin manually without any probs, its part of vintage boating.
Maybe a consideration is saving money on the motor and having the gelcote re done on the Jav. Stunning!
Having said all this, it's not about me, its about your requirements and your final decision is the correct one. Just wanted to give you some extraneous points to consider.
David   

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:46:15 AM by chairman » Logged
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 07:56:30 AM »

having a large "S" badge. The badge on the later ones were half that width. And it has a "Savage" stick on transfer, rather than the chrome badge the later models had.
This info on the way the Javelin had evolved is priceless Mark. I didn't realise there were so many variations. Finding the complete story on the Javelin will be like uncovering the Holy Grail.
David
JEBx4
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 09:17:35 AM »

Thanks again for your thoughts about the motor, David.
Can someone explain to me that my boat is 13'4" and has squared tunnel chines, where as the later models are 14' and angled tunnel chines? Are there any bad handling traits of the earlier model which they were trying to correct?

John
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: