logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 08:10:24 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Evinrude 50hp  (Read 620 times)
larysumi
Board God

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2017, 01:28:17 PM »

Hi All,

Its been a long time since my last post. I have finally got around to doing some work on my Caribbean seasprite.

I am looking for a 1970ish 50/55hp evinrude or johnson or similar. Needs to be short shaft with trim and tilt and forward controls.

Does anyone have anything they are willing to sell or know where i can pick one up. I have found a few but they are mostly long shaft. Would i be able to convert these to short shaft.

New seats have been made and upholstered as well as a new trailer. Just starting to sand back the hull to it's original firebird red and will repaint it.

Thanks

Michael.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »

Hi Michael,
Yes, Short Shaft, 2 banger, 50hp or 55hp OMC are like hens teeth. When the 50hp first came out, you could purchase it in 15' but it had the huge gear case and a huge prop to match.  However, the next model 50hp was given the smaller (nitro) gear case but only available in 20" ...as was the 55hp when it hit the market released.

You can easily graft a 3 banger 15" 55hp or 75hp mid to a two banger, but these too are hard to find 'cause the outboard racing fraternity scrounge around for them.

Frankly, the 2 banger OMC in 50 or 55hp is a very noisy motor and it vibrates like you would not believe. Take one for a run, and see for yourself before you buy.  A 4 cylinder Merc 50hp purrs like a Honda CB750 or a Kawasaki Z1, plus they are easier to buy or graft to 15" if needed.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
larysumi
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:37:06 PM »

Hi Mercman,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct, they are hard to find.

If you know of any 50hp Mercs available, I would certainly consider one.

My other option is a new 50 tohatsu short shaft, but they are getting a bit expensive.

Cheers

Michael.
steves jem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 07:28:55 PM »

Not exactly correct Guy. The 3 cylinder and 2 cylinder 15 in short shaft OMC trunks have a different powerhead stud pattern, differ in length by about 10 mil and have a different exhaust housing. You can convert a Long Shaft 2 cylinder 55/60HP OMC to short shaft as all that is required is the short shaft mid section and gearbox. You can purchase these from the wreckers and are occasionally available on E-Bay or Gum tree.

Stephen 
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »

Hi Steve,
Ho are you going? Huddo is getting close to launching his new race boat (if not done over the recent long weekend). Thanks for the correction on the OMC graft business. I had the impression the 2 cyl and 3 cyl mids were interchangeable. Who told me that I wonder?

May be I should stick to the Black stuff?

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: