logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:01:09 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AA's Hartley Flareline  (Read 3230 times)
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2017, 03:55:33 PM »

A the best way to epoxy the keel is to invert the boat  Grin

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 10:02:46 PM »

Yes, Neil, I realise this. Too hard to do

Boat painting  needs to be "resolved" on the trailer, so might end up painting on some dilute epoxy whilst on trailer, then "bogging" it up, sanding it back as best as I can do and painting, or just " dealing with" the deficiencies until non boating weather, and thinking about it then.

Have thought about painting her on the trailer, but something of a PITA, as the mudguards on the wheels prevent the boat tipping more that 1" to each side, thereby limiting access to the bottom of the hull.

I'm keen to get out on the water, even if paint ain't where I want it to be.

PS mentally toying  with the idea of replacing the 'rude with a modern engine, but would I be evicted from the forum?

A

Where are all the Hartley boats?
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:47 AM »

Invert , I was jokin!

Can you move the boat on the trailer and do sections at a time where accessible ?

As to a modern motor - well yes and no ,well No!

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 08:06:35 PM »

Ahhh. Missed that, Neil. Oops.

I can probably fiddle with the skids etc when painting it, and spend some time lying on my back in the ground, splattering paint on my face.

Will hopefully get out with this weekend, now that I've established that outboards need air to work, and then decide I don't want a new motor.

BTW, in terms of basic engine functions,  when the throttle is moved forward, and the air intake to the engine is consequentially increased, what is it that increases the rpm?

A

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 07:44:59 AM »

As a non mechanic I think increased air is mixed with increased fuel in the carby resulting in a bigger bang making the piston go quicker and incrementally up go the revs .
Neil

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 06:47:21 PM »

Makes sense - also explains why no revs when carby intake flaps were closed last weekend! Hopefully the new coat hanger wire connection allows a better boating experience tomorrow. Now, where do I find an original version of what was connecting the flaps at each end of the carburettors, coz I'm not sure coat hanger wire is going to last so well.....?

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2017, 10:03:30 PM »

Got out on PPB today - beautiful boating day. Motor ran slightly better than last weekend, but still no “full throttle” - probably managed displacement hull speed at best, and then motor eventually conked out, and we had to ask for a tow in, which was v undignified.

Now going to chuck it to Mark S to resolve, as I just don’t have the skills. Irritatingly, from previous use, I know the motor can run really well, and, whilst I am toying with replacing it with a new one, I really would prefer to keep the old donk on the boat, as the era matches.

I’ll see what Mark can do...just need to deal with a 1.5 hr drive to him, and another 1.5hr drive home from there...

A

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »

Dumped the boat outside Mark's joint thus arvo for a few weeks of "rehabilitation" . Korumburra must be a decent place, as no one nicked my  boat in the few hours it was outside his place, but I suppose this may also reflect negatively on my boat....

A

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2017, 08:24:27 AM »

Makes sense - also explains why no revs when carby intake flaps were closed last weekend! Hopefully the new coat hanger wire connection allows a better boating experience tomorrow. Now, where do I find an original version of what was connecting the flaps at each end of the carburettors, coz I'm not sure coat hanger wire is going to last so well.....?

The choke flaps aren't absolutely necessary. It will probably run a whole lot better if they were removed entirely. However, cold starts will be a little tricky on a V4 'rude . Products like CRC's Aerostart will easily sort that issue out.

In the mid 70's I bought a new 351 Ford V8 Panel Van.. That motor was far happier with the choke flaps removed. Cold starts were very acceptable even with out the use of the anaesthetic gas - Either.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll dig up a replacement choke linkage rod for you.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »

Didn't realise those flaps made little difference. The thing I did notice when fiddling with my engine was that neither the ?engine manifold flap, not the choke flaps open up anywhere near fully when the throttle is moved forward. No doubt Mark will have great joy in informing me that I've installed the carburettors upside down, or some similar major bit of stupidity on my part.

A

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »

My rig still residing at Korumburra with Mark S...

Lower carbies seem to have minimal fuel coming into them - that was the one daughter #2's ex BF had for a few months, and which I got back a week before they broke up.  Maybe he screwed me over too?!

I seem to have indirectly completely buggered the gear box when I replaced the prop a while ago.....I recall that it was difficult to get the prop nut to attach, as the shaft seemed a bit short, so there was a " washer" behind the prob that got removed. Sadly, this seems to be the thing that stops the prop wearing into the gearbox....which is why gearbox is rooted, but he seems to have found a replacement.

Hopefully up and running soon. I'm very grateful to Mark for taking on the project, and, whilst no doubt frustrating to have to work on an old motor like this, at the end of the day, I'm happy to pay.

I think I'll just stick to Medicine....and minor motor repairs! It does irritate me that I can get my head around how a human works, but not a 2 stroke engine. Seems incongruous!

A

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2017, 07:40:35 AM »

G'day Andrew, That's very sad that your Thrust Washer wasn't included, during the re-installation of your prop.

As for the fuel flow, my guess would be to investigate the integrity of the lines. Mark will no doubt check cholesterol levels and the inside diameter of the arteries feeding the carbies. No bulk billing with Mark either. 

Mark's a good man, I'm very sure he'll persist with the old girl....and your outboard.

MERCMAN.

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2017, 01:03:14 PM »

Regarding the dexterity of Australian doctors please see below !

* joke.jpg (1882.68 KB, 2838x1371 - viewed 14 times.)

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »

Yes, Guy, sad that I failed to install the thrust washer, however it took a few years for the prop to wear through the the gear box!

Re Bulk billing - you get what you pay for. Which is why I wanted to pay Daughter #2's  ex BF - but he refused. Prob why carbie doesn't work! Had email from Mark saying he's almost done, but wants to make sure it works before I pick it up(!!). I'd quite like him to do that! No idea what it's going to cost, but I'm happy that it's being repaired by someone who has a lot more idea than I. Memo to you guys - don't try DIY medicine!

A

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2017, 06:48:46 AM »

As for: ex BF, the poor guy probably had never see a carbie before, let alone work on one.. or two.

As for: DIY Medicine. That's what almost every house wife uses google for, isn't it? As everyone knows, Men don't need doctors!

MERCMAN.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: