logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 04:11:50 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vintage Caribbean boats  (Read 74571 times)
Brucie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 09:43:39 PM »

Definitely not going to cut any holes any where in the old girl.  Just have to come up with a few innovative ways to mount some modern things without affecting the olden appeal.  I stuck my head up under the dash to have a look at mounting options and wouldn't you know it there is already an old radio and speaker hidden up in there.  Don't think it works but that is where ill put the replacement.

I don't have the luxury of having a boat for collections sake.  I really want something practical, for skiing, fishing and the family.  Sounder rod holders live bait tank lights esky, where to put them.I bought this boat on price and now feel i have an obligation to restore it into something special. I will do my best.  I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

Talking to everyone and listening to you guys has got me all excited. (my wife is sick of me already)
If anyone is interested I will keep you informed on the progress. 

Next thing on the list is to take her for a run.  Should be right to go for sunday afternoon.  Anyone want to guess at what speed it will be capable of
Javelin
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 10:00:40 PM »

Hi Brucie

I think i can speak for all of us here that we would love to hear any and all updates, Keep em coming.

I'll put my money on 60KPH  Wink

Javelin

Have Fun on the Water
Javelin
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 10:29:01 AM »

Hello Brucie
Welcome aboard. The Crosby I owned (Brown one) was very original I may have some more pics for you. THe canopy was original. The meteor is a great looking donk also I reckon. Changing the colour is your chioce, but I'm interested to know what colours you'd choose. Do you mean the whole hull or just the deck and trim. That colour is very suited to the era, I rather like it myself, better than the cacky brown. Maybe if it's in good condition try polishing it and it may look more appealing.
David
Brucie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 07:55:55 AM »

Had to postpone sea trials.  Had a few minor setbacks and the weather wasn't the greatest.  Will try again later in the week.  The more i have to do with this old motor the more i am impressed.  I will try to post a pic of it with the cowl off.  I have not seen such a clean old motor.  My 70's 25hp wasn't a patch on it.  I will be chasing a few things for it soon.  Fuel pump diaphram, water pump and thermostat.  Any ideas where to start chasing them up from?  The local marine shop laughed at me.  There records stop at 68.

I broke a few bolts trying to get covers off.  I bought a product called a GraBit from bunnings.  A little bit of heat and they came straight out.  Handy little tool to have. 

Can't wait to get out on the water
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 08:30:24 AM »

Hi Brucie, those old girls were well made & parts can be found.
I am working on a 68 model evinrude v4 at the moment & have ordered obsolete parts from the US from a few different suppilers.So far only the ignition coil has turned up. I am still waiting on head gaskets, gearbox seal kit & a water pump impellor.
I can give you the web addresses if you like but a can't make recomendations until the parts arrive.

Michael.
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 09:04:12 AM »

Hi Brucie,I thought of something that might interest you. Go to www.fiberglassics.com  & have a look at the Dorsett boats., Caribbeans were lisenced copies.There are some great brochures of the boats & some restored examples to look at.

Michael.
Brucie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »

finally got her on the water.  Started like a dream, off i went then at full throtle it stops.  The fuel tank had a dodgy fitting and was sucking air.  $100.00 and a new tank later and we are off.  managed 35 mile/hour but it cruised nicer at 30.  I still need to iron out a few bugs.  The carbs are next.  It likes the fuel too much so i think there is a drama there.  An hour and a half and i'd run out of fuel (20 litres) Is that normal?
The choke is also a mystery to me.  It has manual and automatic settings which baffles me.

I had my daughter driving for me (11 years old) just putting up the river and some fisherman gave me the first compliment on the old girl.  They were mighty impressed as was my boating mate who saw me on the water as he drove past and had to come down for a run.

Grin All in all I am a very excited kid with his new toy.
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »

Ahh the automatic choke that never works properly. On automatic setting the choke tends to hang on for too long, causing the engine to use extra fuel. As soon as the engine doesn't need the choke to idle smoothly open the flap and turn it to the off position, overriding the auto choke. Next time you perform a cold start remember to turn it back to auto again. Try this and see how it goes. The auto choke uses the same principal as older cars from the 60s, they never worked properly either! I still remember my 1967 Fairlane V8 giving 10mpg around town.

But these old big outboards were never brilliant on fuel economy, and will use a lot of fuel at full throttle. But worth it for its quiet smooth running qualities. Also check general tuning, points gap and condition, plugs, etc.
Mark S.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 05:05:34 PM »

Hi Brucie,
Mark has provided you with some very valuble tips indeed. In Marks list of things to check (tuning),  the "etc" refers to: ignition timing, fuel pump diaphram, fuel lines (splits & cracks) and all fuel connections/clamps under the hood, float valve seating, floats and so on....
All these items can all lead to excessive fuel consumption (without effecting performance too greatly) if left unattended.

I'm sure either Mark or Oldenrude can help you with the factory settings, such as point gap            (or maybe even dwell?), plug gap and type..and timing.
Don't forget to check out the dizzy for wear and cracks as well.

What area do you live? 

MERCMAN. 

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Brucie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »

thanks very much for the info.  points look good and i will replace the plugs before next run.  the carb is also coming off for a service.  i kind of figured not to bother to much with the auto choke and have been using manual choke on cold start up.  fuel pump diaphram is stretched but still seems to be working.  I do think the timing may be a bit out though.  the timing marks don't line up like i think they should and the linkages o adjust it are opened to the max.  any ideas on setting timing?

I am in Brisbane north and run the pine river from either doles rocks or deep water bend.  There is always some calm water somewhere along there even on bad days

Brucie
Brucie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 06:41:45 PM »

Thanks Micheal I had a look at the fiberglassics website.   Cool Some nice old boats and some strange looking ones also.  Couldn't pick which Dorsett was the same as the crosby, maybe the el ray.

Brucie
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 08:02:57 PM »

Hi Brucie,
Keep a watch on Ebay or secondhand book shops for a service manual. The "Glenns publication" Outboard motor repair manual for Johnson & Evinrude outboards is a good one to get and there is the odd one floating around. Genuine manuals are like hens teeth in Australia, You might source one in the U.S. Someone like Moby Marine in Sydney sell new aftermarket manuals and should have one for your model.

Failing that, I could photocopy you some of the relevent pages out of my manual and post them to you. Email me your address if you wish to do that at "kormar@dcsi.net.au"
Mark S.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 08:45:03 PM by Mark S » Logged
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 08:49:06 PM »

Hi Michael,
I'm interested to hear of your experience of purchasing parts direct from the US. How much did your impeller cost so I can compare the price of purchasing one here. Interested to know where you purchased them from.
Mark S.
Brucie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 10:21:15 PM »

Hi Mark
I have bought parts out of the states through ebay and they were at least half the price of my local supplier.  He has part going back to at least 68 and only took a week to get them. 
The impeller for my 90 is $22 us plus freight which i thought was ok and he combines freight charges.  I bought 2 coils and 2 condensers and an impeller kit for the same price they wanted for 1 coil here

http://stores.ebay.com.au/MARINE-PARTS-WAREHOUSE_New-Johnson-Evinrude-Parts_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ104459619QQftidZ2QQtZkm
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 06:42:23 AM »

Hi Brucie, I see from your earlier post that you frequent the Pine. We'll have to meet up for a vintage boat run. I was planning on going to deep water on saturday for some sea trials.

Hi Mark. I usually buy my parts from Alan Downes & his prices on genuine are  much cheaper than the US especially when you include postage.
However in this case the coil & head gaskets [71.9 cu not 89.5cu] were NLA, so I decided to give buying from the US a go. So far the coil only has turned up & I am more than happy with the service. The coil cost US37.50, The head gskets US26.59 & the impellor US21.37.
An example of the genuine prices, I recently bought head gaskets for a 3 & a 5.5. The 3 cost AU4.68 & the 5.5 cost  Au14.80. No Us dealer can even come close to these prices.I will always give the local dealer a go first & only buy foreign when I have no choice.

Michael.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: