logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 12:44:56 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Minimax  (Read 17561 times)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2007, 08:58:26 AM »

Every kid's dream, the Minimax plan was published in Popular Mechanics in the early 60s. I know a kid who built one in his lounge room and another who built his with the glue "Aquadere" a water based glue that came unstuck when wet. Here is a surviving Minimax in the Loch Sport Outboard museum Victoria. Here's a Minimax link for those interested. http://www.dngoodchild.com/5820.htm ALso the plans are still available off the internet.
David

* minimax reduce.JPG (33.58 KB, 600x450 - viewed 917 times.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:29:53 PM by Chairman » Logged
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 09:11:33 AM »

I had a Minimax with a 9.9hp Johnrude in my younger days.
By gee, you got very wet, a pig to turn. However, it was still bags of fun as you can imagine.
The one above is a beautifully presented example.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 02:13:38 PM »

Luxury with a 9.9......Have you any pictures of it? The guys put a 12 horse (Johnson) ex army monster on our one. I'd say it was probably a longer shaft than it should have been as it spewed out a monsterous water tail (We were about 13 years old then).  You may also appreciate this story Guy, after we re glued my mates Minimax (after it came apart) and taped the joints, we got my father's 7.5 Riptide, like this one: http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=112.0  off the Mouldcraft in the boatshed and stuck it on the Minimax. My mate insisted on the first (and only) zoom. Being only a slightly built kid, he sped off at full revs with the motor screaming at God knows how many revs and up the beach a bit, he chucked a rod. Dad was none the wiser as it was the last straw when the Riptide wouldn't go the next fine fishing day.. Luckily my dad refused to have it fixed (I don't think he even removed the cowel) and it was scrapped. He NEVER found out the truth poor Dad. It was my first attempt at pulling an outboard to bits though. It sat in bits in a fruit box for years
Bad Boys

David

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:53:52 PM by chairman » Logged
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 03:19:37 PM »

Sorry Dave,
No pics, my mates and I were all too young and stupid to even think of taking photos. Besides, every cent we were able to scrounge, beg borrow or steal went towards burning fuel in our outboards. We didn't have employment at the time, as were all still school boys.
The camera would have been drowned anyway!
I can totally understand you throwing a rod, we were petrified the 9.9 was going to do the same, doing ten zillion rev's. The prop must have been running at 98% efficiency as the Minimax offered little resistance.

MERCMAN.

Rob
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 02:01:24 PM »

That looks down right suicidal... I want one! Says it carries 2 people?? You'd have to be friendly wouldn't you, and planes at 15mph with a 3hp donk... I'd hate to see one with a small boy and a 15 per their specs.

Uh oh, here's more than enough to get you into trouble!

http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=HydroPlanes/minimax

Cheers,
Rob
Rob
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 02:17:15 PM »

I found video of the Minimax, Minimost (and others) online at the Muskoka Sea Flea website.

http://www.muskokaseaflea.ca/HTML/mainhtml.htm

Use the quicktime link on the left to see the movie list.

Cheers,
Rob
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 01:42:24 PM »

Thanks Rob, Certainly brings back memories to me
David
CraigCanberra
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 01:10:39 PM »

Hi. Have just found your board. Neat.

My Dad built us kids a hydroplane boat in the 1970s. At that time I was in the early years of high school. I recall my father going to night woodworking classes once a week, at which he built a small rounded bow boat. I clearly remember its maiden voyage, with Dad insisting that only he be in it while it was tested, in case it had problems. My brother and I stood wide-eyed on the shore and watched as he put it through some trials. We were finally allowed on it shortly afterwards. We had a 5HP Evinrude and it used to whizz along, once you got it hydroplaning. This would take a few seconds - even at full throttle - if there were a couple of big blokes in it. We'd have to move forward and lean on the bow. Once it got going though, whoosh!  Smiley

After many years of fun with this boat, and after my brother and I had grown up and left home, it was sadly left on its side on the ground beside our house. Long after my Dadís death, I remembered this boat and tried to rescue it, but sadly the side that was on the ground had rotted. I examined the boat carefully but concluded that it was beyond repair.

I decided that I wanted to find out what this boat was to see if I could build or buy one for my boys, in memory of my Dad. I started this search just a few days ago and believe I have identified it as a Minimax, but I'm not sure as the designs appear to be slightly different to our boat. Does the Minimax have 4 watertight compartments like ours did? Based on the holes that I can see on the inside of the boat pictured at the bottom of this web page: http://www.hydrostream.org/GuestArchive/Seaflea.htm, it would appear that it doesn't have watertight compartments, at least on the two sides.

Can you please have a look at the attached photos and see if you can identify our boat for me? I would be extremely grateful. Other things I can tell you about the design:

• 4 watertight compartments (2 in the bow, 1 on each side of the boat)
  • Steering wheel option which my father did not build
  • The joins were some sort of fibreglass, where a hessian-looking strip was laid over the join and painted over with some foul-smelling goo

I have more photos if the ones attached are insufficient. Note that in the attached photos the motor board has come off.

Thanks!

Craig.
Canberra Australia.

* DSC03652.JPG (29.93 KB, 448x336 - viewed 470 times.)

* DSC03656.JPG (31.72 KB, 448x336 - viewed 604 times.)

* DSC03665.JPG (30.09 KB, 336x448 - viewed 487 times.)

* DSC03667.JPG (22.38 KB, 336x448 - viewed 603 times.)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 01:25:45 PM »

Hello Craig and welcome to our wacky world.
This is most definately a Minimax. The one pictured in the link you supplied is not like any I've seen. The holes in the sides may be a later addition. Yes our Minimax had airtight compartments. The plans for it are available on the net. Back in the early 60s, Popular Mechanics had published these plans. It's no big deal to build, it'd be a lot of fun to do it with your family.
Keep us posted as many of us hadone or knew someone who built one.
The problem with them was if you took on a wave at the bow it often turned the craft into a sub.
David

CraigCanberra
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »

Hi David. Thanks for the prompt reply!

I'm glad you've positively identified it as the Minimax - thanks.

Some of the material I've found on the web in the last couple of days indicates that the Minimost was (is) a better boat, as it's a later design, improved on the Minimax, more stable, and perhaps even faster. If this is the case (comments?), I have a dilemma. Build to my Dad's original design, or build the better boat? I'm inclined to go with the better design, if that's indeed what the Minimost is.

Now the next issue. Don't hate me for this, but I don't know that I'd have the time, patience or skill to build one (especially the patience). I'm exploring the cheats option and seeing if I can buy one. I've found www.muskokaseaflea.ca who will build a Minimax to order in Canada. The dramas (and costs) involved getting a completed one to Australia are not even worth contemplating! I have also found a Brian Cranfield, also in Canada I believe, who as far as I can work out sells completed frames, which obviously need a lot more work before they are complete. I haven't been able to determine if he makes complete Minimosts (but have asked him in an e-mail - awaiting reply).

Does anyone know of anyone that makes Minimax/Minimosts to order or, even better, have some ready to go off the shelf? I'll soon have a look on eBay and in the For Sale topic I saw in this board to see if there are any second hand ones out there. Do you have a feel for whether these come up for sale from time to time?

Thanks again! This board has already been a great help.

Craig.
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »

Graig
Don't look at importing, it's already expensive. There are too many options here. I'm sure it would be a fantastic project for someone to do for the love of it, (Cost of materials) There is a place in Adelaide that has a boat woodworking school, http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/  I bet they would do it as a project. There are boat wood working places in Melbourne also.
There are members of this board here who love working with wooden boats, Some people brag about building one in a weekend. There could be minimal labour even if you had to pay for it.
Let's see what other members have to say about it.
David
Rob
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 05:13:06 PM »

Build it yourself Craig, (and welcome aboard).

The plans are online and based on a build log I read (also online), you can build one in as little as 8 hours. The materials required to build the hull are minimal.

Beware Duck Flats, they put forward epoxy is the answer to wooden boating and many disagree. My thoughts are that epoxy is fine in some areas but certainly not all.

Epoxy is a pretty stable substance whereas wood is not. I've seen pictures of boats "restored" in the US using epoxy. When the timbers swelled the epoxy joints tore out of the timbers. Wood immersed in water invariably absorbs some and swells, then shrinks back as it dries.

From memory the plan for the Minimax gives options for both closed compartmentts and open.

That's my 2 bobs worth,
Rob
CraigCanberra
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 05:38:07 PM »

Thanks Rob! Smiley
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 07:21:44 PM »

Hello Craig,
Good to see some new blood joining in on The Board.
I'm sure you will find it a wonderful source of information.

In case you didn't see this, here is a link to recent discussion on The Board about the Minimax.

http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=279.0

Or have I covered broken ground? Huh

MERCMAN.

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 09:25:04 AM »

More answers to your questions Craig,

I've never seen a Minimax advertised here in Australia, not that they wouldn't be out there,
If you are patient, I'm sure someone will find one if you do not feel that you can or are in a position to build it yourself. I've never seen a Minimost, maybe they were a bit harder and more expensive to build. Costs skyrocket (larger motor etc). That's probably why the Minimax is/was so popular. Just some points to consider. Here are some plans I found
http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=HydroPlanes/minimax
http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=HydroPlanes/minimost
David
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 09:53:02 AM by Chairman » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: