logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2018, 05:47:28 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Glastron V-143 Jetflite  (Read 28174 times)
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »

Just in time for some "cold weather" boating in Melb...exactly what you need after Mexico!

A
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2014, 02:35:25 PM »

So long as its not raining, nothing some thermals won't fix.

I can just see it... early one week day morning (at Eildon), no one else around, slight mist on the water, dead calm.

Oh yeah..... and bro in-law with is tinny as the rescue boat in case the Merc chooses to not play ball mid-lake.

Well, that's the plan, and we all know so far little has gone to plan!

AJ

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2014, 08:28:48 AM »

You gotta have a vision Cheesy

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »

Still slow, but some progress...

I have fully redone the internal wiring loom.

All plastic casings on the old loom wires were shot right down to the plug, so it was a challenge.  However, its done.

Now to fix that damn control box issue so I can test fire and see if all the wires are back in the right place ;-)

AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2014, 05:30:59 AM »

As I noted in Today's News, I gave up on the forward control issue and finally dropped her off at Ken Firths (Eltham Marine).

He's going to tackle that issue and a few other little niggles so I can finally get her out in the water.

AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2014, 07:37:03 PM »

Well... no news is god news. 

I was expecting to hear from Ken today if there were any issues.  But I haven't.  So I'm assuming all is good and he's just waiting on a part I think he had to order in.

Once home, I just have to secure the bater and wire up the bilge.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »

Hey gang.

How is everyone?

I'm still here, though July 2014 was the last post on the Glastron, matching when I started my business, got married, had a baby (Dec 14) and life took me away from all my projects.

The Capricious went into storage a few years back and the Glastron formally went into storage about a year ago after sitting post me stuffing the gearbox.

Well... I just could not take it any longer and the Glastron is back... AND... the big news... she's about ready to hit the water.

Guy and I chatted a few times about the gearbox ages ago and he generously offered to send me down one of his.

I let that offer slip, but just last week stumbled across a ripper of gearbox from an early 1980's inline-6.  So I jumped at the opportunity, gave it a quick going over and it was mounted to the 1000SS today and all is good.
It took about 5 cranks to get the Merc to fire and she purred with my carby servicing and rewired loom. Though I suspect is idling high.

To meet requirements I just need to wire up the bilge pump and I hope to test run her at either Eildon or Hazelwood in the next week.

But I have a question... What's a cost effective way to get a tacho up an running? The orig is dead and I need to know what she's spinning at.  I've seen a few on Ebay like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TACHOMETER-6000-RPM-DIGITAL-HOUR-METER-BLACK-on-BLACK-BOAT-MARINE-12V-24V-/311256489719?hash=item4878551ef7:g:f90AAOSw1vlUtzc2

I hope you are all well.

AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2016, 09:16:47 AM »

OK... almost there.

A quick trip to Whitworths and a Merc dealer (BL Marine) yesterday and:

- the bilge is plumbed/wired;
- I have a couple of new battery powered nav lights (did not want to hard-wire the boat but need to be able to show I have them);
- the lower unit has fresh Merc SAE 90;
- and I have a couple of litres of Merc 2-stroke oil.

You'll see in the attached photo, to save touching the hull with hardware/wiring, I have installed the very basic electricals into the battery box.  You can see the bilge switch (red toggle), battery switch (key not in it) and charger port.  I'm not sure if there are any issues with how I'de done it, but it all works as required.

I'll also note that my gearbox gamble has really paid off.  When I drained it yesterday, the old oil was in pretty good condition and there was only a tiny dusting of black metal dust on the drain magnet. Drive and props shafts are clean, rust free and nice and tight, gear shifts are smooth (given I have not adjusted the cable) and water pump housing was in good condition.  I'll flog the forward control and starter that came with it on Ebay and I should be well ahead on the $100 outlay!

Last few tasks:

- Wait for a cheap digital tacho to arrive from Ebay.
- Flush/clean fuel tank and fill with fresh fuel/oil.
- One last test run and check in the driveway with fresh fuel.
- Find someone to join me and pick a day for the launch/test run.  Thinking Epalock, Eildon or Hazlewood, weekday, if anyone else is keen to bring their boat out?

AJ

* IMG_3343.JPG (739.27 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 181 times.)

slowpoke
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »

Hey Aaron,
you made sure that you were occupied for the second half of last year! wow, busy man!!!
How do you squeeze it all in? And a new business too (I am impressed).  Hope your business is thriving.
Congratulations on the new bub, bass or soprano?  That will change your life somewhat.   Smiley

I would enjoy being your tender on the test run, but it is just a bit far to your launching ramp from here.
I expect you have done your homework on the tacho, but double check because I recall reading there are some cautions to take with the different 6-cyl mercs.
Mercman is sure to know. Your 1000SS I understand means Solid State (I may be corrected on this). I see that many Americans really love these motors.
Good luck mate, have fun.
Ken
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »

HI Ken,
Has been a very busy 1.5 years but some of the best time of my life.  Only took me until my early 40's to sort myself out to a point where I picked the best girl and best career ;-)
Now we are hunting for a new house and one of my boxes it needs to tick is a big workshop (business and play) or a good space to build one.
Bubs is bass (Harvey) and we have another on the way of unknown tone!

Timely mentioning of the tacho as my cheap eBay digital tacho already has an issue with the 1000SS.
The tacho works by detecting the pulse from one of the spark plug leads (you wrap the end of the tacho wire around one lead a few times).
Then you have 3x options of how it reads the pulse and converts to RPM 1p1r (1 pulse per rotation and what I thought these outboards were), 2p1r and 1r2p.  With the motor at idle and 1p1r selected it reads about 5500-6000 rpm, about 5-6x what I's expect. Of course that mean 1p2r and 2p1r don't read the right RPM either.  I would expect 750-1000 RPM at idle.
I have wrapped the wires around the No. 6 lead at a point most distal from the other leads, so I am sure its not interference.
It also does respond to increases in revs by the proportion I'd expect (i.e. goes from 5500 to 12000 with a decent rev of the motor).
So that leaves me to think something about the SS ignition means it does not equal 1p1r or the other options???
Any ideas anyone?
Aaron

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2016, 03:20:35 PM »

So... yesterday, I thought I'd give her a little go in a big tub of water.  I still had the muffs on (water not quite deep enough) but at least she was a little muffled and my neighbors left a little more in peace ;-).

There was quite a bit of light brown oil in the water, that had me puzzled, and after I shut her off and lilted there was a lot of milky light brown oil.

So today I dropped the gearbox again and found a heap of milky oil all around the front end of the water pump and shift shaft.
It was not up the drive shaft and not in the water pump.
As it was milky I assume it had to be caused by agitation, so I checked the gearbox oil.  Looked OK if not a tiny bit opaque (was fresh non gearbox oil I was using as a flush for the old oil and before the new Merc oil went in).
Last thought was to pull the water pump base and presto... that large o-ring in the pump base was caput.
Although I thought it all looked ok with the pump upon my first inspection, i suck in new o-rings, a new impeller, gaskets and top housing (didnt have a new base).
Test run on muffs had none of the milky oil form yesterday, so I think its fixed!

Its back to Ken Firth Tuesday to have the ignition, timing and carbs tuned, so will get him to give it another once-over.

Cheers,
AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2016, 03:45:57 PM »

Couple of vids at idle...

1. In neutral with cowls on: https://youtu.be/SZSW61BG3_c

2. In forward gear with cowls off: https://youtu.be/fxalpaJRhhg

A little smokey... I'm running Merc 2-stoke oil at 40:1 with 91 octane unleaded.

Does she sound OK at idle?
AJ

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: