logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2018, 02:51:08 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Riptide Sportsman  (Read 22864 times)
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:54 AM »

I picked this one up over the weekend after locating it by chance week prior ie during a trip to regional Victoria to pick up a few other outboards.

History behind it is not very clear. All I know at this stage is that it was (possibly) a one owner outboard until it was shipped down from Queensland and stored in a shed on a large rural property ever since.

All original from what I can tell, including the Salmon/Gold paint. External finish is faded, engine and edges of the upper and lower cowl sections reveal the actual color. Lots of rust and corrosion under the paint, and flaking paint in a number of areas indicating salt water use and perhaps a lack of general maintenance.  All will need to be redone.

Turns over very nicely and has good compression. Not quite sure about the ignition system and coil/s I have not had a chance to remove the flywheel to inspect and test them as yet.

Gear and throttle levers operate as they should albeit a little on the tight side due to the build up of grease and dirt over the years. Throttle knob is broken. Would have preferred this was not the case but will have two new ones spun up on a friends lathe.

A few holes in the upper and lower cowls (visible in the above pic) drilled by the previous owner, one being for a key operated kill switch, the others unknown. These will need to be welded/filled.

Overall not in too bad shape.

I am real excited about this find and am looking forward to getting stuck in once I clear a few other unfinished projects.

Regards,
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:00:50 PM »

What a great find indeed. The owner of this forum "Chair" had his Riptide stolen about two years ago... never to be seen again. I bet he will love to see yours.

Chair may be able to assist you with their original colour. I don't know anything about Riptides. However, I think the manufacturer even copied the colour of the Mercs of the day. That is: "Cloud White" a very similar to Fords colour known as "Wimbledon White" (a yankie colour). I believe you can have this colour made up in a spray can, here in Australia.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »

G'day MERCMAN,

I became aware of Chairs loss through these forums and made doubley sure the one I purchased was not Chairs ie before handing over the cash.

Am chuffed to get this actually. Riptides of all models have eluded me thus far,

Started the tear down today and was pleased not to have to apply heat to any nuts/bolts. Tested the secondaries on the coils and they seem to be OK (approx 3.9kOhn on each), cleaned up several bolt on parts, removed the propshaft housing, clear of any water ingress and gears look good as new. Had a go at removing the powerhead and gearbox housing from the mid section. Unfortunately that's where my run of luck ended ie with all bplts etc removed both still stuck fast. Will have another look at the weekend.

Didn't know at the time, but a nice BIG redback came free with the purchase. It had taken up residence inside the exhaust outlet. Thankfully I spied it, before it spied me.

Regards
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 06:17:13 AM »

Through webcam the eight legged one is suggesting a new colour scheme  Wink

Neil

Hard a' starboard
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »

On the cards for the Riptide

Change of colour scheme of the redback already actioned  Wink
notav8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »

Good on you for finding a Sportsman. There doesn't seem to be many around. In regard to the holes drilled in the Housings, I think I have seen another Riptide, with holes in the same place. Maybe they are supposed to be there ?
I don't know how many were made in that Gold Colour, but I think it looks good. Maybe its an early one, as the others I have seen have been either Black, or White.
Good Luck with the Resto.
Cheers
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 08:33:38 PM »

G'day Notav8, fancy running in to you here lol

According to CI, the first 2 digits of the serial number (60 8020) represent the year, making this a 60 model, one of the last. He's yet to come back to me on the other 4 digits, and once he has I will post the detail here. In the meantime if you have any ideas or any other information you can share, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also be interested to see pics of the riptide/s you mentioned with the holes in the upper and lower cowls, if you can recall where you saw them. Unfotunately I've not been able to find many pics on the net, and those that I have found show no holes.

Thanks & regards
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 05:30:20 PM »

Salt Water outboards ...... grrrrrrrr. Not sure if I got the better of it, or if it got the better of me today.

Anyway, bunch of progress shots below, some of which might explain the above statement.

Serial Number. Much easier to see/read with paint removed.

First application of paint stripper seems to reveal the colour that may have been? I've moved to a REPCO spray on  paint stripper. Very heavy duty and less mess to clean up afterwards. Around $15 per can. One can is usually (not always) enough for 1 outboard.

Upper shift shaft removed. Very rusty. Has to lock two nuts at upper end to free connection below. Sorry for the bad pic.

Removing the pins that secure the mid-section (trunk) to the transom bracket. Not possible to remove gearbox without removing the upper shift shaft and doing this.

Bracket removed revealing yet another colour that may have been.

Removing the gearbox housing. Begin by removing the lower shift shaft. The threaded rod is simply an extension piece and screws into the shift shaft within the gearbox.

Problem. Could not remove the rectangular block from threaded rod due to heavy rusting.
Solution. Unscrewed the whole lot thereby removing the the threaded rod and inner shift shaft in one piece. Not ideal but it worked.

Gearbox still won't budge however ie due to shaft being frozen to receiving end on engine. No option but to use a crow bar. Best place between unerside of lower cowl on top side of mid-section.

Forgetting to grease the shaft receiver during first build (54 years ago) doesn't help. This will require some work to tidy up.

All very backwards, but we have separation at last.

The two rusty nuts seen here need to be removed to free engine from lower cowl.

So we have three colours here (all affected by heat, salt and UV) plus that revealed by the paint stripped. What's the original supposed to look like?

Remove grease from gearbox. This stuff smelled so bad, I almost threw up twice! The stuff you see on the gears is just dirt etc. All gears are in great condition.

Water still frozen solid within gearbox housing and below that the remnants of what the redback had been eating over the months/years it resides inside the exhaust chamber.

Ran out of stripper, so will defer remainder of that task until tomorrow. Wasn't quite the easy day I was expecting, buts it's all apart now so the hard work (in this particular case) has been done.

Earlier in the week i managed to clean up some of the bolt on bits. Still a way to go before the rest is up to similar standard and ready for reassembly.

More soon.

Regards,
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:32:39 PM by AusF233 » Logged
notav8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 07:15:23 PM »

Looking Great. Its obvious to me that people who live in Victoria , have much more time to play with Vintage Outboards, than people who live in New South Wales. Grin
At least it all came apart, and it looks like No Broken Bolts, so that is a bonus. Shocked
Good Work,
Cheers
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »

Looking Great. Its obvious to me that people who live in Victoria , have much more time to play with Vintage Outboards, than people who live in New South Wales. Grin

Not quite right mate. We just work harder and achieve a whole lot more in the limited time we have available.  Wink Grin Grin Grin
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »

Progressing a little slower than expected, but coming along none the less.

Focus of the last week has been to remove the old paint, and in the main we've succeeded in doing that. Following are a few pics of the main components. Still some paint difficult areas to be removed, as well as remains of gaskets etc etc.

Engine. Due to difficulties experienced with the gaskets (separation of parts and gasket removal an absolute pain in the butt), I've decided to leave the engine intact. It turns over nicely and makes no strange noises, so I'm reasonably confident the decision to not separate is best under the circumstances.

Upper and lower cowls. Darker spots are where corrosion had set in under the paint, and will require some further treatment.

Trunk - Drive/exhaust tube.

Gearbox

Transom bracket assembly. Having a hard time separating the parts but hope to have that sorted on the next day or so.

As mentioned previously, carb appears to be an AMAL copy, but is labelled SKC

Not sure which way to head with the water pump at the moment. It's frozen solid inside the gearbox housing and simply won't budge. This outboard will probably not see water after it's done, so if I cant find an easy way to free it up, it'll just stay there. Nice bronze housing!

Some may recall I previously mentioned the recoil starter was inoperative. The issue with that is now clear and I'll be able to sort without too much difficulty.

to summarise, I still have to sort the transom assembly, remove left over paint and gasket material and produce new gasket before the etch primer goes on.

As for the decals, there was not a heck of a lot left to photograph for reproduction later on. I have however been able to create an outline from gum marks that remained on the cowl, well after the decals had gone. This should be sufficient for me to work with. The final product will not be exactly the same as the original but will be close enough.

More soon.

Regards,
notav8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 08:00:20 PM »

Looking Good.!!
Have you decided what Colour the finished product will be ??
Am I correct in thinking that they were all painted White, and then repainted different colours to suit Customers Requirements ?
Im sure it will look Stunning, no mater which colour you choose. Grin
Cheers
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 08:16:06 PM »

Looking Good.!!
Have you decided what Colour the finished product will be ??

Hello Notav8,

Still undecided on the finish color. I'd like to stick with Gold however as you will see from the pics I've posted so far, it's hard to tell which Gold was closest to the original.

Am I correct in thinking that they were all painted White, and then repainted different colours to suit Customers Requirements ?

Not sure. This one had white lower cowl, white engine, yellow upper cowl (same as that shown in the brochure image) under the Gold. Drive/exhaust tube, transom assembly and gearbox were Gold over primer. So there are two possibilities.

1. Repaint to customer order
2. Wescott Hazel changed color schemes (Gold being one) after purchasing the business (and stocks) from the Sheltrum family during 1959

If the 60 component of the serial number on mine represents year of manufacture, then it is likely built by Wescott Hazel.

More homework needed aye!

Summary of the last few days

Saturday - Busy time of the year for me. Parents are of different religion so we get to celebrate Easter twice, this year one week apart. All good however time to play with the outboards is affected and with daylight savings now over, mucking around during the evenings is not practical (unpowered shed).

Did manage to find several free hours, most of which was spent separating and fixing the transom assembly. Lots of hours, lots of heat and tested patience! Anyway I now have steering and tilt, but have done some damage to the tilt bolt which may or may not be fixable. Time will tell.

Using a dremel tool and various attachments, I also managed to remove all the remaining paint from those difficult to get at areas. Most parts are now ready to be primed, however I want to have another crack at removing the water pump before I get stuck into that.

Sunday Family day, no time to play with my toys  Sad

Monday - Decided a day of light duties was in order. Started the day by taking a bunch of measurements for Collector Inspector who is also rebuilding a Sportsman at the moment), and hope that some of those may give some clues as to the increased hp of his unit.

Spent a good part of the day on the wire wheel removing rust from all the hardware and linkages. Taps run through all the nuts and dies over all the bolts and shift linkages to ensure an easy re-assembly ie when the time comes. All nuts, bolts, washers, screws etc now soaking in a jar of WD40 waiting to be used again.

Spent a bit of time straightening the tilt bolt and correcting the threads and am more than happy with the outcome there.

I then moved on to cleaning up some of the remaining parts including the recoils starter. This basically sits in the underside of the upper cowl with a backing plate between the two. The backing plate has 2 small pieces of folded metal. The one off the center hole holds the backing plate in to position again the cowl (this piece had previously broken away) and the other (folded at 180 degrees) secures the recoil spring. With the backing plate free to spin, there is no recoil affect, hence I need to do a small repair here to make things function correctly again.

Finished off the day with removing the emulsified oil from the prop shaft housing and main bearing.

Hope to pick up same manifold gasket material during the week, as this is what was used between the engine and lower cowl and again between the lower cowl and drive/exhaust tube.

Next week is Greek Easter so it will be full on with family gatherings etc. If I find some spare time, I'll clean up the ignition system and make a start on the stainless mid-cowl.

Then it's primer, topcoat and reassembly with some time (weeks) in between of course.

Regards,

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 04:20:15 PM »

All I can say is amazing.
Mine was a fresh water job and would have been a simple resto.
Re the colour, my father purchased a Sportsman new and it had a cream lower leg and the upper was YELLOW.
Stock from the supplier.
Riptide used the same yellow on the tank of the smaller model.
Keep up the good work, but it's a shame it won't ever get used. I always wanted to hear mine running, but as you are aware it was stolen a couple of years back
BTW there is another one in amazing condition somewhere near Seaford and one of our members Guy Hanson has the details of the owner. I missed it on EBay while I was away from my computer. It'd be interesting to contact that guy.
I may be able to help you with the original decal design
Chair (David)
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 09:07:20 PM »

Greek Easter weekend so the plan was to take it easy, but as you would expect things don't always go to plan.

Found myself in the garage around 9:00am and playing outboards soon thereafter. Progressed my Anzani Pilot a little further and continued to clean up Riptide parts in anticipation of applying primer next week.

Also spent a couple hours working on the middle cowl section, the stainless requiring a bit of elbow grease and the front plate having to be reworked completely due to build up of salt and corrosion. Anyway, both came up reasonably well albeit still needing some work before they are fully completed.

Easter eggs awaiting, gotta run  Cool

Regards,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: