logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 11:09:58 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Merc 1000SS Stalling In Gear  (Read 7120 times)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 09:53:04 AM »

AA,
For a full set of NKG plugs for my EFI V6 will set you back about $60 inc postage.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=bpz8hs-10&_sacat=0

To purchase the same quantity and product within our Continent, you should expect to pay double.

This now permits me to buy $60 worth of beer to enjoy, whilst I'm installing my new NKG plugs which came all the way from the UK. Ya gotta love that!

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 10:07:08 AM »

I'll get back to you ASAP Guy.  Should have time to work through your list (I've printed it) later today.

AJ

oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »

Hey Aaron you are right, it is all part of the fun.
An experienced outboard mechanic could probabaly have diagnosed the fault in my motor in 5 minutes flat but that would have cost me money and I wouldn't have gained any experience.
What I have learned rooting about with old 2 strokes is that compression, spark & crankcase sealing are absolutely critical to a good idle. particularly in gear in the water. If any of these three are not up to spec you will have trouble.
Wishing you luck with your motor.

Michael.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 01:16:12 PM »

AJ.
Owing to corrosion, the Spark Plug orifice can get rather gnarly on older motors. Be sure to inspect each orifice surface where the plug washer seals, particularly on pot 5.

Remember, your motor was put to hard work when man first set foot on the moon and this was the music of the era.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdOxw8Ic_QM

Believe it or not, Russell is still performing. He and I have met on a number of occasions, I've been "back stage" with Russell and I've even had a beer with him.

MERCMAN.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:22:49 PM by MERCMAN » Logged

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 11:33:28 AM »

So I decided to check the plugs first, as that's the easiest job.

I think she's caput!

Now if you remember, I have only ever run her on muffs, but this week she ran in water for about 30min total, by the time I gave up.

I think, having her now run in water, has shown the issue (or the key issue at least).

Looks like I have water in pots 4, 5... and 6... by the creamy oily mixture (which if you recall I had lots off when playing with the gearbox a while back but never connected to maybe being the motor!).

pots in photo =
1 - 2
3 - 4
5 - 6

I'm open to ideas, but I think I'm back to plan B, which was to find a decent last generation inline-6 and paint/decal to look at least part-original.

AJ

PS.. anyone after some 1000SS parts  Roll Eyes

* BAEK5346.jpg (663.31 KB, 2048x2048 - viewed 238 times.)

Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »

Hi Aaron,

You have water on number 4 & 5. Won't be running on those 2 cylinders. Probably leaking through the exhaust plate area and water entering cylinders via exhaust ports. Need to remove powerhead and removed exhaust plates to inspect if you want to proceed with fixing it.

Send me a PM if you need help 

Mark S.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 01:59:19 PM »

As usual, I certainly concur with Marks comments.

When I was about 15 or 16 years years old, I changed the exhaust plates on my Dads 1965 short shaft 1000. At the time, I'd never seen that task done before. Because of my ignorance, I persevered and replaced the inner and outer plates without removing the powerhead. I had smaller hands in those days.
I remember snapping quite a few bolts as well. I didn't know about heat then either, but I did learn about "easy outs"

I couldn't believe how much of a bugger of a job it was until later years,  when someone showed me how to remove the powerhead from a big Merc. It was then I discovered how easy it was to change the exhaust plates using that method. Trust me to learn the hard way first.

Like Mark, I've changed stacks of them over the years. (no pun intended)

MERCMAN.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »

Hey Mark and Guy,

Thanks for the info and especially the offer of help Mark.

Are replacements available? I assume it'd mean finding recent used plates?

The thing is, after redoing all the wiring and fuel lines, finding a newer gearbox, the forward control issues (now fixed), full new water pump, tweaking, tuning (re Ken Firth, though wonder why he never spotted the issue!!!???), etc... I'm running low on confidence that if I go to all the cost and trouble of fixing this current issue, she'll just throw up another.

My plan B (find a newer 115hp inline-6 in decent condition) is looking more and more viable as this motor looks less and less!  There are plenty around.

I could save further expense, part out this one, keep all the new bits as spares, find a decent late generation inline-6 115 and probably not bee much worse of cost-wise.  though... the plan being with way more reliability and serviceably.

After all, as fun as this all is, I want to get her on the water and having some fun a some point....

AJ

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 03:52:42 PM »

Yep,
I agree. With a good set of decals, you can make a 115hp Merc look pretty like any year model, from 1965 onward.

MERCMAN.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 04:02:13 PM »

Yes, that's the plan then I think.

What was the last year of the 115?  Circa 1987/88?

Anyone know the whereabouts for a good one for sale?  Grin

I found this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291845633553?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT...
... but the asking price is a bit rich in my opinion.  Seems like low hours for her to have needed a piston replacement.

AJ

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: