logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2018, 01:31:57 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vintage Caribbean boats  (Read 90446 times)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:40:17 AM »

Saw this in the bowels of a boat yard a few years ago. You don't see too many Caribbean Catalina's like this.
Also Brett looks like he has one (below)

* carrib catalina.JPG (37.9 KB, 600x450 - viewed 1166 times.)

* catalina.jpg (48.71 KB, 640x480 - viewed 982 times.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:27:15 PM by Chairman » Logged
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 07:41:53 AM »

Here's another one in the same yard, it's a Caribbean Crosby.

* carribean crosby.JPG (36.23 KB, 600x450 - viewed 1553 times.)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 08:13:10 AM »

here's another Crosby that I had for a while.

* crosby2.JPG (16.88 KB, 600x450 - viewed 1343 times.)
Boatleg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »

Chairman, How old does she have to be to be called vintage? EVery year helps I guess.

I have got the Cougar(1973) back in the water now after a bringing her back from the brink. The original Merc 1500 is running smoothly at the moment. I had forgotten how much fun being so close to the water can be.

Cheer, Boatleg.

* Cougar_Update.jpg (93.23 KB, 932x711 - viewed 1150 times.)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 07:34:16 AM »

Hello Boatleg
Sorry for the late reply, I've been on holidays. Your boat certainly would classify as a 'vintage" The brochure sure depicts vintage hairdo's  the rules are subjective I'd say.
David
Brucie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:35:27 PM »

Grin I have just purchased a crosby and want to restore her to her former glory.  where can i find information about them.  What  colours did they come in?  It is missing a few original bits.  Are they going to be impossible to find?What about the 1964 90 hp johnson meteor that powers her.  Are they any good and would that be the original motor for that boat.  seems about the same era.  Any info would be much appreciated. I will post some phots of her soon
Brucie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 11:45:09 PM »

Here is the pic of here as i bought it Cool

* fb31_1.jpg (22.33 KB, 400x300 - viewed 1258 times.)
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 06:29:04 AM »

Hello Brucie, welcome to the Board, is that the one that was on ebay last week in northern Nsw?.It looks to be in good original condition.
I am sure that the meteor would be original or at least the right era for the boat.A good motor but getting on ,most parts can still be got.Looking forward to more photos.

Michael.
Brucie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 09:00:28 AM »

Yes that is the one.  Was a bargin. I am pretty happy with it although it is going to need a bit of work.  new floor get the motor going and seats and conopy re done.  I am torn about repainting it.  I would like to keep it original but don't like the colour.  do you think a custom colour scheme would detract from its vintage appeal.  I know a lot of guys in the states paint their old boats some great colours that really stand out and i really like them
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 10:00:17 AM »

I've always been a keep it original type of person but each to his own. Maybe paint it in another colour that was optional that model.

Michael.
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 02:19:43 PM »

Hi Brucie,
Certainly is a nice boat, and I would assume that is the original engine. I'm a sticker for originality. Personally I love the colour, really suits the era. The other option is to make the colours deeper more pigment) keeping them original. If you were to change the colours I would stay with the same boundaries with the two toning. But you have something that hasn't been bastardised or painted with a brush so it would be a shame to change it. As far as the engine goes, the 90hp went well but was thirsty.

But it's your choice if you want an authentically restored boat or a user friendly classic. My personal choice would be the authentically restored boat and that always pulls the crowd.

The Crosby finished production in 1965, 16'7". Factory fitted with speedometer, back to back and rear seats. then retail price of $1490. That's all the information I have, no colour schemes mentioned.
Enjoy the classic, Mark S.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 03:55:25 PM »

Here here, Mark. Smiley
And I love the way you provide us with those interesting stats'.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Brucie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 08:17:52 AM »

I had decided on a custom colour but you make a lot of sense and i do want to keep the retro look of the boat and its original colour certainly suits the era.  I have to put in a new floor so new paint is certainly on the cards. Decisions decisions.  The previous owner put in an extra gauge that doesn't look the part.  How do you think i will go finding old Johnson gauges to fill the hole but still keeep the right theme.  Another problem is my VHF and sounder.  They wont look right also so i have to come up with a way to mount them so they are useable but not always visable and without putting anymore holes in the dash.  I also thought about an old 60's radio perhaps out of an old holden or ford as it already has speakers fitted (hidden) Am i changing to much.  My last boat didn't confuse me so much.  I really want something special with this old caribbean.  What do you think.

* 393e_1.jpg (20.1 KB, 400x300 - viewed 1432 times.)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »

Hello Brucie,
If you are going to repaint your floor, may I suggest you use Flowcoat, check with your local fiberglass supplier of Chandler.
Our members Oldenrude or Mark S may be able to help you with info' on where to start looking for old Johnno gauges they just might even have some for sale?
As far as you old 60's radio is concerned, your idea about fitting one (I assume you mean in the dash) doesn't really grab me. I think you are on the right track with your VHF idea, why not hide your radio as well? By doing that you could even upgrade to a relative good CD player and no one will ever know!
To answer your question from the 29/01, your motor was more than likely fitted to that boat from new, given the approx age of the boat and motor.
We are looking forward to more photos.
What area are you in? 

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 03:29:18 PM »

Hi Brucie,
I take it the extra gauge you are talking about is to the left of the dash. It looks like an hour meter. They did look like that in that era. I would need a better photo of the dashboard to be sure. Genuine old Johnson gauges will be hard to find, and you might have to sought one from the States if you are keen. Non genuine period instruments (such as Aqua-meter etc) can be sourced on Ebay and at automotive swap meets.

I wouldn't cut any holes in the dash to mount the sounder or radio. I would make brackets That attach with self tapping screws from behind the dash to mount the radio and depth finder below that dash. You could make a depth finder bracket that swings up behind the dash out of sight for  displays. A period radio could be sourced at swap meets as well.

I just love that old "Ride-guide" steering wheel and those old instruments.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: