logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 05:23:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: queries re steering cables for 1970 Evinrude Starflite 115hp  (Read 503 times)
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2017, 06:52:34 PM »

My steering cable outer plastic cover has split, and the surrounding wire has rusted over a length of about 8", so it's probably time to replace it. Whilst the integrity of the underlying cable may be OK, I can only think of really bad outcomes if it failed.

Q's
Are steering cables specific to the engine brand, or were they more generic?
If specific to Evinrude, did the connection to the motor vary as it evolved, or might I find a more recent cable that fits?
Where do I try to source one ? Local dealer? Or do I have to search elsewhere?

Andrew A

Where are all the Hartley boats?
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:35:45 AM »

Hello Andrew,
It's a very wise idea to install a new steering cable. They come in different lengths of course, but otherwise they are pretty much generic.
This procedure is a rather simple change over. (two beers and it's done) Easier than a hip replacement! (well, not quite as much grease on everything as with the cable change over)
Make sure you have a few rags on hand, before you commence the surgery.

Simply unbolt/unscrew all the obvious bits on the steering assembly then drag out your original cable, lay it out straight, take a measurement of it's overall length and toddle down to your local Whitworth's store or ship chandlery. Better still, take your original cable with you in your "howdy" Watch out for all the greasy bits!

Better still, watch this video. Although, you may not have to remove the steering wheel and helm assembly unless it's on the way out as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ8UruO-_a0

I'm personally a big fan of hydraulic steering. A dream with high HP motors and multi rigs. The down side..it's more expensive and not really a project DIY for the layman to install.

MERCMAN. 

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »

Hi Lads
Nice bit of medical analogy Guy .
The Dangar Marine man I find fascinating and I recommended him to members some time ago . He also drinks Coopers like me -no he drinks less .
The system he is replacing on the video is not the pull push worm I had on SX 2 .
Don't know what your system is A but could be the same old plastic coated cable as mine was .
If so I suggest a Multiflex unit which is now on my boat . Mercman has driven  it !
 Dearer than just cable replace but worthwhile .
Hydraulic preferred but no value .

Neil

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:02:39 PM »

Neil. Which "Cooper's" are you addicted to? I'm all for their stout.

However, a few of them do minimise evening productivity!

I'll post some photos, in due course. Busy ATM - my mother just died ( albeit at 92 3/4), executing will, work, backcountry skiing, start of fly fishing season etc.

Looking fwd to having more time on  water with the Hartley next year. With inheritance, could probs buy a new boat, but keen to keep my current one . It's got style, and no pretence. That's what our family is all about.

A

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »

Hi Andrew,
We are all sorry to learn of the loss of your Mum. Our sincere condolences to you and your family. It's a real trying time, that's for sure.

On another note, simply re-power your beloved Hartley with 2 x brand new 75hp BRP (Evinrude) outboards. Provided your transom is good and strong, of course. Combined, these two gems will probably use a lot less juice that your old V4.
Make sure you have them fitted with hydraulic steering whilst they are being installed.

http://www.evinrude.com.au/Engines/75HP.aspx

MERCMAN.

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »

Condolences on the loss of your mother A . I will always remember the lovely 'Board ' response to the loss of my dad.

As to Coopers ,on tap at the club and mid tinnies at home . Productivity ! What's that ? Grin

Subject steering -post pics as you said.

As Guy says you can save money on fuel with the new 'Rudes' but as you are not pretentious he and I will fork out about $15000 each and buy the twins  Cheesy Roll Eyes

Careful skiing and watch your flies !

Neil

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »

Thanks guys for your condolences.

She was a true "Scot" - independent, frugal, self reliant, not wasteful. I've been bought up the same.

The Hartley will get a new steering cable, but not new twins, or replacement motor/ boat.

I think that all of us on this forum appreciate things for what they are. We are like my Mum - frugal, independent, self reliant, not wasteful.

Let's keep it this way.

A

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »

Just on my way to visit my mum aged 95 .
A daughter of Scots . Ditto the comments.

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 08:56:55 PM »

Is this  the sort of thing I'm looking for?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multiflex-Boat-Outboard-Steering-Kit-18FT-5-49m-Cable-Suit-Teleflex-Ultraflex-/182006333091?hash=item2a606c3ea3:g:DL8AAOSwBt5ZN3ER

Or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15FT-Planetary-Gear-Outboard-Marine-Steering-Helm-With-Boat-Steering-Cable-Wheel-/282611658150?hash=item41ccf7ada6:g:D04AAOSwWxNYxhg7

I'm not fussed whether I have to replace the steering wheel, but just wondering whether I'm looking in the right  direction - I'll obviously pull it off boat and check more carefully before buying one.

Next item will be throttle cable - were they specific to 1970 starflites, or more generic?

Looking at another long term beach rental, so boat will get a lot more use. Might need a new coat of house paint, Neil!!

A

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 08:36:27 AM »

AA,
Whitworths appear to have the same item. At least with Whitworths, you can take your entire assembly to them and they will determine if you actually need to purchase a full kit, or just a new cable itself. https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=82356&search123=steering+&intAbsolutePage=1

Pretty much all steering wheels will fit the morse taper & key way on.

As for your throttle cable.. as with Merc and OMC, Throttle and Shift Cables are the same, but not between brands, nor electric shift, of course!
I have a reasonable selection of Merc and OMC Control Cables in stock. Let me know the length you are chasing and I'll check at this end for you.

I'd be using a water based paint. After all, you boat will be in the water. OMG.

MERCMAN.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »

Thanks, never seen one in Whitworth's, but I suppose I haven't been looking for one - just need to pull the old one out. Next weekend.....

Will also check throttle cable and let you know.

Water based paint only dissolves if it's not dry!! Houses are painted with it! Probably about time I gave the old girl a spruce up though, esp seeing how immaculate Neil's SX2 is.

A

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »

No expert on steering  A but the systems you referred to are the same . Depends on choice .

I installed the Multiflex in place of the 55 year old pulley system and what a difference. It doesn't come with a steering wheel (thank goodness).
You should be able to use the same wheel .
The important thing is cable length (see instructions)  as it comes in fixed lengths .

Still don't know what you current system is so as Mercman says you may only need new cable .

Send pics we love photos  Wink Smiley

As to House Paint . Gee you take me back a few years  Grin

Neil

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 11:05:14 PM »

Pulled out steering cable today, and realised that the reason the steering was so difficult was not only that the cable had worn half way through (thinking really awful outcome if cable broke whilst cruising  at whatever knots a Hartley and a 115hp motor do), but that the helm was full of really old hard sticky grease.

Decided to just replace the whole lot, including steering wheel.

Hopefully we have just found another long term beach house rental at Sorrento ( Port Phillip Bay), so boat will get a lot more use.

The winter has been good to me for backcountry skiing, and this will probably take precedence over the next month or so. I've had some good trips up into the mountains,,and going again this weekend

https://youtu.be/g3cG5hERjA4

https://youtu.be/GyloRsPE554

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: