logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 08:58:51 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Minimax  (Read 19260 times)
CraigCanberra
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 11:31:59 AM »

Thanks to everyone so far that has provided me with great advice.

OK, my status now:

• I think I'll go for the Minimost instead of the Minimax, because everything I'm hearing is that it is a better design (faster, more stable, safer) but it may have increased costs
  • I won't import due to the cost
  • Still very undecided on the build or have built option (obviously have built will be much more expensive)
  • There are still other costs to consider, such as a trailer and its registration, motor, and presumably boat registration and driver's license (?), driver's training course, life jackets, oars, fire extinguisher, and any other regulatory requirements. Not going to be cheap is it?

One thing though - the Minimost appears to have much more of a rounded hull than the flatter Minimax. The Minimost is still a hydro plane though right? It still lifts out of the water and scoots along the surface right? Just as fast as the Minimax right? Just had a thought: it would be very useful for someone to post a brief advantages and disadvantages list for each of the two. This would be enormously helpful for me and perhaps others trying to decide which way to go. If someone could do this, could you also include estimated construction cost for each?

Thanks so much.

Craig.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 03:32:38 PM »

Hi Craig,
Thanks for the info' I will endeavour to answer your questions as best as possible.

Yes, it is arguable the Minimost is better for your reasons given, and there are increased build costs, both materials and labour.
Perhaps our Board member "Rob" may know of someone prepared to build one for you.
The other costs to consider. Well.. either vessel would fit in a box trailer if     you own one, if not they are very cheap second hand. As far as the other regulation requirements.. Safety Vest $80 for a good one. Boat Rego $60  Licence $100 /3yr. Paddle $10.
Fire extinguisher $25. These prices are a guide only.

Neither hull is a Hydroplane in the true sense of the word. However, both are a Flat Bottom Planing Hull type vessel and they do scoot across the surface of the water. If you intend on using the boat on Burrinjuck or similar, I would suggest the Minimost, as it will potentially cope with the boat chop from other lake users far better than the Minimax (see our stories on The Board) and handle a whole lot better.

The Minimax is not really for the novice, it's a real pig in rough water. It is more suited to a small river or creek (with minimal bends) where no one else goes.

Cost for construction.. Maybe Rob can guide you with that question.

MERCMAN. (former Minimax owner)

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 07:20:03 PM »

Hello Craig
Re that link you posted re the seaflea. I thought I'd mention the extension as it may be hard for some folks to find http://www.muskokaseaflea.ca/HTML/mainhtml.htm
Also I found a costing for materials to build a Minimost. First it's US$ and second there is no date. Anyway it's a start.  They say US$800 (forgot to post the link and I've lost it).
David
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 07:34:18 PM by Chairman » Logged
Rob
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 03:22:37 PM »

Hello Craig,

It's hard to quote an actual cost as material prices vary. Using the Minimost as an example, a sheet of 6mm (1/4) marine play of the required size varies between $62 and $128 at Mr Plywood based on the supplier and type of veneer used for the face laminations.

There's not much 3/8 (9.5mm) marine ply nowdays, it's mostly metric at 9mm and the price for these sheets varies between $98 and $168 for the same reasons as the thinner sheet.

For Fir I'd substitute oregon and I'd try for clear (no knots) or as few as you can get. The short lengths shouldn't be an issue but knot free longer lengths aren't particularly cheap nor carried by builders suppliers generally. If you can't get clear try and get very small knots. They weaken the timber less and don't fall out after a while as do the larger ones.

Screws and nails should be available locally and I'd buy at a bolt place rather than a boat shop if you could as they are generally cheaper.

If you're only out for a fling and not trying to build a long term boat you could substitute exterior ply per the plan but for my money, if you're spending the time the extra money is a worthwhile investment.

The article sets things out fairly simply and providing you have the undercover space to build and basic hand tools you should do fine. if not I'm sure we can find someone to build it for you but this would add substantially to your outlay.

Remember too that things like jackets, licence etc are portable and don't confine you to just the one boat.

On a totally different note, my last name is Cranfield too but nope, he's no relation.

Is this you ?  Grin

Cheers,
Rob
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 03:24:23 PM by Rob » Logged
Rob
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »

Incidentally Craig,

I don't see that your dad's Minimax isn't repairable though the glue may well have dried out over time.

Cheers,
Rob
CraigCanberra
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 01:22:37 AM »

Hi Rob. Thanks very much (and to Chairman & Mercman) for your detailed replies. All good info.

I appreciate all of the notes in your previous.

Is this you ?  Grin

I wish! I really wish!

I don't see that your dad's Minimax isn't repairable...

The left side of our Minimax has unfortunately had it.  The wood on the side and the top is soft and one can push one's finger through many parts of it. The right side isn't much better. The joins have had it. I felt that it would require so much work and would need so much replaced as to be virtually a rebuild and a different boat.  Cry Starting again would also allow me to go for a different boat - the Minimost.  Smiley
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 07:50:43 AM »

Hello Craig,
In order to lower your initial set up outlay, I thought I might remind you the  steering wheel with associated gear and a hand or foot throttle is not absolutely necessary in either of the vessels.
Both vessels are relative short and can be easily controlled with the outboard tiller handle. Although, you will need to move around in the cockpit a tad, to constantly alter the trim as the water conditions change.

Perhaps if you fall in love with your new little craft after your initial sea trials you will be keen to spend a little more hard earned dosh and set up the steering etc?

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
CraigCanberra
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 10:52:28 AM »

I thought I might remind you the  steering wheel with associated gear and a hand or foot throttle is not absolutely necessary in either of the vessels.

Yes - my Dad didn't add the steering wheel and I remember him telling me that it had that option but that he chose not to put it in.

Both vessels are relative short and can be easily controlled with the outboard tiller handle.

Well this was the only experience I had with our Minimax - we operated it from the tiller and didn't seem to have any trouble at all navigating the thing unless, as I said, it had a couple of adults in it in which case we had to have one sit on the bow to get it planing, after which it took off as usual.

I'm quite excited about all this now. In the space of just a few days I've gone from not knowing what this boat was, where on earth I could find someone that could identify it let alone find the plans, to having its name, web references to descriptions, plans, lots of photos, and even some footage of it shooting around a lake! Thanks so much to everyone that's provided information.

Now the big question - when will I actually get started? That's the only question I've posted here that only I can answer!  Wink
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 08:25:54 PM »

Thanks to Craig and the new influx of interest in this subjet, I mentioned to a long standing childhood friend Greg Scarlett about the interest in the Minimax and he produced this photo taken at Chelsea beach Victoria (Port Phillip Bay) about 1960 with a Wizard 9 HP motor. This is the same Minimax that Greg clamped my Dad's 7.5 hp Riptide to when the conrod tore a hole in the block. It's also the one built with the water soluble glue that later had to be fiberglass taped. Thanks for the pic Greg.
David

* Greg_Hydro.JPG (22.54 KB, 600x450 - viewed 409 times.)
Rob
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2007, 10:07:32 PM »

Good Stuff David,

It actually looks longer there than in most of the other pics. I can see two people getting into it from that one.

It's good to see these old Aussie pics seeing the light of day.

Cheers,
Rob
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2007, 09:18:27 AM »

The boat is definately 8 ft. What you're seeing Rob is a very small Greg. He was a flee himself even though he was about 12. There actually was his little cousin in the boat with him originally, but he edited her out of this one.
David
Rob
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »

G'day David,

I was meaning just the appearance in the photos more than the actual length.

It looks like it handled the rougher water well given the considerable lack of freeboard. I can see two adults fitting but gee there mustn't have been much freeboard then.  Shocked

I'm still half keen to build one just for fun and probably have enough hardware here to do it.

I'm curious as to anyones thoughts on long vs short shaft motors on these as I have a 5.5 Seahorse "in stock" but it'd protrude a long way into the water.

Cheers,
Rob
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 06:40:28 PM »

Rob,
To accomodate the long shaft, just build up the mount board to fit. The boat is really meant for 1 person and although it will plane with a 5hp, you'd be better to upgrade to about 10.
As Mercman will explain it isn't meant for any rough water or wake. It can submarine no damage as you really arn't going too fast. The Minimost is probably better but the minimax is cheap and easy to build and you can still have fun in it for not much outlay.
Prune

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 10:56:50 PM »

OK someone said they wanted to see a Minimax with a 15 and a kid?

* minimax.JPG (85.38 KB, 599x260 - viewed 337 times.)
Prune

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 11:08:58 PM »

I'm the guy who knocked about with Mercman in the minmax, boy the stories I could tell! Well after yarning on and on to my kids about how much fun this thing was my eldest boy went and built one! It's in the post above.
Have taken it for a few fangs down the river when he isn't looking and they are if anything MORE fun than I remember. Grin
We cheated in building this one however. We took a look at all the bits to make the frame etc from solid lumber and just cut the whole frames out of a piece of form ply glued and screwed to a couple of sheets of 5mm ply and the whole thing was basically built in a weekend. Realy is a piece of cake this way!

Prune
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: