logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 01:00:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gearbox - Long shaft - Suit 69 Merc 100  (Read 5254 times)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2014, 06:32:35 AM »

Team,

I heard from Ken Firth yesterday and the gearbox is not work fixing so  Angry I am after a gearbox for the Merc.

Replacement needs to go on a 1968 1000SS long shaft.

Anyone also able to tell me what year range will work?  I'm assuming any inline six up to the somewhere around the mid 1970s?

Thanks,
AJ

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:49:29 AM »

Hi Aaron,
Did Ken tell you what's actually Jiggered?

As far as what will fit... all 4cyl gearcases (and up) will fit from say 1964 on. However, unless it's an I6 geracase, the gear ratio will be too low.
Note: (the newer 4 cyl 100hp, 115hp & 125hp gearcases won't fit)
I have a great later model (1976) 4 cyl L/S geracase which will go OK, provided you want to stuff around and put your own geras into it OR go to the trouble to try and find a cheap second hand prop with a pitch of say 21" to compensate for the lower ratio?

MERCMAN.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:47:16 AM by MERCMAN » Logged

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »

Guy,

It was a culmination of issues that made us decide to put the death-nail into it.

The leading edge (right side) has a hole in it where the water jacket must have crusted up and expanded in the past. It has a filler in it now and I was going to refill  with Aquanead and paint.

I'm also a little suss on the seals, as when I did the first oil change it was very grey/opaque.

However, the main issue... Ken got the control box working (one of the cams was stuffed), but then found that the shift shaft was lifting up in a way that it should not.  He said something about some pin/cam that may have come out/sheered/etc.  Seems when I stuffed it up trying to shift a non-running motor I broke the control box and gearbox!!!  He did conceded, both may have been on the edge anyway and it just took break the camel's back.

He had tried to free the little two-pronged shaft seal/nut (upper shift bushing?), but no luck.  He said in the past head had drilled through the side of the gearbox, fished, then welded it back up.  But I just though it was not worth all the stuffing around and more cost on a gearbox (and maybe motor) that may still end up a dud.  He did say it was probably not a huge issue if we could get into the gearbox, but that's where the issue was... can't get in.

Pretty disappointing and frustrating, though a reminder of the risks with these old motors I guess.

Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »

This might be some help

* 001.jpg (313.99 KB, 1700x2338 - viewed 317 times.)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:14:30 PM »

I see Arron, a replacement gerabox is far easier.
I kinda want to keep the L/S box that I have. However, I'm very happy to lend it to you... if you want to ensure the rest of your motor is OK. I can send it to Port Melbourne free of charge, you just say the word old mate! If your motor runs OK with my box, then it's reasonably safe to say your 1000 is worth spending money on a second hand gearbox. After the trial, all you need do is return my gearbox to Port Melbourne and it will be returned to me from there at no charge to anyone. Just ask Mark..... a few years ago, I dispatched his old Johnson from Sydney to Port Melbourne at no charge too!

Mark, That chart is a beauty. Can you email it to me please?

MERCMAN.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »

Although Mark's Chart doesn't exactly show my 1976 85hp, I now seem to recall that year model of my 85hp may well have the 2:1 gear ratio, as the I6 motors of the similar era sometimes shared the same racing props. Some I6 motors had a ratio of 1:78:1, which was the same ratio as in the V6!
When I have time tomorrow, I'll check the ratio of the box I have here in my workshop.

MERCMAN.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 07:32:01 PM »

Thanks Mark (very useful) and BIG thanks Guy.  Got to love this forum!

It might be worth a crack with your very kind offer Guy.  It would be good to know if this motor is going to hold up in the short-term without spending to much more.

Give me a week or so to do some poking around here in Melb.  If I can't come up with any alternatives I'll give you a call.

AJ

bullshot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 09:44:09 AM »

Hi Aaron, I may be able to help you out with a gearbox. Ring me on 0407794573 after 5 Pm
Thanks Kim
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 10:15:23 AM »

1975-78 ratios

* Mercury gear ratios 1975-78 001.jpg (269.82 KB, 1700x2338 - viewed 321 times.)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »

Arron, The latest post by Mark shows my 850 gerabox will be 2.3:1
It will certainly work for motor trials and your welcome to try it before you commit to buying a replacement gearbox.

MERCMAN.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »

Arron,
I've since spoken to Guy Hanson. He has a L/S gearbox which was on a red band I6. He wants $350 (folding money) for it.
That's a good price (depending on condition of course). If I was to sell mine, I'd ask $550 and take $500 for it.

MERCMAN.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »

Helloooooo. Is there anyone out there?

MERCMAN.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 06:30:11 PM »

Yep still here.

Apologies, did not realised I had logged out so was not seeing an indication of replies when I looked at the top level of the forum.  I thought it was quiet!

I just spoke to Kim, but will give Guy a buzz next week and suss out the gearbox details first.

AJ

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: