logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2018, 09:01:16 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Riptide Sportsman  (Read 27811 times)
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 06:14:12 PM »

Water pump finally out and another BIG thank you message to Bruce for his guidance and support.

Bruce sent me a couple of pics that showed exactly what I was dealing with below the water pump and possibly preventing it from being removed. The main shaft is in fact two piece with a small cylindrical splined collar forming the connection between the two pieces below the water pump itself. The collar on my Sportman was fabricated from mild steel. Build up of rust over the years and dried up grease basically caused it to bond (for want of another word) with the stainless shaft pieces.

Having lubricated each night of the past week, I expected it to come free easily this morning. I was wrong. Over three hours work to get the damn thing apart.

As you would expect, rubber impeller is in bad shape and will need to be replaced and without any form of ID on the unit, finding a suitable replacement (more than likely Merc, Johnno or Rude) will be fun. Anyway, we are moving forward, albeit more slowly than ever imagined.

Spent the next couple of hours cleaning and de-buring all splined parts. Shaft ends now fit where they need to with ease. This should make reassembly a heck of a lot more pleasant.

Image of the reworked collar. From rusted mess to this;

Will more on to the ignition components next which looks at lot more complicated than it really is. Coils test fine, so I should have spark one the points are given a good clean up.

With most parts still needing some work (eg holes filled, siezed screws etc removed) it will probably be another week or so before I can start to apply the primer.

Regards,
notav8

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 07:27:32 PM »

Looking Good. It should all be easy from here, as I think you have covered all the issues .?
Im sure the Impeller will be a simple match up. Grin
Cant wait to see it all back together.
Cheers
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 08:29:51 PM »

Re your impeller. It doesn't look like anything that Mercs have had. The bush looks to be similar, but that's all. The outside diameter appears to be too large and the impeller is too thin to be Merc.
OMC's have had plenty of larger diameter impellers over the years, I feel you'll have better luck looking at that range. Mark S should be able to steer you in the right direction. Let us know if you need further assistance.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »

Re your impeller. It doesn't look like anything that Mercs have had. The bush looks to be similar, but that's all. The outside diameter appears to be too large and the impeller is too thin to be Merc.

G’day MERCMAN,

Last night I caught up with a very close friend, Allister Louis of AJL Marine. Allister is probably Victoria’s best mobile marine mechanic. Allister and Guy Hanson are also close from what I understand.
Anyway, we unpacked a brand new impellor for a 15hp Mercury and compared it to the impellor from the Sportsman. The bush was the only difference between the two, everything else was exactly same. The Riptide impellor has a bronze bush, straight cut key way slot and designed to fit over a ˝” shaft. The Merc impellor has a plastic/nylon bush with a half round keyway slot and accepts a shaft of larger diameter (sorry, I failed to measure). We could in fact make the Merc impellor work by fabricating an intermediate bush, so that is now our fall back position if we don’t find a drop in replacement.

Allister feels however the Riptide impellor is likely going to be same as that of an early Chrysler in the 5 or 6hp range. His ‘homework’ for last night was to check and confirm via the various technical publications he has in his library. I hope to hear from him later today.

On another forum, member Collector Inspector indicated the impellor in his Sportsman was same as that used on a small Evinrude outboard, ie he was comparing against an Evinrude impellor he had in sitting his shed.

We must remember back in the day, the number of primary manufacturers of parts of any description was limited. In case of impellors, Lord Rubber and Finsbray (spelling?) were the two main manufacturers. As demand grew, so did the number of manufacturers and deign variations.

So, cutting a long story short, we are confident that a drop in replacement will be found without too much difficulty, however should we fail with that the fall back position will be to use the above-mentioned Mercury impellor with an intermediate bush.

Thanks & Regards,
slowpoke
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 01:03:39 PM »

What are the critical dimensions? Shaft diameter, overall diameter (with the starfish legs out straight), bush thickness, rubber thickness?

With pics showing your finger and hand as a guide for size, I looked in my parts bin and found a new OMC (old 25 or 30hp I think) impeller that looks similar, still in its packaging. Critical metric dimensions are: bronze bush 10.8mm hole x approx 22 OD x approx 12 deep - takes a 3.3 wide key;  rubber star is 69mm OD across the legs x 13 deep. All measurements taken while still in thin plastic bag. Sierra part #18-3001, replaces OMC 277181, 434424.

Let's have some dimensions and I will look at the others.
Ken
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 02:17:42 PM »

Hello Ken,

Fantastic response, thank you kindly sir!

The impeller is currently with Allister, so I can't measure/quote critical dimensions. If it helps though, the Mercury impeller (Genuine) was model number 47-85089. Only difference between this and the Riptide impeller was the bore size ie to suit the main shaft. This needs to be 1/2" or 12.7mm. Key way slot was of a different shape, but still approx. same width and depth. This is not critical anyway, because the shaft on the Riptide has a pin (not a key) to locate and drive the impeller.

I believe Allister will be stopping in to spare parts at JV Marine later today. Those guys will likely be able to match it up straight away.

Will let you know who he gets on.

Thanks again & Regards,
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 04:06:11 PM »

OK, so here's the revised plan ...... based on readily available parts.

Replacement impellor is a Johnson / Evinrude 3-7.5hp OEM Code 434424 or Sierra 18-3001 as advised above by Slowpoke/Ken. This impeller is identical in every respect ie with the exception of the bore which is 7/16" (11.11mm) instead of the required 1/2" (12.7mm).

A reamer will be used to increase the bore to the required dimension. There should remain enough slot to locate correctly on to the pin in the shaft. If not, we will deepen the slot to insure a good fit and drive.

Thanks again for your input and support Notav8, MERCMAN and Slowpose. Very much appreciated.

Regards,

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 12:52:33 PM »

Just received a call from Allister, Impeller with resized bore is ready for pick up. Didn't expect him to actually do the work, but that's the sort of bloke he is.

A step drill, similar to the 3/16" to 1/2" number shown here http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p11091/Halls_XS308_High_Speed_Steel_Step_Drill_3/16_To_1/2in/product_info.html was used for the resize.

Will pick that up tomorrow and cross it off the list of things that need doing before the Sportsman can be reassembled.

Happy days!  Grin
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:55:19 PM by AusF233 » Logged
slowpoke
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 10:34:50 PM »

Good news, and satisfying for all.
Those step drills are very handy, I have two (different sizes) and I am forever using them for the most unusual purposes.
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »

I still can't get over the fact that you picked it in one Ken. It's a credit to you!

Too buggered to do any more real work, so I thought I'd post here instead  Grin

Let's start with the upside down water pump. I refer to it as this because the screws that need to be removed to access the impeller are on the underside of the pump housing. Lack of fore-thought in the design department!

Pump housing cleaned outside and in. The inner sides were coated with burnt rubber from the original impeller. Clear evidence it had run dry.

Dry fit of the new impellrr. It fits perfectly.

Re-soldered the pic up tube to the lower pump housing. This is to eliminate air being sucked through and to maximise pump performance.

Played around (bending, resizing etc) with the pick up tube to insure pump housing would drop in to position without too much mucking about ie as preparation for final fit-up.

The completed assembly. Dry fit only at this stage.

[

Made the necessary repairs to the back-plate of the recoil starter. The solution was to tig weld a 'dowel pin' into the plate. This would then drop in to a hole drilled into the underside of ther upper cowl, preventing the back plate from spinning under spring tension. End result, recoil starter is once again operational.

Finished off by removing the last of the seized bolts and screws. Hopefully the weather will be better next week and we can get the primer on.

Thanks again for your support thus far

Regards,

notav8

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »

Looking Great Mate Grin
Keep it up.
Whats happening with the Jono.?
Cheers
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 01:49:48 PM »

Thanks mate,

The Johnno was pushed to the side when the opportunity to rebuild this Sportsman same time as CI was rebuilding his presented itself.

I'm sure I'll find the motivation to get back on to that one soon.

Regards,
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »

Hi AusF233
Please show us your recent acquisition which was previously used by David Toyer when he was a small boy. For those who don't know, David is possibly the best (all rounder) boat racer in Australia.

MERCMAN. 

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 11:51:15 AM »

Hi AusF233
Please show us your recent acquisition which was previously used by David Toyer when he was a small boy. For those who don't know, David is possibly the best (all rounder) boat racer in Australia.

MERCMAN. 

G'day MERCMAN,

Not sure that I follow to be honest with you. Are you by chance referring to the Riptide Fisherman and Oldie from OzBoatRacers or something I've said earlier in this thread?

Regards,
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 05:56:29 PM »

Yes indeed, Oldie is "the" one and only David Toyer!

MERCMAN.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: