logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2018, 09:08:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Australian Hurricane Outboard  (Read 6724 times)
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2014, 06:18:52 PM »

As promised in the ĎChapman Outboardsí thread, hereís the story behind my Australian Hurricane. Itís number 7 in my collection of old outboards and right up there with my Australian Seasprite as one of my very favourites.

I purchased it a little while back in an incomplete and modified state from its previous owner. Australian Hurricane Outboards are rare find at the best of times, so how could I possibly pass one up that was factory built with a model 200 engine. For those who are not aware Hurricane produced a variety of engines, the most common being their 125cc. They also built a 180 and a 185A both of which comprised a one piece cylinder and head, the 180 constructed from cast iron, the 185A from aluminium with a liner. The model 200 is the lesser known of the Hurricane engines, and is essentially a water-cooled version of the 185A. By comparison to the 125cc, these engines were produced in very limited numbers and are therefore extremely difficult to find.

Anyway, we agreed on a price, I got it home, plonked it on a stand and there it stayed whilst I started to do some research via the internet and friends. Albeit limited, the two best sources of information proved to be board.net.au and vintagemowers.net. At least Hurricane was mentioned on both, with comment from a very helpful Mr. Eric Schulz. Thanks to Eric, not only was I able to identify the engine, but many of itís missing parts thereby assisting my search for them.

So here's a few pics of how it arrived. You can clearly see it was (and still is) missing a fuel tank and all the original components from the flywheel up including the recoil starter. At the bottom end, you can see a gearbox from another outboard had been 'grafted' on to the leg by the previous owner. Sourcing original equipment isnít going to be easy, but it's all on the list and will happen sooner or later.

Although itís not all there, I thought Iíd make a start and go as far as I could with the restoration. I tend to do a lot of my initial parts cleaning prior to tear down and take a bunch of pics along the way. This assists with parts identification and re-assembly down the track.

A few more pics with engine removed from trunk. All it has seen at this stage is a degrease and low pressure wash followed up by a wire brush to the crankcase and cylinder/head surfaces, and a light (first pass) polish of the brass fittings.

On separating the crank case and cylinder, it becomes clear this thing has had very limited use. Not a lot of carbon build-up on the piston. Cylinder lining and rings appear as new.

Crank case and cylinder mating surfaces given a bit of a clean-up, piston given a good soak and wipe down. Thereís absolutely no slack in the big or little end of the con rod and I am very pleased with what Iím seeing so far.

Re-painted the cylinder/head, flywheel and base plate and packed until next time. I like to use plastic or styrene boxes where possible as there are no openings for small components to escape and store parts (eg stripped down carb) together in smaller plastic bags. This prevents anything from getting lost, and when I'm ready to work on any given parts, it's pretty much all there in one bag.

More recently work commenced on a many of the smaller parts (carb, ignition system etc) and weíre now heading towards re-assembly.

Lots has also been done to the trunk, and thanks to a great friend with much more patience than myself, the two seized bolts on the transom bracket have been freed up, allowing me to continue working on those.

In the meantime, Iíve also been able to find some information on the gearbox the previous owner had grafted to the Hurricane. This appears to be a Ďgenericí unit, used by Elgin, Scott Attwater, McCulluch and several other outboard manufacturers in the US from the late 40ís through to approximately the mid 60ís.

I will restore that also and create a new intermediate/exhaust plate so that it works better on the Hurricane until an original gearbox can be located.

More next time.

PS: If anyone here knows of an old/dead Hurricane mower that the owner is happy to part with, please donít hesitate to let me know.

Regards,
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 08:22:26 PM »

Thought I'd provide an update.

Spent a lot of time reworking the trunk and transom brackets, and although not absolutely perfect, I reckon they've come up ok. I don't have a bead blaster or anything like that so the aluminium was attended to with a wire brush (larger areas) and a dremel (hard to get at areas). All nuts and bolts etc are original, just cleaned up with a wire wheel on the drill press. Literally countless hours spent on these parts.

By comparison re-finishing the chrome on the trunk and carry handle was extremely easy. I hit them with an ďAutosolĒ metal polish and fine steel wool. 15 minutes later a few dents and scratches remain, but that adds to the character in my opinion.

With that out of the way, it was time to start reassembly. The power head (engine), lower dust cover and carry handle are secured by the 4 engine bolts and are therefore fitted together. In other words it goes together vey quickly.

Although I havenít got around to sourcing the right spark plug and setting the points yet, I thought Iíd whack the flywheel on just to see how she looks so far.

The search for missing parts continues. If you have any information or advice, I'd love to hear from you.

Regards,
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:00:04 AM »

What a superb job of restoration !
I spend a lot of time bringing copper/brass/ aluminium/bronze and steel back to original on my old marine engines and get a huge amount of satisfaction doing it the 'hard' way .
Thanks for all your interesting information in your posts . It hasn't gone unnoticed .

Cheers

Neil

Hard a' starboard
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »

Hear hear! An outstanding result, thus far.
I like your idea on the styrene boxes. Our valued member CI has some great thoughts on replacing the points. Perhaps he may comment on this Thread?

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I have a few on the go at the moment, all at different states of completion. All missing parts!

CI is a great bloke and is already doing what he can to assist with gearbox identification and possible replacement.

I've got a sneaking suspicion I know you MERCMAN. Do you by chance run a workshop in Carrum Downs, Victoria? If so, do you recall a bloke dropping in recently to look at an Australian Seasprite?

Will post more on the Hurricane when I get a chance.

Regards,
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 09:56:51 AM »

The fellow at Currum Downs is Guy Hanson, a great friend of mine. We share the same Christian name and outboard racing interests!
Up until 6 yeras ago, I lived all of my life in Sydney. I'm now semi retired and live down the South Coast of NSW.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 05:06:56 PM »

Thanks for the clarification MERCMAN.

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 10:15:11 AM »

It's been a while since my last update, but in reality there hasn't been a whole lot of progress to talk about anyway.

Spent a lot of time polishing the Muffler and Leg (mount for gearbox) to a chrome like finish and have refitted those to the outboard. I also spent countless hours reworking the Throttle Lever but can't refit that until I find a replacement tiller tube. The original tiller had been broken and re-welded by the previous owner and doesn't look quite right on a restored outboard, so a replacement is needed.

Haven't uploaded any photos to my photobucket account yet, but when do I'll link them here.

Whilst I've got your attention, I would appreciate some advice please. The throttle cable (outer plastic section) is in pretty bad shape. The cable inner on the other hand is fine.

How do I go about replacing the outer section and where do I source the right material?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »

A few pics as promised.

Regards
slowpoke
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 12:34:04 PM »

WOW!  It looks fabulous!!!!!
Nice job.

For your outer cable you might try a lawnmower shop.  They should be able to supply the little ferrules for each end also Ė if not I may have a couple here buried away somewhere.  It would require a search.  Let me know.
Ken
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 07:16:04 PM »

Further to Ken's suggestion... You can get all manner of cables, outers and ferrules (AKA end caps) from a bike (pushbike) shop either in person or online.  You'll be able to get almost any colour outer, to make sure you match it to your liking.

Check Ebay (Sporting Goods>Cycling>Bicycle Components & Parts>Cables & Housing): http://www.ebay.com.au/chp/Cables-Housing-/42335

AJ

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 07:33:25 PM »

Thanks Ken and Aaron,

Matching up the ferrules or end pieces is the bit that I am most concerned about. Will check out the ebay link and if that fails a mower shop may be the way to go.

Had a look at your blogs also Aaron. You have two very nice packages there and the work on both is fantastic.

Thanks again and regards
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 11:11:53 PM »

Spiro gets around aye.

Some other interesting input about His motor here.

Cheers

B

AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »

Spiro gets around aye.

Some other interesting input about His motor here.

Cheers

B

G'day B,

Gracing us with your presence at last! Was wondering how long it would take  Wink

Actually, this is where the hunt for info began ie a couple of weeks before I picked her up ... and based on that alone it wouldn't be right if I didn't share with the good folk here.

Look forward to catching up soon.

Regards,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: