logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2017, 05:28:01 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Issues" with the 1970 Starflite 115hp  (Read 956 times)
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2016, 06:18:43 PM »

OK. Problem solving time.

When out in the boat a month ago, she ran really well for the first hour or so. When we then went to move, motor started fine, but, when put in gear, she spluttered for a bit, and conked out. Started up again OK, spluttered and conked out under load. Eventually did a bit of revving in neutral, and although this didn't immediately fix problem, after a few attempts, motor worked fine under load, and ran perfectly...until the next time we started up, at which stage the same problem happened.

New fuel, new fuel line. Motor starts easily and runs smoothly without load....

Please chuck some suggestions my way. Just to be first out there, and not seem entirely dumb, I'm wondering whether the carburettor jets/ pins whatever they are called , along with issues with floats, are getting stuck, and limiting supply to the carbies, and whether the first port of call would be to remove the carburettors and clean all this?

I haven't asked daughter #2's new marine mechanic/lifesaver/paramedic boyfriend about it, as he's only new to family, and more focussed on her, and I don't want to scare him off! I'm looking at him as a reserve for putting it all back together if I pull it apart, and can't get things back where they belong, or end up with some "extra" screws somewhere (no pun intended).

A

Where are all the Hartley boats?
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 03:07:46 PM »

I'll bet you have gunk in one or all of the carbies which is giving you the grief (gunk is a real technical term you know!). If gunk present, or partial blockage even a float issue.. motor will appear to run OK, except under load. It's running "lean"... it will rev, but not produce hp.

Don't worry about the boyfriend... put him to work straight away, I say. That way you can work side by side and evaluate him yourself. Trust me, I have two daughters (both married now) and that's how I weeded all the DH's out! However, this guy has probably never seen a carbie. He wasn't even born way back then.

I suggest you pay our member Mark, he'll clean them out for you and have the old girl runnin' real nice in no time.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 05:57:52 PM »

Surprisingly the BF does actually seem to have worked on these old motors - he recently worked on a 1966 Evinrude, and he understands the issue with impeller replacement on my motor (undoing some wires to the gearbox).

I realise that Mark plays with these things all the time, and would be happy to ask him to do it, but it means dragging the boat somewhere, which is complicated. If I can get it fixed at home, it is so much easier (if Mark did home visit servicing, I'd be on to it!).

Anyway, it's a fun project..... Huh

A

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 06:59:39 PM »

Removed carburetors today. Everything seems pretty clean, and the pin/float valve operation seems to run smoothly. I'll send them off with BF #2  to his work to ensure they work , and then try to put it all back together! From my point of view, the linkages to choke etc are the most complex. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, it's been fun pulling things to bits!

A

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »

AA, I'm impressed with BF already.
I suggest you connect the fuel supply line back on to the Carbie whilst it's still separate from the crankcase cover. Make sure Carbie is roughly in the same plane as when it's bolted in place. Remove the float chamber drain screw, then prime with fuel with the primer bulb. Juice should run freely from drain hole. Do this with each Carbie. Replace Drain screws.

If you want, I'll send you a PM with my number in case you don't quite follow me.

A funny old saying of mine...The best part about pulling things to bits, if you do it often enough, one day you'll have enough bits left over to build another one!   Grin

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »

Thx. Will do that.

Waiting for some new gaskets, and then I can bolt it all together again, and find that the problem is something else!!

A

Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 09:04:30 AM »

Hi Andrew,

Did you try new spark plugs, as you were having oiling up issues in the past.

Mark.
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 03:23:58 PM »

Yes, Mark, I have put new plugs in (and the previous ones were a year old), but I haven't taken the boat out with them to see whether they improved things, and I gather that it's not obvious whether the engine is running on 2 , 3 or 4 cylinders when it's running on muffs.

Having successfully removed and cleaned the caruretor on my motor mower (!), I thought I should "man up" and start to fiddle with the outboard, and get over it petrifying me, so, by the time it's back in the water, it'll have sparkly clean carburetors with intact gaskets (one of the gaskets was defective when I removed it (although it was the one on the air intake side of the carburetor), and new plugs. The fuel line from tank to motor is new, the fuel filter looks clean, and the fuel lines from fuel filter to carburetorsl look clean and in good nick, so, at the end of it, there should be no excuse for lack of fuel getting to where it's meant to be going.

Not sure when it's going to get a run on water again - hopefully January.

A

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 06:55:55 PM »

January !
My plan always was to have SX 2 in the water in November .

The years just went by  Smiley Cool
12 .

Neil

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 07:23:47 PM »

Smarty trousers......

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print