logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 03:57:46 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Haydon Hydrodyne rubber(like)sole  (Read 1267 times)
yochemin
Board God

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »

Finally got around to having a look at the bottom of HH
A lengthy run with the freshly tuned Starflight, should have been a joy
Not so, wouldn't get up to any speed without the death wobbles and was tracking through any wash  we encountered
MERCMAN had suggested a soft floor, stringers problem                                                                      A  diagnosis that was confirmed later, when my foot went thru to the hull when standing up

The hunt for hog was on
This was the first time I'd had a close look underneath HH
Didn't know there was a mini keel running about 2/3 the length of her  from the front
Finishing at a depth of 3"  that was a surprise!
I jacked HH up in the trailer and Placed a bit of straight steel under the keel
This allowed me to see if the keel had hog, 3 to 5mm in places, mostly passable
A string line down each side to the transom bottom edge
Looks like there was a 20mm gap between hull and stringline, the rear end with the weight of the outboard on had dropped  behind the keel
My trailer has 2 planks each side of the centre rollers, and i believe the transom has sunken down to meet the outer planks
If your not convinced of the condition of your HH's floor and stringers or even if you are, I think putting a wedge under the transom in the centre, maybe a good preventive measure
I had an 80hp Evinrude on mine, and that's a lot of weight behind the keel

As I've gotten further into the job, cleaned out the old floor and stringers and such and removed the top section  I'm more convinced than ever this wedge is a good idea
The hull itself is very flexible on the trailer
It's a very flimsy bit of work, 5mm thick in most places, with the top deck even thinner
What is mostly used to keep things in place is 10mm marine ply glued to the inner hull  bottom then glassed in, part of one off these sections is used as the foot well
Great when new but failing badly after 50 or so years

Now clean, I'm experimenting with using barrel's of water in the back section to straighten her up
Chocking up the transom and filling the barrel's until the hull drops down to contact the string lines
Seemed to  work well and should allow the new stringers to be glassed in while the barrel's are in place
Anyway, it's all cross your fingers stuff, so, will post again when further along

Steve

* WP_20150824_16_59_43_Pro.jpg (550.3 KB, 1918x1079 - viewed 123 times.)

* WP_20150908_11_16_04_Pro.jpg (786.33 KB, 1918x1079 - viewed 122 times.)

When your walking on egg shells , don't hop
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 06:47:46 PM »

Sorry to hear of the new problem Steve .
Sad to hear the hunt for the hog was on .
As a timber/wooden boat man I am familiar with the term hog .
Known as hogged I think it comes from the leg tying of pigs so that their body is arched ' Head and Bum down '
Given that ,  we can see that is doesn't bode well for sailing ships through to runabouts .
Guess you are doing a dry straightener , as you know wood excepts 20 pct of moisture and makes it flexible .

Have my fingers crossed also .

Neil

Hard a' starboard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: