logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 18, 2018, 07:20:28 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Riptide Sportsman  (Read 24251 times)
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »

Just a quick update to let you know what's been going on.

Firstly (and most importantly) I'd like to let you know that I received a response to my email to Barry J Sheltrum, son of Leonard (Len) Sheltrum who founded the Riptide Outboard Motor Company. To say I was excited about this would be an understatement. In due course, I will post a summary of the information provided by Barry which includes an image of Len holding an Australian Power Boat Association - Certificate of Speed Record dated 31st March 1959, Wagga Motor Boat Club, Lake Albert. Boat - Riptide II (No. 404) A Class Racing Runabout, Powered by a 242cc Riptide Sportsman Outboard. The speed noted on the certificate is 28.637mph.

An image of Riptide II can be seen here: http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/1677656/riptide+frank+rice+59.jpg driven by Frank Rice also 1959

As for my Sportsman, the Upper and Lower cowls, Gearbox and Trunk (mid-section) have been attended to and are now free of those casting defects shown in the above pic. I hope to achieve same with the Swivel and Transom brackets later this week, and if the weather gods allow, I might even attempt application of the top coat.

Barry has confirmed the original colors for the Sportsman were White or White with Yellow upper cowl ie as was noted on my very own during the paint removal phase.

From that we can also summise that the color schemes were changed (or added to) following acquisition of the Riptide Outboard Motor Company by Westcott Hazel. The acquisition will have come with stock of completed outboards and pre-painted parts, which were simply painted over with the WH color schemes.

We believe this to be the case because;

a. Another Gold/Bronze Sportsman was donated to the Powerhouse Museum by Barry in 1983. Images of this Sportsman also reveal Gold/Bronze paint over a yellow upper cowl and white gearbox. Image of that one here: http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=213341
b. Other Sportsman owners have also advised their Sportsman Outboards have white and Yellow under their Black topcoats.

No pics from me this time.

Regards,

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 05:58:05 PM by AusF233 » Logged
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2015, 05:47:32 PM »

G'day all, just another quick update.

Sorry about the image quality. I probably should start using my camera again instead of the phone!

Reassembly will commence soon as the paint has hardened.

Regards,
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »

I seem to recall Len Sheltram Marine was located on The Hume Highway (Liverpool Rd) in Chullora or a suburb near by. Neil, can you recall where exactly it was?

Spiro, you are very handy on a spay gun, the finish you have achieved is more than acceptable. I hope my efforts will turn out nearly as good as yours.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
garyg

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »

Hi AusF233, I've just been reading back through this, and on the first page you mention "..Darker spots are where corrosion had set in under the paint, and will require some further treatment."
What is the "further treatment" you refer to?  Do you treat it with something to inhibit further corrosion?
Thanks Gary
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »

I seem to recall Len Sheltram Marine was located on The Hume Highway (Liverpool Rd) in Chullora or a suburb near by. Neil, can you recall where exactly it was?

Spiro, you are very handy on a spay gun, the finish you have achieved is more than acceptable. I hope my efforts will turn out nearly as good as yours.

MERCMAN.

Thank you Guy, just one clarification though. All was done with spray cans. Super Cheap Auto did the color match and filled the cans for me ie using Color Spec base coat. Color Spec Clear was applied over the top and is needed to complete the process.

PS: I'll dig out some pics of the original "Cigarette" for you shortly. Have been under the pump at work again.

Regards,
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2015, 04:23:10 PM »

Hi AusF233, I've just been reading back through this, and on the first page you mention "..Darker spots are where corrosion had set in under the paint, and will require some further treatment."
What is the "further treatment" you refer to?  Do you treat it with something to inhibit further corrosion?
Thanks Gary

G'day Gary,

By extra treatment, I just meant extra work. These weren't too bad actually. Some further sanding and the dark staining was gone, and in most cases there was no pitting to be concerned about.

If the corrosion (or casting) is so bad that you end up with a pitted surface, then you need to clean thoroughly before applying etch primer. You then fill with blade putty, sand back to smooth, apply a spray putty (otherwise known as high build primer), and sand back to achieve expected finish before applying the top coats. 

One big tip is that after each sanding it pays to blow over the entire surface with high pressure air. This will blow out all the dust from the little pin holes etc that you otherwise wouldn't see until you apply the top coat .... and then its too late.

I didn't go that far with this one ie on the basis that I wanted to achieve the sort of finish that existed back in the day. Very good but not perfect if you know what I mean.

Regards,
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2015, 06:25:09 PM »

Progressed the resto a tad further this weekend, and learned a few things along the way. Some good, some not so good!

Anyway, following pics tell the story, but will kick off with a snap of some information received from Barry Sheltrum, son of Len Sheltrum founder of the Riptide Outboard Motor Company.

First task was to make the gaskets needed before reassembly could commence. Ended up using 1.2mm compressed fiber rated at 400C albeit that the temperatures will never get that high.

Moved on to the trunk thinking I could then use this as a work platform only to realise that I don't have any spare outboard stands. No big deal, it needed to be reassembled anyway.

The blue stuff is just high build primer overspray all of which has now been removed.

Repainted the base section inside lower cowl ie to reflect the original paint scheme.

Single gasket for engine and exhaust ie again to reflect the original set up.

Looking a lot more respectable under here now.

Just a point to note. Water pick up must be connected before the mid-section is refitted. Will be leaving that till next week. Probably wise to seal the tube to the rubber grommet ie to prevent any possibility of it falling out during water pump/impeller replacement.

Support bracket, fuel bowl and crank case fittings

Carb and magneto fitted for the purpose of checking operation of synch ie with linkages fitted. This confirmed the bend in synch plate was excessive, causing it to foul against the linkages as the magneto was rotated throughout its range. Straightened the synch plate. It now clears the linkages and provides WOT which we didn't have before. Carb will be removed again to facilitate re-assembly of the forward/neutral linkages and allow for shift shaft adjustment.

More next week.

Regards,
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2015, 08:39:22 AM »

Wow Spiro, your workmanship is certainly impressive.
You'll have to reveal how to properly remove the Cups from the Thumb Screws and in turn, successfully replace them.

MERCMAN.

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »

G'day Guy,

I don't bother removing them anymore mate. Too hit and miss ie with the variation in material they're made from.

These days I just clean them up as best I can, then mask and paint.

Regards
Spiro
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »

A word of thanks must go to "Chair" for supplying images of his Sportsman, which have been of great assistance to me. Thank you kindly David.

I've been able to use Davids photos to piece together what the decals would have looked like. Not 100% sure about the 'R' just yet. Had to use creative license on that as there was nothing really to work from. So all considered a work in progress for now, with some 10-12 hours already invested to get them to where they are.

Will scour the net for more images, hopefully get that 'R' 100% perfect before going to print.

Regards,

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2015, 01:58:56 PM »

Not a lot of progress on the Rippy in the last 2 weeks unfortunately.

Needed to fabricate a stand and really couldn't be bothered in the sh*tty Melbourne whether. Had a quiet one instead and hope to get into it again next weekend.

Regards,
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »

No progress on the Sportsman again this weekend

Whether was ok, but wanted to do a bit to the Riptide Fisherman that I'll run a thread on here a little later.

Both have given me more grief than any other outboard I've restored thus far. Suspect it's just due to the heavy saltwater use and years of neglect.

Had to use the torch extensively on the Fisherman ie just as I did the Sportsman.

And yes, I did manage to burn myself several times along the way.  Roll Eyes Sad
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »

Another Riptide Sportsman!

I stumbled across an image of a Riptide Sportsman on Facebook along with a request for assistance with identification. Responded to that and several days later found myself talking to the owner. He had found it under a house he had purchased some 18 months ago, and had no interest in it what so ever. As there was a chance it would end up at the local tip, I offered him fair money for it and arranged to meet at an agreed location some 300km from home.

About 10 minutes prior to arriving at the meeting place, I received a call from my brother to say that my father had passed. My plans now are to restore in memory of my father and to display it in my study.

Facebook photos

No time to inspect. Cash handed over, loaded in to the boot of the car and back to Melbourne.

Serial number. Note my other is 60 8020 so 1 year apart.

Pressure washed and with wrap around cowl section removed. Prior to purchasing, was advised that the engine was locked up. Have had the head off to check the bores. only some light surface oxidisation, so I'm confident it will be fairly easy to free up.

Need to pull my finger out and reassemble the other before I go much further with this one.

Regards,
S
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »

Geez Spiro,
We are so sorry to learn about the passing of your Dad. On behalf of the members of the Board, please accept our sincere condolences. Our thoughts are certainly with you at this time.

As for your Riptide, what a great little pickup that one is. It looks great even with just a wash.
In your post dated 24/05/15 you have a brochure showing a very good example of the Riptide "R" which you were looking for. 

I hope to be able to spend more time on my 1960 10hp 'rude this weekend. If she ends up being a reliable runner, I'm going to give her a full external restoration, decals included  http://nymarine.ca/60EV10WEBPIC.gif
I definitely need to speak with you about painting prep' before I even start that part of the project.

MERCMAN.

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2017, 10:26:05 AM »

My condolences Spiro on the passing of your Dad .
That would be a fine tribute to his memory .

Neil

Hard a' starboard
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: