logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 05:38:07 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mer Outboard Transom Mounting Holes  (Read 967 times)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2016, 12:00:21 PM »

Ok, yet another curiosity Q that I can't find an answer for.

Are the mounting holes of larger (re inline-6) older Mercs (lets say late 60's/early 70's) that same as those of the last generation of inline-6's (i.e. circa mid-late 80's with inbuilt tilt trim pumps)?

I'm still looking at options for replacing the 1000SS on the Galstron and would like to avoid drilling new holes in the original* reinforcing transom plate.

* Hull is plated to 65hp but has the matching age 100hp and stainless plate with no signs its ever had another motor on it. I want to avoid drilling more holes in the plate in case I do go ahead with a full resto of the hull/motor some time in the future.  BUT... I do need to put a better motor on it as the 1000SS just keeps sending me hints it about done  Angry

Cheers,
AJ

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »

The answer you are looking for Aaron is sadly - No.
It's no big deal to seal up the old holes. Find some dowel about the same diameter as the existing holes. If necessary, trim them down with a sharp chisel. Make sure the dowels are slightly shorter than the thickness of your transom and belt them in whilst making sure they are recessed inside and outside. Using a good quality sealant, fill the recesses so they are flush.

Beg, borrow or steal a paper transom bracket template and keep it handy. You may be able to even down load something, and print it on two A4's and sticky tape them together? Purchase a new white or translucent nylon chopping board, you know the type.... you can sometimes get them at the reject shops. Before you start cutting, make sure the chopping board is larger than the transom bracket mounting surface. Now shape the nylon board by putting say a 5 degree cut on either side to make the bottom width slightly narrower than the top width, then add small radii to all corners using a jigsaw. Mark the centre line of your new transom board and mark the centre of your transom. Using more sealant and a couple of clamps, attach the transom board to your transom. (be sure to line up the two centre lines)
Then simply place the paper transom template on the centre line of your transom and mark the bolt holes.
Important, before you commence drilling your bolt holes, ensure the drill bit is 90 degrees to the transom board and not horizontal, most people will make this mistake.

Call me if you want and I'll talk you through it. Its easy, I've done a million of them.... well at least a dozen!

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »

By jingo you are a clever lad Guy .  Cool

Might use the system to strengthen the stern of my fibreglass clinker style sailing dinghy to take the 5 hp Yamaha .

My back won't take sailing anymore so it is a good way to enjoy the Georges River and as a tender to SX-2 .

Hello Oldenrude  Smiley and dad .

Neil

Hard a' starboard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: