logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 05:57:46 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gold Cheetah  (Read 7614 times)
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2014, 06:01:29 PM »

Over the past few weeks I've been restoring an Australian made Gold Cheetah outboard.

The Gold Cheetah was produced by Boundy Manufacturing Co. Pty. Ltd. Springvale Victoria from approx 1954 through to 1960. Boundy also manufactured the Lawn Cub, Lawn Scout and Lawn Patrol mowers which have in themselves become collectors items.

All above-mentioned shared the same 3.6hp engine, which was quite unique. The engine did not have a traditional style magneto/flywheel, rather it had magnets attached to the crank which passed adjacent to an ignition box comprising coil, points, condensor and points mounted on the front of the crank case. The ignition covers were made of a plastic or bakelite material and were easily broken. Finding replacements almost 60 years on is proving difficult.

Through early advertising it becomes evident Gold Cheetah was the name given to the Boundy engine. In more recent years the engine became known as the BMS Series, and the Gold cheetah name applied to the outboard only.

Not quite finished yet, but advanced well enough to post pics here. Just need to sort the fuel line, throttle cable and repair the ignition cover before it's complete and ready to run.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Regards,
AusF233

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:18:58 AM »

Very interesting information about Australian outboards.

First class job again .

How did you get all the gold effects ? What are parts coated with and what original metal ?

Neil

Hard a' starboard
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 10:54:15 AM »

Hello Neil,

Items that are ĎGoldí in colour are brass components that have simply been given a good clean up and finished with a light polish.

The engine, transom brackets, swivel bracket, gearbox and prop (aluminium components) were stripped of the original paint and finished in VHT Cast Aluminium (Brake Calliper paint). Note: Tiller yet to be done as I had run out of paint.

The recoil starter (also aluminium) appeared to have never been painted ex-factory. It had some black overspray around its sides indicating the cowl had been repainted whilst still fitted at some stage. All I did there was remove overspray and corrosion and finish with a soft wire brush as best as possible. Its much better than before but far from perfect.

The cowl and tank are constructed from mild steel and although previously painted, had a lot of surface rust. I removed the paint and rust and applied a rust converter. I then finished off with 3 coats of VHT Wrinkle black.

The drive and exhaust tubes are chrome plated brass. Metal polish and fine grade steel wool were used to bring back the shine. The chrome is not in the best condition with the brass showing through in places.

The ignition cover is unpainted.

Almost all Gold Cheetah outboards Iíve seen in the past had been painted ex-factory, and what Iíve tried to do with this one is to maintain the original colours as much as is possible without knowing the original paint spec.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »

Hi AusF233 ,
May we have an explanation of ' that' along with your first name  Smiley

Much appreciated and well described information. Many members should be able to glean something .
Are the paints easily available ?
Apart from my outboards I have twelve Australian inboard 2 and 4 stroke motors (putt putts).
Mostly cosmetically finished and don't work but look wonderful  Wink

My basic cleaner for brass, copper and bronze is hydrochloric acid (pool type) .

Regards

Neil

Hard a' starboard
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »

G'day Neil, the paints mentioned below are high temperature and are readily available from most speed shops. I get mine from Autobarn just cause their nearby to where I live.

AusF233 is a name I use on few boating and fishing sites. The Formula 233 (F233) is one of my all time favorite boats and although originally designed and built in the US, I believe the Aussie version built by Haines Hunter back in the day was a superior boat in many respects.

Only been playing with vintage outboards a short time. I enjoy the hunt, research and doing the restos.

That'll do for now Smiley

Regards
Spiro

slowpoke
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:59:12 PM »

G'day AusF233,
Some good info in your last posts and you have done a wonderful job on that motor.  It looks superb!
I looked up Formula 233 and what a boat!  Very deep-V and must be an excellent blue-water boat.
Thanks for passing on your knowledge.
Ken.
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »

Thanks Ken,

As you would expect, the more you look over something, the more you find to do. As an example, from the pic below you can see that the exhaust tube is not sitting correctly over the upper exhaust manifold. This would imply that the exhaust tube is too short (unlikely) or the cav plate on the gearbox has been bent downward (more likely), so I'll have to sort that out and hopefully without having to repaint the gearbox.

Turns out the ignition requires a little more work than initially anticipated, and there's a good chance the tiller is not correct to this particular year/model Gold Cheetah.

Yes, the F233 is an awesome boat. Designed by Jim Wynne and Walt Waters on behalf of Don Aronow (owner of Formula, Donzi, Cigarette, US Racing etc etc) back in the early '60's, it is still being produced by a number of companies around the world today.

Regards,
Spiro

darrcoll
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »

http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=403.0
is this one of tthis foormula boats you speak of.  I helped restore this one and there used to be one just on the east side of the glsdesville bridge.
Doing sea trials in us navy (the boat) these boats go like the perverbial bat outta hell and turn on a dime "at speed"

Darrcoll    Don't tell me about BOATS
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:52:28 AM »

Yep, that's certainly a Formula 233. Back in the very early days, HH used the original molds (or copies thereof). In the following years however they made several subtle yet significant changes.

As there seems to be some interest in the 233, I may start up another thread in the appropriate section. I have a heap of information including US and Australian racing history (including photos to share. Alternatively, I am happy to post links to other sites where I have posted on the subject.

US Navy is a very cool boat by the way  Wink
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 05:00:26 PM »

Picked up another Gold Cheetah hence the post here.

Complete, original and owned by the one family from new. Best of all, it was only 7 minutes away from my place.

Very similar to the one discussed in this thread, with a few subtle improvements thus confirming (in my mind anyway) that Boundy and his team continued to update and improve theengine through to the very end.

What she looks like.

Improvements with the aid of pics.

1. Barrel & head: Modified cooling fins on barrel and new head design, presumably to minimise restriction to air flow and improve engine cooling. This pic attempts to show the free space between the upper cooling fins and underside of the cowl. If the fins were left circular in shape, the restriction would result in reduced air flow over over the barrel and near enough to none over the head.

2. Magnetic assembly: End piece constructed from laminations. On earlier models, this was a single piece of steel/iron. Improvements also to the holding clips. New design eliminates possibility of the end piece moving from side to side and becoming dislodged.

3. Throttle cable: Right angle throttle cable guide added to carb, not seen on earlier models. I guess this improves throttle response and extends throttle cable life.

4. Tiller: Gold Cheetah name forms part of the tiller casting. Throttle rotated 90 degrees presumably for better ergonomics? Through bolt mounting ensures throttle remains where it's supposed to.

5. Branding: Seen only once before in advertising but never on a finished outboard, original or restored. There are 2 such decals, one on the forward side and one on the rear side of the tank.

Was hoping not to have to restore this one, but there's so much rust and corrosion I doubt it would last another 5 years if I don't.

Progress pics to follow.

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 09:52:38 AM »

So I made the decision to restore and have progressed that as far as possible considering family commitments and hot/windy weather.

The following pics give some clue as to how she's coming along so far. Colors are close enough to the original but not exactly the same. Not so easy trying to match old/faded paint especially when limited to pressure packs.

Some pics.

Before I proceed to repaint the cowl and tank, I want to have the original decals reproduced. And with the recoil starter, I'm undecided at this stage if I should leave the entire thing painted red, or to remove the paint from the raised lettering and cheetah image ie before clear coating the whole lot. We'll see when the time comes.

Regards,
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 02:52:48 PM »

My goodness, what an outstanding result in what appears to be a few short days.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »

Thanks MERCMAN,

It was a hectic 3 days. Day 1 strip and prepare, day 2 paint, day 3 reassemble. In between bore was honed, piston decarbonised, rings checks and refitted, fuel bowl stripped and cleaned etc etc.

Head and ignition cover have also been reworked and are now back on, but still no progress on the tank and cowl.

Am doing the artwork for the replacement decals. They won't be identical to the originals but should be close enough.

More pics in due course.

Regards,

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 08:20:40 PM »

Been back at work with little time to play however the Cheetah is now approaching completion with only a short bit of fuel hose and decals left to go.

Here's some pics to wet the appetite. Hope to get a few more in better light tomorrow.

Drew this up on MS Powerpoint and have exported it as an image file waiting to print. It's not exactly the same as the original but close enough.

If i was asked the question a few months back, "would you ever paint an outboard red", I would have responded with absolutely not. I guess I'm now one of the converted.

Regards

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »

The second Gold Cheetah is finally finished and I'm pretty happy with the way it's come up.

Here's the last round pics to finish off the thread.

The decals took a long time to recreate and print, but well worth the effort in the end. Will certainly be doing same for all future restos.

Regards,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: