logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 05:26:45 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Javelin  (Read 3787 times)
NEWY JAV

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »

Hi all great to find some more classic outboard enthusiasts. here's a pic of my Javelin. just completed a full restoration to specs as I bought it. all the expected - new floor new transom motor and leg rebuild.

looking for one original javelin V arrow and a classic white steering wheel in good nick.

cheers

* newy javelin.jpg (78.37 KB, 599x450 - viewed 263 times.)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »

G'day Newy and welcome to The Board.
What a great looking rig you have. I noticed you have a long Shaft Motor on what's normally a Short Shaft transom. What hp is your V4 'rude?
The > Arrows are very hard to come by, I recall we have one member/owner of a Jav who is prepared to have a mould made, if someone would lend him one to cast from. You would need to make both left and right.
Period steering wheels are not that hard to come across. Keep hunting on ebay.

What area are you located?

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
NEWY JAV

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »

Hi merchman
Its actually a short shaft 1972 125hp eninrude starflite with selectric control. All original size transom.  a beaut barn find I got on ebay out of Melbourne. Was in storage for 25yrs I was told.
Now lives in newcastle.
 I might be better of milling an arrow out of bronze plate n getting it chromed with some other parts I want rechromed

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »

I've never seen a Short Shaft V4 with a cowel like yours. Can you post a a pic please as I'm most interested.

Milling up an Arrow is possibly your best bet.

MERCMAN.

Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:05:43 PM »

Interesting that.

Can we have an engine number and model number?

I like to know interesting things aye.

B

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »

Hey Newy,
I've had a closer look at your Tramsom in your pic and it certainly looks to me as if the height has been increased from standard, at some point.

With your motor in the vertical position, please measure from the underside of the Transom Bracket to the underside of the anti-cavitation plate.
I feel you'll find this distance is approximately 20"  (or 510mm). We would be very interested what you can report back to us.
Many thanks.

Bruce, as you know, the OMC 125hp was only manufactured in Long Shaft, unless it's a Frankenrude? I'd certainly like to see that!
OR his V4 is ploughing a big trench in the Bay? One or the other?

MERCMAN.

NEWY JAV

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 12:41:16 PM »

Hi guys
Having replaced the ply in the transom I can assure you it is not raised transom.

Motor is a 1972 125HP Starflite Model No. is 125283 with Selectric press button F N R control box. the leg's cav plate is just above the hull running surface. perfect !  I'll get a photo.

I didn't think this motor was that rare ! we bought another 100HP starflite on Ebay for spares which as it turned out we did use a lot of part off
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: