logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2018, 12:18:55 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Riptide Sportsman  (Read 27840 times)
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »

Well there you go. I had absolutely no idea!

The new acquisition is a Riptide Fisherman. Same model as that used by David Toyer as a boy, but not the exact same outboard unfortunately.

Here's a couple pics. I love the original Green and Gold colour scheme. As Australian as can be! 4hp, water-cooled, twin cylinder, horizontally arranged. Can't wait to get it going  Cool

PS: Hoping to make contact with Barry Sheltrum over the next couple of days.

Regards,

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 06:52:00 AM »

I remember meeting Barry in about 1962. Both of us were very young boys, messing around in boats! I might call you later today, time permitting.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 08:04:47 AM »

Hi AusF233
Please show us your recent acquisition which was previously used by David Toyer when he was a small boy. For those who don't know, David is possibly the best (all rounder) boat racer in Australia.

When I say David was an all rounder, I refer to:
Outboard Powered
 * Mono Hulls - Short Circuit, Kilo, Marathon and Offshore.
 * Tunnel Boats - Most classes, inc' unlimited.

Inboard Powered
 * Mono Hull.
 * Hydroplane.

David conducted many pleasure boat evaluation tests on behalf of many boating magazines and also wrote his own columns in magazines such as Sea Spray and Powerboat.

Over the years, David has pretty much raced a boat at just about every sanctioned Race Circuit on the East Coast of Australia, inc' Tas and SA. He commenced racing in the mid to late late 1960's and was still racing in the 2000's, I recall. He may even have the occasional steer now, I'm not sure? Since my move to the South Coast, I haven't chatted with David for about 5 or 6 years. I certainly wish him well.

MERCMAN.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 03:09:34 PM »

Did he race with a 4HP??!

A
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 06:35:52 PM »

Did he race with a 4HP??!

A

I suspect the Riptide Fisherman was used for recreational activities well before his racing days.  Wink
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 09:32:23 PM »

Dead right Spiro, after cutting his teeth in the 45ci Class, David then moved up through the 66ci, 75ci and 100ci Classes for Outboards. From the late 70's onward, he was usually racing at speeds well above 100MPH in the various Classes he chose to compete in. A true Champion indeed.
I can't ever recall seeing David get wet. (if you know what I mean)

MERCMAN.

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2015, 06:22:43 PM »

I don't have any race history myself, but I do enjoy running my Haines 565L as hard as the body will allow, given sea conditions at the time.

The 200Efi 2.5L Merc on the back pushes it along at between 89 & 91kmh, WOT 5,900 rpm, almost zero prop slip. To be expected I guess with just the rear 6" of the planning plank and prop in the water Grin  Nowhere near as fast as you guys have been on the water, but not too shabby for a fishin' boat either.

In forth form (year 10 I think it is these days) I built a 8ft hydro in my wood work class. Didn't have the foresight at the time to realise I couldn't afford an outboard or trailer, and that my father wouldn't want to tow it behind his beloved Gemini wagon anyway. Sold that to buy my first car, a HR prem a couple years later.

Why mention all of that? Don't know really, but if anyone knows of small vintage hydro and race outboard either individually or as a package that may be for sale, I would certainly like to know more about it.

Never to old to start aye  Cool
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 06:26:55 PM by AusF233 » Logged
notav8

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »

Hi AusF233
I find that interesting. I am not much of a fisherman, but, I wonder how many fish you catch at 90kph. Grin
I love your new ? Riptide. I did wonder if you found the Tiller for it.
Maybe you will post a video of it running, so I will know what one sounds like. Cheesy
Either that, or I get my one going. Wink Roll Eyes
Good luck with Sheltrum, as I would love some info on the Rippys.
Cheers
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »

Hi AusF233
I find that interesting. I am not much of a fisherman, but, I wonder how many fish you catch at 90kph.

I know you're gonna struggle to believe this Notav8, but I chase down southern blue fin tuna, and when I get close enough, I just scoop them up with my net.  Cool Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2015, 05:43:59 PM »

A little bit more progress on the Sportsman this weekend.

Magneto has been fully rebuilt and all parts have been hit with a couple coats of etch primer. Here's a few pics of where we finished up, starting with the magneto.

As you would expect with aluminium castings of that era, they are not the best. Here's a close up of some of the imperfections. Plan is to fill with blade putty, sand back, apply a high build primer, sand back and attend to any left over pin holes etc blade putty. Following that a final sand and we should be right for the top coat.

Still a way to go yet before it's completed, but we're getting there slowly.

Regards,
notav8

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »

Hi AusF233,
Your right mate, I do struggle to believe your fishing technique LOL.
In my boat, I can't catch a picture of a Tuna, let alone a real fish  Grin.
Great job of the Sportsman.
I see what you mean with the Casting flaws. Reminds me of the old girlfriend. Wink LOL
It great what  some filler will do. Grin
Ignition looks better than new.
Fantastic Job.
Cheers
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 05:36:46 PM »

A few have questioned what the color this is going to be painted, so I thought I'd answer here.

As far as the top coat goes, I'm leaning towards the Wimbledon White (thanks for the color match MERCMAN & Notav8) at the moment for 3 main reasons.

1. Condition of the castings. Fewer defects will show through the White top coat ie than Gold/Bronze or Black for example.
2. This Sportsman was originally painted Wimbledon White, with the Gold/Bronze applied over the top. Special factory order maybe?Huh?
3. Do not know the paint code for the Gold/Bronze used back in the day, hence anything along these lines applied would be just a guess and likely to be way off the mark.

Upper cowl was Yellow under the Gold/Bronze ie typical of Sportsmans back in the day. Don't know if I'm going to maintain that or stick with all White ie same as "Chairs" Sportsman.

Anyway, have to fix the casting first, so plenty of time to think about it all.

I'd love to hear members opinions on the subject.

Thanks & regards,

Regards,
AusF233
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »

Hello Spiro
Your work is inspiring !
Re the colour what about an ethnic blue/white and with you at the tiller she would probably do 100 mph  Grin Roll Eyes

Neil

Hard a' starboard
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2015, 05:56:21 PM »

Thank you Neil, but I think I shall stay with the standard factory colors  Wink

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2015, 01:04:35 PM »

Just another quick update.

On another site, questions were asked about the synch plate attached to the bottom of the magneto. I thought it would beneficial to share the information on the Board.

So here's there detail. The synch performs three functions.

1. Mechanical advance
2. Throttle
3. Min and max end limits for the mechanical advance (achieved on you Sportsman via a groove in the collar ie as pictured in your above post).

Quick reassembly for the photos. My apologies for the poor lighting.

Off position. Mechanical advance at minimum end limit.

Start position. Mechanical advance engaged. Throttle still at min position.

Full power position. Mechanical advance at max end limit. Throttle wide open. In other words, my favorite position Cool

PS: As photographed the synch plate is definitely a little over-bent. It needs to be straightened slightly in order to achieve wide open throttle.

Regards,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: