logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 03:35:01 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Twins: Matching Pair of 1961 Merc FGS 700s  (Read 1545 times)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2016, 10:00:49 PM »

Ok gang,

I have been thinking long and hard here, but the twins are going to go.  My focus is just too spread and I don't think I'm ever going to get to do them the justice they deserve.

I'm going to try putting them up up for "swap" for decent later model inline-6 Merc.

What I'm after... I'd love a late 60s to 70/71 Merc 100, 125 or 135, but would also go any age 115, 140 or 150.  It needs to be in very good condition, even comp and not bashed around. I'd be even happier if it had some history with it (re service history).  Happy to talk shipping, cash balance, etc for the right motor.

As for the twins... pretty much everything about them is on the table here: http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=1507.0

Both crank really nicely, but neither start (no spark).  One has a busted centre bush on the distributor, which you can get off Ebay for $9 plus postage: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390971421633?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm not sure about why the other has no spark.

They'll come with all the info about the motors and boat, that I have collected in a Word Doc and a CD of the original 1963 ABC documentary of them powering Akroonah down the Murray.

Any Q's, ask away or message me.

AJ

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »

G'day Aaron
I'm having a beer so have become nostalgic Wink
I started my career in 1961 , favourite music  ,finned v8's and I have SX2 built in !961.
I am hoping to sea trial SX2 on Friday . Please note AA  Grin
My twin Johnsons are running nicely in the tank but yet to be run under power .
To me they would be a wonderful acquisition to complete a package but two things come to mind .
Short/Long shaft and cost/value ?
If you want to discuss further you can pm me .

Thanks (hic)

Neil

Hard a' starboard
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 03:28:18 PM »

Hi Neil,

They are shorties (15").

Cost/value... that's the tricky part and why I am seeing if I can find a swap first.  It takes some pressure of the $ value question.

Cheers,
AJ

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 06:37:57 PM »

Thanks Aaron
The shorties resolve my dream as unsuited  Sad

I also perceive I have saved a lot of money .

Due to their history you/we may not want them to go offshore but is it worth a crack at the American market ?
It's fickle with vet cars .

Regardless ,  as you have made the decision to sell  hope you max your deal .

Best wishes

Neil

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »

Looking fwd to piccies of SX2, Neil - hope weather is good. Going to be windy, rainy and lousy down here this weekend, which puts a bit of a dampener on a fly fish Sad

Where are all the Hartley boats?
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 12:35:34 PM »

Unfortunately A I have to delay the  sea trials due difficulty re-attaching both motors after final paint .

Anyway 90% chance of rain and  a low midday tide .

Won't be long  Wink

Neil

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 10:33:31 PM »

Excuses, excuses....

Where are all the Hartley boats?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: