logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2018, 04:50:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Glastron V-143 Jetflite  (Read 30458 times)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »

Aaron,
Sorry I missed your last post.
The problem with the gearshift must be resolved before you can even think of starting anything, as your motor won't crank unless it's in Neutral. Kiss
A 23" pitch prop will be too high in pitch for that big heavy boat. Your motor must achieve maximum rev range (5200 -5500 for that motor - TBC) at WOT. If you don't, you risk damaging the block and other goodies. I'd advise you take your motor to Guy Hanson. He'll fix the gear change problem, if you can't. He'll retard the ignition (for current fuel quality) and possibly re-jet the carbies (for the very same reason). Your motor will live much longer.

The two blade bronze prop will look very Retro indeed as two bladers were almost on all Mercs back in the '60's. They look even better when mechanically polished! Unless you raise the motor quite high on the transom I really don't feel you'll reach max RPM.
If the prop doesn't work for you, I might be interested in buying it just for "show" purposes only. By chance, is the leading edge of each blade rather straight compared to all the other props you have?

I'll look up your "Max RPM range" later today when I go to my workshop.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »

Hey mate,
I actually spoke to Guy late last year and I am sure my take-away message was that he won't touch these old motors.
I'm not giving up yet thought… Motor and control are both in neutral and connected, so I am sure I can start it fine. Once started, I'll see if that shifting issue persists. If it does, I have anoth control and cable set I can stick on to see if that works. I just need to find the time!

As an aside, last year when I was doing some monitoring on the Goulburn, near Eildon, one of my monitoring sites is via a boat mechanics. I spoke to the owner and he said he'd love to take a look at my old motors, so I may need to take my partner for a "weekend away" and just happen to sneak by with the Glastron ;-)

Re the prop, yes, the leading edge is a little straighter, but not significantly. Its pretty close to the two-blades on the 1961 700 twins.  What I did spot different, is that the trailing edge (outer approx 5-7mm) is lipped/cupped.
It only cost me $50, so if it does not perform, then yes, polish and show it will be.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 06:03:01 PM »

mmm. I'm sure I could talk Guy H into it, if need be.
. I didn't think you were able select Neutral... silly me.
. I'm guessing Mark S would be closer too you than Eildon, but a weekend away is always very nice too Wink
. As for your Prop... the RPM range at full throttle is 4800- 5200 for a 1968 1000. Your spark plugs should be Champion L19V or equivalent.

I recall you saying you looked inside the Control Box. There should a small roller which sits in a groove in the cam which the shift cable connects to. If this roller has dislodged sideways or just in need of grease, it could be your problem. Did you happen to see this little roller whilst your were operating?

Next month, one of my suppliers is flying me to the Melb' to join them as their guest for the F1 GP. Do you live close to Albert Park? Maybe I can sort out your gearbox issue then.... if you haven't already. That would be real fun after a million free beers at the track Embarrassed Roll Eyes

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 06:40:46 PM »

Looked inside!!! I pulled the bloody thing apart and put it back together at least there times.

Each reassembly I set it in neutral. Then i select forward (fine), neutral (fine), reverse (fine), but it'll then not go back from reverse to neutral. Its a sharp hard metal stop, just shy of neutral, not related to the gearbox (does with with both cables disconneded).

That neutral roller is there and in place (did pop out a few times trying to put it all back together). I don't think that's it.

I'll take another look this weekend and report back.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 07:11:12 PM »

No wonder your shoulder's knackered....with all that undoing and doing up of bolts!

It'll be that loose nut that fell off somewhere, and jammed in the most annoying spot.

Glad to hear that you're still tinkering though. Where did you end up with Capricious? Is hull finished?

A
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 05:26:03 PM »

Ha… No.
Capricious is under tarps for a rainy day.
What's funny… was I bought the Glastron, because I was sick of not having a boat in the water. The plan was a few weekends tweaking her and off I'd go.
However, the 43 year-old Glastron is much the same as me in my 43 years, in that under the surface, it needs a bit more work than is first apparent!!!
But, as with the shoulders, I am determined.
Capricious will still happen one day.

Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 09:39:52 AM »

Sounds like the cams in the control box are worn and jumping across and locking. Post photos of the cams next time you have the control box apart so we can assess the wear.

Mark S.
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »

Testing only - Won't let me post a longer reply.

Edit - it worked. Odd!

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »

Will post pickies when I next pull it apart.

However, I can confirm the exact same issue occurred when I fired her up today.

Firstly, I don't think the 1968 1000SS has had the kindest life. There are more that its share of signs of abuse. But, for the half a dozen times I have fired it up.  So long as I prime really well, she fires the second that fuel hits the carbies. Even cold. Even with some pretty shite wiring on the loom. Pretty amazing old motors these Mercs. Hanging to get her in the water now.

So yes, gave it another fire today and that issue is still present.

Warmed her up, selected forward no issue and gave her a little  50 percent throttle rev. All good.

Dropped it back to neutral just fine.

Move the shifter into reverse.  Felt that little click as it went past about 85 degree, 90 being leaver vertical in neutral. However, it did not put the gearbox into reverse (no prop spin).  I moved the leaver through to about 45 degrees and the engine started to rev, but no prop spin.  So the control did not select reverse.

I then tried to put her back to neutral and at about that 85 degree mark, hit that solid stop again. Hundred percent not going to move back to neutral, and it was most certainly the control that was the issue

So no doubt I have a control issue from when I tried for force it.

But now I am also wondering if I have another issue and did not put the reverse cam back in at the right position over the multiple times I dropped and reinstall the gearbox.

Control issue aside, how do I know were to place the cam if I now have no reference?

I'm gong to give it all one more crack tomorrow. If that does not work, then I'm gong to have to seek some help.

AJ

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »

A, whadya want reverse for anyway? Only used mine twice today, and didnt really need to....in fact, I think reverse is an impediment with my driving!

A
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 05:02:07 PM »

Well I have to concede defeat on the control box.

The up side is, that in looking around, I have found someone that will and regularly works on old motors. Ken Firth (for anyone that knows him) from Eltham Marine (actually in Greensborough).

Actually, I found another move also, Mota Boats in Dandenong (Marty).

Marty was really helpful via email, but Ken is 5min away, so will give hime a  go first.

Ken's going to sort the control/reverse issue and give the motor a good going over/tune so that I can that damn thing launched up at Eildon.

Had my last shoulder surgery yesterday (took out the stainless hardware and a wee little grinding to clean it all up) and I'm already feeling heaps better sans hook-plate and screws!

Maybe I'll get the Glastron wet by late March!!!

AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »

Ok, so as I noted in my other post about the fuel lines (http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=2449.0), this 'renovator's delight' keeps throwing me left hooks.

Now, having looked more closely, before I can take it to Ken, I have to do a full rewire of the loom and all new fuel lines (will do the carboy and pump service while I'm at it).

Thought I'd share a few pickies.

Here is the loop removed, wires labeled and on the wiring inboard (out of focus sorry):

Here is is with all the electrical tape, shrink wraps and other mess removed:

All the wires under the electrical tape had this rotten sticky ooze. Really smelly stuff and I assume just a lifetime of build up fuel, oil, grease, WD40!

And this was how all the non-wrapped wires looked:

I am just so dumbfounded that she ran at all given the star of this stuff. Bloody amazing.

Not that I'll know, but would be interesting to low, if the only thing I did was rewire it, if it'd run better with that improvement alone?

AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 01:01:22 PM »

And add some new carpet, just to gloss the interior over a little from this original, old, worn, faded, paisley:

To some new charcoal carpet and the crap taken off the dash:

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »

Just thinking… this thread should probably now live in the "project" section.

If you recall, a couple of posts back I asked about something that was odd about my 1000SS… When I squirted carb cleaner into the top and middle carbs, the motor bogged down and tried to stall, but into the bottom carb, there was no response.

I was taking a better look at the carbs today and found that the butterfly was jammed on the bottom carb.  I pulled the carb off and it took some work to free the throttle shaft from the body.  Even using pliers I could not get it to move and had to resort to gently hammering it out of the shaft.  Once out it looked like it was stuck with dried salts. Heck knows how it got into only that one carb.

A bit of a clean and oil and its all good now.

MarkS, you were spot on about carefully hacksawing off the hose clamps to access the original barbs. I was able to save all the fittings and just need to source some 6mm or 7mm hose and clamps.

A coupe of wins with this motor at bloody last!

AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »

I was just chatting on Facebook with a guy in the US that has recently (2010) finished a resto on one of these Jetflites and is running a 1978 Merc 115.  He said said he has maxed out at 55 mph, but still with some throttle left.  He said it was starting to chine-walk, but at that speed left almost no wake.  Wonder what the 1000SS will do? 45-50 maybe?

Here's one of his videos:

- Flyby (apparently at 50mph): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqYQT_Dq6Uo

Man I can't wait... wiring loom and a quick couple of weeks in Mexico (no not here in Melb) to go and she'll be in the water!

AJ

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: