logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 05:54:46 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Australian Seasprite Outboard  (Read 2733 times)
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:22:56 PM »

On the 16th of September 1946 the founders of the Australian Marine Engine Company (AMECO) of Melbourne announced they would apply for incorporation. By the 8th of October that very same year, they advertised the display of their Seamaster (3.0hp air-cooled) outboard, and that they were taking orders on a first come first served basis.

During mid/late 1947 they released the Seasprite, a 3.5hp at 3,000rpm water-cooled outboard. The Seasprite used many of the Seamaster components and proved to be the more popular of the two AMECO products.

By 1950 manufacturing rights for the Seamaster and Seasprite outboards had transferred to AW Pryor (a former distributor for AMECO) of Brisbane where production continued until the very late 50ís and possibly early 60ís. Only minor changes were made to both outboards during Pryor ownership. Pryor was also the exclusive importer of British Anzani outboards from which my user name was derived.

Some 18 months ago, I stumbled across my first Seasprite outboard on display and advertised for sale in an antiques store. I had intended to restore it straight away but found a few issues that could only be solved through the replacement of parts. The parts were eventually found, but other projects were already underway, so the Seasprite sat idle until time was freed up.

With other projects now stalled (Verity Outboard) and a few days annual leave left to go, it was time to pull my finger out and commence restoration of the Seasprite.

To begin however, a few pics of what it looked like when found in the antiques store.

And at home after a bit of a degrease and high pressure wash.

As other projects were underway and space was limited, I decided to remove parts, clean/prepare them and reassemble so that nothing became misplaced/lost.

All pretty much stripped of paint here with the exception of the transom assembly and fuel tank which were needed for color matching.

Was able to confirm with members Collector Inspector and Notav8, that this green and blue combination is in fact consistent with other Seasprite outboards of similar vintage and therefore correct. With the original green color matched (see sample below), it was time to proceed with the restoration. Silly me however forgot to take the tank in to also have the blue color matched  Roll Eyes so that will have to wait until the next opportunity arises.

With all parts stripped and cleaned, 2 coats each of etch primer, Seasprite green and clear coat were applied and allowed to dry before moving on to pre-assembly

Finishing off (with the exception of carburetor and tank) today.

Left of the list of things to do is to repair the damaged flange on the carby, paint and refit the tank and carby and fit a number of new split pins. In the meantime, I've stated to recreate the tank decals. These do vary from year to year (color palette and wording) and hence there's a bit more research to be done before I can move to finalise them.

All going well, the restoration should be completed over the coming weeks.

Regards,
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:53:38 PM »

I find you workmanship ,information and posts quality even though the subject is not in my field an inspiration !

Neil

Hard a' starboard
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 07:23:39 AM »

Here here!
Outstanding attention to detail. I'm very envious.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
slowpoke
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:01:24 AM »

Meticulous work, expertly done.  The result is outstanding.

Ken
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 11:40:16 AM »

Thanks guys, still have a ways to go on this one but it's getting close.

Neil, you may be interested to know that I have been on the look out for a chapman single and a chapman twin to restore for some time now, but haven't been able to find anything in the right price range or location. When I do though, I'll knock up a thread just for you.  Wink

And for Guy, I have a 1949 Mercury KF7 - Hurricane Super 10 in my collection that I intend to restore over the next few months. Will need some parts from the US and possibly some MERCMAN advice for that one though.

Regards,

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 06:24:31 PM »

Unfortunately not a lot of progress made so far this week.

Back at work, weather has been crazy (for example 42C yesterday, 14C today) and I am having trouble deciphering and therefore recreating the decals. It seems that sometime after the change of ownership from AMECO to AW Pryor there was also a change in the specified lubricants ie from Mobiloil BB to Castrol XXL (engine) and Mobiloil UW to Castrol ?? (gearbox) and of course the lube instructions that I've recreated and shown above are not correct for this particular Seasprite   Roll Eyes

In additions the decals went from 3 piece ie Seasprite logo/name at center rear, lube instructions on one side, operating instructions on the other to an all in one wrap around decal.

I've managed to sort the operating instructions, but still need to sort the lube instructions. If anyone can help decipher from the image below (and the one a couple posts up as they will be similar), it would be greatly appreciated.

I did however manage to revisit my supplier and match up the Blue for the tank. See sample pic below and let me know where the new paint has been applied. Near enough to a perfect match IMO, and all done by eye in a matter of minutes.

Look forward to your input.

Regards,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: