logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2018, 02:22:49 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mercury 125 Quincy + Twister 1  (Read 4383 times)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:30:55 PM »

Just stumbled across this post: http://ozboatracers.myfreeforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=3098&start=0

Couple of crazy motors.

AJ

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:21:02 AM »

See http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=518.msg3198#msg3198

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 04:52:49 PM »

Cool.

In the one and only post by 'thunderbolt' he mentioned Merc Marine fitting a 175 to a Galstron for demo purposes.  Any idea what model Glastron that would have been... and... are we talking a 175HP inline-6?Huh

AJ

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 09:44:27 AM »

From memory the 175hp was the first of Mercs V6 outboards, circa 1973.

I don't think there was ever a Mercury 175hp L6, Mercman would know better.

Regards,
Spiro
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »

There was never any I6 rated at 175hp as a production motor.

In a nut shell, Mr David Jerry Hale first joined Mercury in March 1965 as a project engineer. In January 1970 Mercury commissioned Jerry (as he is known) to develop the worlds first V6 outboard at Mercury's outboard engineering Plant # 6 located in Oshkosh Ill. During early 1972 the first sand cast prototypes of their V6 were being assembled and rigorously tested at Mercury's facility at Lake X in Florida.
The first Black Max was off the production line and introduced for sale to the general public as a 175hp unit in 1976.

Would you believe.. the first V6 prototype ever run is still in very safe custody to this very day?
I'm please to report the father of Black Max , Mr Hale is still alive and very well too.

MERCMAN.

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »

Yep, I would agree with 1976. Was thinking development when I stated 1973.

Whilst I don't have 175 Black Max in my collection, I do have an original advertising plaque that stood beside one back in the day.

Also have a heap of Mercury Banners and Flags of similar vintage.

Small Black Max Flags (yes I have a few) approx. 2 1/2 to 3 foot width

Large Black Max Banner approx. 8 foot width

Regards,
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 04:09:26 PM »

Ya gotta sell me one of those flags!

I'll PM ya about the real Black Max

MERCMAN.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 08:19:55 PM »

Ok, so here's another curiosity Q re older Merc racing motors (pre any V-6 technology, talking BP, twister, XS, etc)...

... I see in the USA/Canada/Europe, there seems to be heaps still around.  There is no end to the YouTube videos of people that have these motors still in orig or restored condition.

Here in Aus, there seems to be a tiny scattering of them, most that are known of/known who has them/with history/etc.

You guys, that once raced must have a sense for how many came into the country and how many are currently accounted for...

... so therefore how many 'might' be out there in someones garage/farm shed?

Do you think there are still finds to be had?

I note a 850XS (yes I know, not super racey as such) was just sold out of Ebay NSW on the back of a clapped out old hull for under $700!  No mention of XS in the ad, so I assume the owner new not what they had.

AJ

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 01:40:01 PM »

You have asked very good questions Aaron,
1. Australia never purchased as many factory racing outboards as did the USA. It was far more of a popular sport in the USA because the Yanks have always had a larger population than us. It's simply a numbers thing, I'm sure you understand. Most of the outboard racing in the USA was conducted in freshwater lakes, dams and rivers. Thus the salt water in Australia was demise of most of the power plants that did make their way over here .
2. As for finds still to be had.. we tend to be a wasteful lot over here. The Yanks tend to be hoarders. See TV shows like American Pickers. However, I still think there has to be a few good examples squirrelled away.
3. You're dead right, an 850XS is not that racey. The unique things were: low water intakes, short shaft, fluted cowl wrap and unique decals. Only a handful of 850XS's were raced over here. Shortly after the release of Mercs 850XS  OMC released a 3 cylinder short shaft motor called a FT Hustler. Based on the 75hp platform the FT had a streamline and small high ratio gearbox, 3 carbies and porting tricks. That thing was a real weapon and virtually bullet proof.
There are many collectors in the USA who would gladly part with their "hard earned" in order complete their set of the three XS's manufactured in the 70's.
So you are most likely correct in saying the vendor didn't really know what he was actually selling.

MERCMAN.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:12:21 PM by MERCMAN » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: