logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2017, 05:20:55 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adjusting needle valves on 1970 Evinrude Starflite 115  (Read 507 times)
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2017, 01:40:54 PM »

Managed to reattach carbies today and adjust the throttle and choke valves so they seem to close and open properly , but now need to adjust needle valves on each carburettor. Do I just close them all off gently, and then back off a turn and a bit, or do they need to be adjusted indivually, and, if the latter,  how do I then know when each is right. Also, do they need to be adjusted with the engine in neutral and also in gear. Starting her up today just with the muffs on  there was a lot is smoke, but that often seems to be case out of the water.

Any suggestions that will assist "dumb or dumber" getting it almost right would be appreciated.

A

Where are all the Hartley boats?
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »

Always note the settings before removing the jets.
The initial setting is 7/8 of a turn. Run in neutral, if engine sneezes a lot open to 1 turn, keep both carburetor adjustments the same.

If you want to proceed further, with engine warmed up turn both needles together in slowly until engine starts to sneeze or want to snuff out, that is too lean, then open both 1/16 at a time keeping both carburetor adjustments the same, until engine starts to load, then you should be able to find it's sweet running spot, don't set too lean.

If you need help ring my mobile 0418 562618.

Mark S.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 08:57:37 PM »

Thx Mark,

Unfortunately jets were removed by daughter #2s BF, who repaired one of the carbies, so I'm not sure what the settings were.

Haven't experienced "sneezing" of it yet! So, I'm better just to adjust them all the same - close pin valve, then back off 7/8 turn, as stated, rather than doing as I did yesterday , running the engine on one cylinder only ( by unplugging leads) and trying to adjust the appropriate needle valve for that cylinder to idle appropriately?

Anyway, I'm pretty excited that it started up , having had the carbs off for 4 months!

Now boating needing some paint. It's never going to scrub up as well as Neil's, so I think I'll use house paint.....  Wink

A

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »

You can't go past house paint A  Wink

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »

I know!

Was going to use the left overs from that which daughter #3 is using to paint her room - pale pink! It would go well with the olive green on the engine.

A

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »

Yummy!
A pink interior water based paint . That's even better .

Hard a' starboard
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 05:20:26 PM »

Jokes aside , if you are painting inside the cabin of a wooden boat , regardless of what type of paint , it is highly recommended to add an anti-mould .

Neil

Hard a' starboard
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »

I certainly concur Neil,
I've had a 121 square meter deck built on to the rear of our house recently and we've added anti-mould to all of the paint used thus far.
It's a great invention.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 08:33:07 PM »

Guys, we have a 5 bedroom 1890's weatherboard house which pretty well all needs repainting. Boat comes last.

A

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 06:54:05 PM »

I agree A
A 120 year old house (home) sounds wonderful  Smiley

But when you do do the boat cabin add an anti-mould .
Doubtless you could something from the surgery to suit  Grin

Neil

Hard a' starboard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: