logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2018, 09:23:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Caribbean Galaxy Hull Repair  (Read 958 times)
scottn

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2017, 10:57:49 AM »

Hi,

I'm new to the board and seeking some advice with a hull repair to a Galaxy (circa 1970s) I picked up last summer and have used on the water a dozen times.

I belatedly discovered that it had some water in the hull which has found its way out through the bottom. Not 100% sure how the water got there - the lower drainage bolt was not very tight so might have been the culprit or perhaps there was already a hidden repair in the bottom. The water was there over winter.

Attached is a photo showing the bottom. The fibreglass has come away from the timber where it was resting on the rollers. I've also scrapped some of it back so it wasn't as obvious as this originally. The timber is wet but not rotten. It's filled half a bucket but has now slowed right down.

Should I cut through the floor to have a better look and accelerate the drying out?

The location of the problem area is a little astern of the seats (1-1.3m forward from the transom) and tapping on the floor it sounds reinforced in that area so I'm reluctant to open it up there.

Does anyone have a plan of the galaxy hull or an idea of what's below the floor?

Any other advice would be welcome.

I'm hoping that if (when) its dry and the timber is ok that I can patch up the bottom and get back out there.

The rest of the hull seems sound and in good condition for its age.

Thanks
Scott

* galaxy1.jpg (140.93 KB, 576x1024 - viewed 126 times.)
darrcoll
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 08:21:32 AM »

Doesn't look good. Looks like rollers have been the culprit.    Two options.  Quick repair on outside grind out reglass fill and fair and re gelcoat.  Or.  Extensive repair from inside.  Second option is the only way to be sure.  Good luck

Darrcoll    Don't tell me about BOATS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: