logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2018, 09:11:17 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Verity Outboard - Piston Rings Needed  (Read 1871 times)
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2015, 04:19:58 PM »

Hello all,

I'm in the middle of restoring a 1949-50 Verity Outboard, serial number 619 and have found that it had been previously assembled with one piston ring missing.

If anyone here can put me on to a potential supplier of vintage style small engine piston rings in Melbourne, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks & regards
Spiro
slowpoke
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 09:35:27 AM »

I stumbled across these folk the other day, could be worth a try:
JP Pistons,
25-31 Innes Rd
Windsor Gardens
South Australia 5087
Australia
phone: +61 8 8261 7222
fax: +61 8 8261 9171
email: pistons@jp.com.au

From their website:  "JP Pistons have Australia's largest range of loose piston rings. Our sizes range from 1.000" right up to 12 inches! Ring types include cast and chrome compression rings for four-stroke and two-stroke engines as well as plain oil (single piece cast iron) and multiple piece oil control rings.
All rings are available as individual rings or as engine sets."[/i][/i]
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 05:04:52 PM »

Thank you Slowpoke, I've been put on to a place in Mitcham (approx 20km's from home) so will give that a try first. The idea of being able to physically take a ring in and have it matched against a replacement is appealing. Failing that, I'll be on to your contact with the following pictorial of what I'm after.

Verity Rings

Ring Image - 1 of 2 identical rings per piston. Note bevel on Internal Face.

Ring - Width (between Upper & Lower Side Faces)

Ring - Radial Wall Thickness

Barrel / Cylinder Diameter

Piston Diameter

Piston Ring Seat / Groove Diameter

Also interesting to note is that although the the Verity and Riptide Fisherman comprise what is essentially the same engine (Riptide Fisherman is a remodeled/simplified for production Verity), the rings on the Riptide have smaller Width and Radial Wall Thickness dimensions.

Riptide Fisherman Rings

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again & Regards,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: