logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 18, 2018, 10:45:09 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Glastron V-143 Jetflite  (Read 29168 times)
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 08:03:38 PM »

Foreplay....just foreplay.....
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »

Ok, so I'm pumping water and she fired second try. Haven’t even done the fuel pump and carby kit install. Awesome!

I now have other issues though. I stuffed up big time lads…. after putting the gearbox back on I tested the forward control (with the mother tilted = IDIOT).  Needless to say, it seemed to not want to shift, so I gave a little ‘no so gentle’ encouragement.

Once I worked out what I was doing wrong, I dropped the motor, but the control was now clearly not working.

Three times (yes 3) I both dropped the gearbox and pulled apart/rebuilt the control box. Took all bloody day and still can’t get it all working again.

Such a bloody NONG…

I suspect I have two issues (1) lower unit seems harder to get into reverse and (2) seems some damage to the little notch on the control box large middle rotor/shift cable rotor.  Swapped over to another spare set of used rotors to no avail. Will post photos next time I give it another try.

Anyhow, my other point… Managed to get both the control box and lower unit in neutral at the same time!  Stuck 2L of fuel mix (at 50:1) in the tank and fired her up.

Now I was not timing and she was idling very fast, blowing some light blue smoke and very rich smelling, but it ran through the 2L in somewhere around only 5 minutes. What the heck?Huh

Its a 25L tank, so even as just a high idle, that's only about 1 hour.  Would be a fraction that at WOT.

Surely its not THAT thirsty?

AJ

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 08:09:53 PM »

Do I recall you saying "it'll be in the water by mid January"??

I don't understand the mechanical stuff, but am impressed with your perseverance!

A
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »

Trust you to remember and bring it up ;-) No slinking around it here….

Yes I may have. I also reassessed, post that comment, and put it to mid-late Feb, but time is ticking and she sure ain't seaworthy yet.  Plus I find out tomorrow if surgery No. 4 is on for early Feb. That'll slow me down yet again, but should be the end of it all.

I can work out most of the mechanicals, but its those darn little pesky things, that are givens for anyone that has worked on them before (which I haven't) would know. I feel like I often just don't know what i don't know and only find out when I make a mistake. And that's with a manual!

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 08:00:06 AM »

Hi Aaron,
Never try to shift a Merc into reverse without the motor running OR someone rotating the prop slowly whilst you are shifting the lever. This allows the gear teeth to mesh easily. Outboards don't have Syncro's
It's very unlikely that  any damage has occurred in your control box. I can't recall if you have TNT.... If not, there is a plastic Cam which lives on the Shift Shaft (top of gear box). This Cam operates your Reverse Locks. These hook over the Tilt Pin and prevents your motor jumping in the boat with you when reveres is selected. Make sure there is grease on the mating surfaces of the Cam
Also, make sure your Tilt Pin is in place. If not, you won't be able to select reverse.  Shocked
Don't be too concerned, we'll get it working shortly. Call me if need be.

As for the fuel use, The pick up tube in the fuel tank will never scavenge the last remaining fuel from the bottom of the tank. Maybe there is a fair bit still left at the bottom of the tank, did you check?
Anyway, lets see what happens after a test run, before we have too much concern. Perhaps there is a Needle and Seat in one of your Carbies is allowing too much juice through? Did you notice a strong smell of petrol coming from the motor?

Always have a fire extinguisher real handy when running older motors. Whether on the water or not. In the 70's, I had a motor burst into flames at the ramp. Luckily, there was an extinguisher near the helm. I removed the front cowl from the motor and filled the top half of the outboard with powder. I could have easily lost the lot by not having extinguisher handy. 

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 08:07:33 AM »

I just checked out your previous photos Aaron. No, you don't have TNT.

Did you grease the Cam and did you re-insert in the correct position?

MERCMAN.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »

Hey Guy,

Yep, greased all mating surfaces and put the cam and couple of other plastic pits (1 spaced under cam and one guide into mid section). I pretty much greased everything! I took photos of it all upon disassembling and put the cam back in the exact position (for neutral, which is how I pulled it apart).  Though, after I spoke to you I did try the last rebuild in forward! And I cannot recall if I reset the cam!?

I definitely had a jam in the control box. Each time I pulled it apart I put it back together in neutral. It'd select from neutral --> forward --> neutral --> reverse, and would then jam just shy of going back into neutral. It was a very firm stop (solid metal on metal) and also did it with the cable disconnected from the motor.

I'll fire her up again this weekend and see how she selects while running.

Re the fuel and carbs… was not much fuel left on the tank (<250mL I reckon).  When I primed the fuel I did get a decent spill of fuel out of one of the carnies. Not sure if it was one, two or all.  And an interesting observation… once she was running I squirted a little carboy cleaner into the throat of each carby. The motor wanted to stall when I did the top carby, similar but a little less so on the middle, but hardly flinched when I squirted some into the bottom carby. Does that seem odd?!? I'd have thought I'd get a similar reaction form all three?

Still chasing up that blue 200L drum by the way!!!

And have a fire extinguisher in the boat and in the workshop in easy reach.

AJ

PS. How much of a novice do I now look making such silly mistakes as to try and change gears tilted and not running! Sheesh...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:52:54 PM by AaronJ » Logged

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 08:04:43 PM »

Don't worry Aaron, we'll get there....
The reason I usually have a Merc Gearbox and Control Box in the Forward position prior dismantling and whilst rebuilding, is so your not fighting against the Reverse Locks (these are activated by the Cam when in either Neutral or Reverse position) whilst you are trying to push the box back on.

You say the Control Box still jammed even when you had the CABLE disconnected from the motor. Don't you mean CABLES? As you have to remove the Throttle Cable before the Gear Shift Cable can be removed.
Now, with the Shift Cable removed at the Motor end, try shifting from Neutral to Forward by moving the Shift Arm (on Port Side) whilst rocking the prop back and forth with your foot. (with shoe on). Does the box change now, or is something still jamming?

Lets get your Gearbox operating correctly first and then we'll move on to your Carbies.

MERCMAN.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 09:37:44 PM »

Aaron, if it makes you feel better, I would  have expected an outboard to work in F and N whilst tilted, but R would require it not to be tilted. 

I'm well down below being a "novice", but excited about what I've learned to date from this forum, and feeling bloody lucky that my old 'Rude mostly runs without significant problems. What's you are doing amazes me.

And for all those who aren't getting out in your boats....will prob take her for a spin again this weekend.......

......Neil, where are the piccies of your Boston water ( yep, I know I give you a hard time about this, but you gave me a hard time about English useage on my early days on the forum..... Karma......And you've got such a f...... Beautiful looking boat, it just needs to be seen on water).

A
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 07:32:26 AM »

Hi AA,
What exactly do you mean by "Boston water"?

By the way, don't become too concerned about understanding what I'm advising Aaron at the moment, your motor is completely different to his.
The only similarity is: Both gear boxes have to be removed from the rest of the motor in order to change/service the impeller/pump housing.

MERCMAN.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:32:57 PM by MERCMAN » Logged

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 02:12:01 PM »

I took ' Boston water Karma and F....... ' to mean  'Where are the pictures of me fishing in calmer waters in my Boston Whaler ' Grin

I shall send a longer update on SX2 soon AA along with the 'Hartley- Catalina -Best classic boats debate .

Meanwhile I have more patience than you have patients  Cheesy

Neil

Hard a' starboard
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »

Touche` Grin

Anyway, lets keep this Thread about Aaron's problem.

MERCMAN.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 06:24:36 PM »

Guy,
Yes, both cables were out and the forward control still hit a very solid stop just shy of coming back to neutral from reverse.
Have not had a chance to fire her up and try it while running (too loud on muffs and still looking for a 200L blue barrel).

One the up side, new winch arrived today and I put all new rollers on last weekend. Safety kit is up to spec with all new gear, including Rule bilge pump which is still to be installed when I do a refresh on the electricals.

I do need to move the suspension back one notch/hole (thankfully there is another set oh holes 75mm bad), as now that I have the boat sitting correctly on the trailer, she's a tad tail heavy.

Still to do before she can get wet:
- install carby kits;
- install fuel pump kits;
- fix a couple of other little motor issues;
- wire up bilge pump; and
- do a little refresh on the motor's electricals.

The list is probably longer, but those are the main things that need doing before a real test.

The planned first launch is Eildon and my brother in-law will bring his savage tinny up to be the rescue boat.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »

Oh.. and I just scored myself a cheap old prop off Ebay to try out.

Brass, 2-blade, 23" pitch Quicksilver: 48-31450-A3-23

The current prop, and likely long-time used, is an alloy 3-blade 19" pitch.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 07:37:02 PM »

And I just sold my old 13 1/2" 21 pitch prop on eBay cheaply. Must be the week for prop sales!

A
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: