logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2018, 09:10:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HURRICANE Outboard S 911  (Read 4349 times)
Morrison

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2016, 02:36:18 PM »

Hi guys and girls? I have just received an old Hurricane from a mate who has had it for tooooo many years. He used to use it on the Darling River, and it got a coat of Orange paint in the 70s. Been in the shed since late 70s.
On my first look at it the motor is not ceased but Prop shaft is, also the steering I hope that neither are serious, steering looks easy. so I will try to get it running before a strip down, need to free prop shaft and fix recoil starter rope.
My questions are what was the original colour and what was painted and were there any decals etc on the motor there looks if one was on the lower leg under the paint.
Also to find the model I may have to remove the barrel to measure the bore it has a cast iron mono block and it could be a 125cc the OD of the cylinder is 2.300in. There is a S 119 on one mounting leg. Everything is original on it.
 I am not sure how the tank was held on, the front has a lug on it but nothing at the rear just a hole in the lower frame. Did they have a clamping waist band???
Time to clean up some other projects and make a start on this.
This will be for sale someday but how rare are these and what is it worth??? In both as is and fully restored (not to USA chrome everything) but close to orignal condition.
Thanks guys.   Ken M

* Hurricane OB 006.jpg (868.7 KB, 2832x2128 - viewed 269 times.)
Morrison

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 02:58:38 PM »

The rest of the pics.

* Hurricane OB 011.jpg (41.29 KB, 336x447 - viewed 328 times.)

* Hurricane OB 014.jpg (43.04 KB, 447x336 - viewed 301 times.)

* Hurricane OB 015.jpg (36.7 KB, 447x336 - viewed 302 times.)
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:33:10 PM »

G'day Ken,

What you have there is a Waterboy made by Atom Industries in Victoria. hard to tell from the photos but I'm assume the engine has a one piece cast iron barrel (cylinder) and head. If so, it will be a Hurricane 125, 125cc with a 2 1/8" bore and 2 1/8" stroke. The engine should be fitted with a WICO magneto and an Amal carburettor. Hurricane 125.

If the engine has a detachable aluminium head, it will be a 125A. Other specs remain the same.

I would not be surprised if the gearbox has been full or water or crud causing it to sieze. That said, they are generally salvageable, with a bit of heat, time and effort.

As for colors, they varied from year to year, however the lower was generally (not always) silver hamertone or off white, and the cowl two tone with an off white lower and a blue or lightish green upper.

If you google search Atom Waterboy or waterboy outboard, I'm sure you'll get one two hits. Don't be surprise to find an American Firestone (or other brand) that looks similar. Lot's of our locally made outboards from back in the day were either a copy or something, used imported parts or parts made under licence.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Spiro
Morrison

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »

Thanks Spiro

Yes it is a Mono block (Head and Block in one piece) Cast Iron 125 cc as you described. I managed to get the gearbox apart and it was full of dust and crud the shafts and bearing bushes are OK but the gears should be replaced badly rusted but all there, Any available?? The Pinion has a square drive hole and the crown wheel is pined to the shaft. The steering has been freed up and I can now turn the motor over, but now there is no spark so into the Points etc all looks clean thru the inspection hole so next is off with the flywheel hope it is only dirty points. Another thing is that the recoil starter is NOT original and the mate can not find the original one so that will go on to the Hard to find list. So first the spark then the Amal Carb.
Do you have any information on how the Top Tank is retained onto the lower base. On the tank fuel fitting there is a bit of a boss left there did a screw go thru the lower cover (there is a hole in it) and into this boss?? I have not had time to put it together and rotate he fuel fitting around to check this out.
My Old Outboard Book does not show photos of the Firestone but parts of the leg are similar to the Eska with the lower leg part closer to the 3.5 HP Chrysler.

Regards,
Ken 
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 02:28:13 PM »

I've got Waterboys in my collection. First is an air-cooled 125 similar to yours and the other is Water-cooled 200 which is super rare. To complete the collection I need one with a Trojan motor also, which has the smallest hp of the lot.

The recoil starter on yours appears to be off a Victa (not sure) whereas it should be a low profile unit similar to that which you would have seen on the Eska. By the way, Eska, Firestone etc etc all the same, just rebadged for, and marketed by many companies.

The magnetos hold up pretty well. Give the points a good clean and you should get spark. Magnets might be a little light on. If that's the case, do a search on youtube for recharging flywheel magnets and you'll be able to bring them up to new as condition again.

You sound like you know what you're doing, so I'm sure you'll be able to work out quickly enough if the coil is OK. If not ebay and mower repair shops and outlets are your best bet for finding a replacement.

Not sure about availability of the gears. I would think they would still be available because they were not exclusive to outboards, although many outboards of that era shared common components.

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to even look at mine since I purchased them, so I can't really offer too much more than I already have.

Other forums where you might be able to get some more help include Vintage Mowers, Outdoorking Repair Forum and Saving Old Seagulls.

Don't overlook the mower sites ie as a large portion of Australian made outboards used engines from Victa, Hurricane, Kirby, Scott Bonnar, Boundy, Croydon, Villiers etc. Because of that spares for many are not all that difficult to find.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: