logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2017, 03:07:01 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Riptide Sportsman  (Read 15637 times)
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »

Thank you Guy & Neil, your comments are much appreciated.

Guy, whenever you're ready to speak about paint prep, don't hesitate to give me a call.

Finding some interesting things in this outboard. Flywheel has a crack in the top section suspected to be from a prior failed attempt at removal. As a result however, the conventional method of removal (puller) will cause further damage, hence I'm going to need another flywheel. It is a WICO PACY made in England, and is used on numerous small engines, so I'm hoping there will be one I can get a hold of somewhere.

I've removed the engine from the mid & lower, and have removed the head and exhaust manifold off the engine also. This allowed me to confirm both pistons are frozen solid within their respective barrels (cylinders). I managed to free one after persisting for approx. 3 hours yesterday. Got the other to move approx. 3/4" also, but in doing that, the skirt came in to contact with one of the barrel studs and is now broken. The pistons (photos later) are very similar to those used in early Johnson and Evinrude outboards, and hence I will take some measurements and post on the AOMCI forums for identification and replacement advice. Will keep you all posted.

Why I chose this as a hobby I do not know (grrrrrrr). And that bloke who invented salt water, well, I've got a few things to say to him also.

Regards,
S

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2017, 10:17:20 AM »

Thanks for your note Spiro, I will certainly chat with you about painting and prep down the track.

Over the past 6 weeks have very been busy with other things, including life in general (where does the time go?) Your most recent post is providing me with new enthusiasm to re-focus on completing the assembly of my 10hp 'rude.

As for the salt water... no wonder there are so many "old outboard" nerds in the USA! So much old and beautiful machinery to choose from because their outboard motors have never seen (or smelt) salt water. The lucky ducks!

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: