As promised in the ĎChapman Outboardsí thread, hereís the story behind my Australian Hurricane. Itís number 7 in my collection of old outboards and right up there with my Australian Seasprite as one of my very favourites.
I purchased it a little while back in an incomplete and modified state from its previous owner. Australian Hurricane Outboards are rare find at the best of times, so how could I possibly pass one up that was factory built with a model 200 engine. For those who are not aware Hurricane produced a variety of engines, the most common being their 125cc. They also built a 180 and a 185A both of which comprised a one piece cylinder and head, the 180 constructed from cast iron, the 185A from aluminium with a liner. The model 200 is the lesser known of the Hurricane engines, and is essentially a water-cooled version of the 185A. By comparison to the 125cc, these engines were produced in very limited numbers and are therefore extremely difficult to find.
Anyway, we agreed on a price, I got it home, plonked it on a stand and there it stayed whilst I started to do some research via the internet and friends. Albeit limited, the two best sources of information proved to be board.net.au and vintagemowers.net. At least Hurricane was mentioned on both, with comment from a very helpful Mr. Eric Schulz. Thanks to Eric, not only was I able to identify the engine, but many of itís missing parts thereby assisting my search for them.
So here's a few pics of how it arrived. You can clearly see it was (and still is) missing a fuel tank and all the original components from the flywheel up including the recoil starter. At the bottom end, you can see a gearbox from another outboard had been 'grafted' on to the leg by the previous owner. Sourcing original equipment isnít going to be easy, but it's all on the list and will happen sooner or later.
Although itís not all there, I thought Iíd make a start and go as far as I could with the restoration. I tend to do a lot of my initial parts cleaning prior to tear down and take a bunch of pics along the way. This assists with parts identification and re-assembly down the track.
A few more pics with engine removed from trunk. All it has seen at this stage is a degrease and low pressure wash followed up by a wire brush to the crankcase and cylinder/head surfaces, and a light (first pass) polish of the brass fittings.
On separating the crank case and cylinder, it becomes clear this thing has had very limited use. Not a lot of carbon build-up on the piston. Cylinder lining and rings appear as new.
Crank case and cylinder mating surfaces given a bit of a clean-up, piston given a good soak and wipe down. Thereís absolutely no slack in the big or little end of the con rod and I am very pleased with what Iím seeing so far.
Re-painted the cylinder/head, flywheel and base plate and packed until next time. I like to use plastic or styrene boxes where possible as there are no openings for small components to escape and store parts (eg stripped down carb) together in smaller plastic bags. This prevents anything from getting lost, and when I'm ready to work on any given parts, it's pretty much all there in one bag.
More recently work commenced on a many of the smaller parts (carb, ignition system etc) and weíre now heading towards re-assembly.
Lots has also been done to the trunk, and thanks to a great friend with much more patience than myself, the two seized bolts on the transom bracket have been freed up, allowing me to continue working on those.
In the meantime, Iíve also been able to find some information on the gearbox the previous owner had grafted to the Hurricane. This appears to be a Ďgenericí unit, used by Elgin, Scott Attwater, McCulluch and several other outboard manufacturers in the US from the late 40ís through to approximately the mid 60ís.
I will restore that also and create a new intermediate/exhaust plate so that it works better on the Hurricane until an original gearbox can be located.
More next time.PS: If anyone here knows of an old/dead Hurricane mower that the owner is happy to part with, please donít hesitate to let me know.