logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2018, 03:59:02 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My New Dinghy  (Read 3817 times)
AusOB_Collector

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2016, 09:55:21 PM »

Hi all

Recently, my 2.7m Quicksilver inflatable that I use for testing my old outboards got a puncture or two. Instead of myself mucking around with a repair kit for the Quicksilver I decided to take a punt and see if I could get an ally dinghy off Gumtree.

Anyway, this 10ft tinny popped up on my radar (I believe it is a Savage Mk 1 Gull from some research, I'd like to get clarification on that if possible), the price was right so I went and got it. At first glance, there are no dings or dents on the hull, but the middle seat has been removed and the back seat had fallen out (It has since been riveted back in). There are some fibreglass patches on the inside of the boat at semi-regular intervals where someone has patched up holes; the holes went right around the boat, I think that they may have been for securing a rubber tube/ rope around the dinghy so when it was used as a tender no damage could be done to the mother vessel.

I made a video of the first run - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yxJF5dNLEk

More updates with it coming soon

Cheers
BP

Chapter President of the Westralian Old Outboard Club Chapter of AOMCI

Collecting every outboard available in and around
Australia, made all over the world
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 03:10:20 PM »

"no dings or scratches"......looks like a ding on the second picture front R (sorry - starboard), but....who cares! Happy boating.

A
AusOB_Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 02:24:35 PM »

A,

Since this last post, I've done some more work on the boat - after the paint stripped off, it became clear that there were many dings and holes that had been filled in by the previous owners.

Now, she doesn't leak anymore, is officially registered and also has a fresh coat of paint. It was used numerous times at our outboard Meet we had recently with no trouble.

Also, after further research, she is a 1970 3.3m Savage Mk1 Gull V-Nose punt...

More pics etc coming soon
Cheers
BP

Chapter President of the Westralian Old Outboard Club Chapter of AOMCI

Collecting every outboard available in and around
Australia, made all over the world
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »

Hello Boyd,
Earlier this morning I made the time to watch the Video of your first outing in your new boat.
Your tinny is exactly what I need for my 1960 10hp short shaft rude, so I can burn around our creeks and rivers over here. I'll keep my eyes peeled over this side of our Continent to see what turns up.

Keep warm old mate.

MERCMAN.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:51:38 AM by MERCMAN » Logged

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »

If it is a Savage Gull, better it is an old one as the later ones had a terrible Vee bottom and very unstable.
Chair
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: