logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:04:21 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AA's Hartley Flareline  (Read 3231 times)
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »

Some piccies from last weekend, boating on the Murray at Tocumwal.

Lots of cruising up and down the river, and dragging kids on biscuit behind - used about 90l of fuel.

A

* Hartley at Tocumwal Nov 2014.JPG (80.2 KB, 720x540 - viewed 232 times.)

* Hartley at Tocumwal 2.JPG (187.93 KB, 864x576 - viewed 262 times.)

Where are all the Hartley boats?
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:38:42 AM »

Great pics Andrew, thanks for posting those.
I just had a look at Google maps and Google Earth to see where Tocumwal is. Welcome to NSW old mateI It looks to be a pretty good spot for boating and enjoying the River with your family. Lots of beaut beaches too, and not too far from home.
Have you sorted your choke operation as yet?

By the way, 90ltrs of fuel is absolutely nothing, compared to the price of a brand new fuel effecient outboard with similar performance to yours. You would be out of pocket by at least $18k including installation I reckon.

(I'd far rather pay for the EXTRA 50ltrs of juice you would use and then spend the difference on booze, fast cars and cheap women, then waste what's left!)

MERCMAN.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:55:35 AM by MERCMAN » Logged

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 01:03:57 PM »

Thanks. Yes the Mexicans did cross the border! It is a lovely destination for boating/ boat camping etc. Plenty of nice beaches once you get about 15km downstream from Toc on a holiday weekend, and probably very nice closer to Toc at any other time.

No, haven't sorted choke yet....and still have t worked out how to use FaceTime! Have been busy in garden.

A

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 07:17:54 PM »

Just for something to do, I decided to go outside and crank up the Starflite and see whether it worked, as she hasn't been started for 6 months. Battery was lacking cranking power, so a few hours on the charger, and then half a dozen "crank overs" ( still having issues remembering that the choke gets pushed up, not in!), and she started up nicely, blew some smoke out into the backyard, and hopefully blew the cobwebs out of the various places, and the wasp nests out of the cooling system.

Hoping to get out soon on Port Phillip Bay with a mate to do some fly fishing for Australian salmon, given that the fly fishing for trout down here in "Mexico" is lousy.

Pleased that the old girl still works. Now need to check the trailer bearings, and the winch that I use to get her in and out of our backyard.

A

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 07:50:37 AM »

Always a pleasant surprise when they fire up nicely  Smiley

Fly fishing for Australian salmon must be fun as they are big (compared to freshwater) and give a good fight. Pity they don't eat well .

You may be in the water before SX 2  Cheesy

Neil

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:09:42 PM »

Yes, Neil, I will be in the water this weekend - all set to go, weather and bay forecast fine, batteries being charged etc. And, yes, it is a pleasant surprise when they fire up! Mine fortunately is reasonably consistent ( now that I've sorted out how to use the choke).

Sadly Australian salmon in PPB often aren't that big - maybe 12-16". It'd just be nice to catch something. The western Australian ones are bigger. It'll just be nice to get out and about and catch a fish.

Unfortunately there are a whole lot of things that can go wrong boating, and I actually find the whole process of getting the boat out from our back garden and into the water, and back again at the end of the day quite (?very) stressful, without having to deal with "issues" that may occur during the trip. I'm hoping that this is just due to lack of use of boat - the more I use it and realise that the "system" works, the more relaxed I'll be. But, I'll be happy to be out on the water on Saturday.....

A

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 08:01:10 PM »

Managed a day out on Port Phillip Bay today, but had some "issues" like Aaron's, in that motor started well, but more often than not wouldn't increase in revs easily, and when it did, it would get to a point where it sometimes "popped" and cut out, unless I reduced the throttle, in which case it idled nicely again. It was like it was only firing on 1 or 2 cylinders. After about 5 minutes of stuffing around like this, I would throttle her up in neutral, and eventually all the pots seemed to kick in, and then we'd run with no problems until the next time I needed to start her up, so it wasn't as though the engine was cold. This happened every time I started her, except the first, when there wasn't an issue! Fuel was new. I'll replace the plugs when the new ones come in next week ($22 for 4 from Repco), and keep my fingers crossed.

Regardless, we had fun, covered quite a few km, and caught 6 keepable flathead, so it wasn't a waste of time. Biggest issue was the northerly that came up early afternoon, making the run up PPB very choppy ( as in white caps and 3-4'  waves), and im not brave enough to crank up the speed on the Hartley to bounce off these waves, in case she falls to bits!

A

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »

Guess the wind put an end to fly fishing .
With waves like that I'd rather be in your waiting room  Cheesy

Neil

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »

12 month beach house rental now sorted - boat now down at Sorrento.

New steering and helm have now been installed. Bow rail added. Wiring being "cleaned up". Need to work on some painting, but much more use likely to occur over summer. Will post photos as appropriate.

Still need to resolve replacement throttle cable. Will measure and deal with this soon.

A

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 08:07:57 AM »

I have some OMC cables in stock. Let me know what length you require and I'll have a fossick through to see what I can help you with.

Sorrento eh? MERCMUM and I, plus a whole bunch of friends stayed in Portsea for 3 nights during March this year. The beers were $9 each at the Portsea Pub!

The real Sorrento in Italy was far better, including the shopping!

MERCMAN.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »

Thanks Guy. I'll have a look this weekend, and take some photos/measurements. Do I need to photograph both ends, or is the engine end always the same?

As to beer - yep, if you wish to buy it in the pub at Portsea, it will be $9. I only drink at home, in which case the cost of beer doesn't change much!

V excited about opportunities to get out in the boat over next few months. Just hope there isn't too much "troubleshooting" of problems to slow things down (and that carbie rebuild from late last year makes everything work even better).

A

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »

To my knowledge, older OMC cables are all the same except for length. Please correct me if I'm wrong Mark or Oldenrude.

I couldn't have a beer at home, as it was 918 kms from where I was!

MERCMAN.

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »

'Torna a Sorrento ' You all know it !
'Come back to Sorrento '

My 375 ml beer costs $1.50.
Glad to see it is all coming together A .

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 07:43:55 PM »

It's "coming together" in terms of boat getting some use again, but I look at Neil's photos, and would just love to present her in a similar way - it obviously won't happen!

I've got dings in the sides and keel/ missing paint/flaking paint/mismatched paint/unfilled screw holes/household electrical switches/ a tangle of wiring, which all works, but needs to be shortened and put in a conduit/a Perspex windscreen that is foggy and scratched, and sits loosely on the top of the cabin.....all of which irk me, a lot.

But, I've got a usable boat, so, I'm just going to have to accept the defects at the moment. If you recall, she cost me $600, and the motor was free, so I've had ? 8/9 years use for bugger all, and there's a bit of reverse snobbery with having a crappy boat where all my weathly  patients have "perfect" boats!

But, one day, I'd like to have a well presented 1970 ish boat and motor.

A

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »

You're right A .The perfect boats sit there and are generally unloved .Trophies ?

I know you are not to  irked as you have a practical boat that is used.

Like the reverse snobbery comment . I find it very important personally .

Love my SX2 but very few see her , I am inhibited .

Hard a' starboard
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: