logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2018, 06:08:43 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Glastron V-143 Jetflite  (Read 28177 times)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:09:24 PM »

Ok, so you all know I have been tinkering away on Capricious for about 4 years now. In that four years I have not had a water-ready boat.

So, although I still plan to finish her one day, I decided this year I'd just buy a boat and get out to have a little fun.

Of course, I didn't want just any runabout. I wanted a known brand name (since capricious is an unknown) and I wanted an inline-6 Merc cira 1970s. I have to admit I'm more attracted to style and speed than functionality.

I've been looking for a while now, for just the right boat and the so NOT the right boat ended up on my garage yesterday.

I could not help myself and I now own a completely original 1968-70 Glastron V143 Jetflite and its original 1968 Merc 1000  Roll Eyes

And yes… its another project boat damn it.

BUT… the motor is a good runner (will give it a full going over first) and the hull is water tight, if not a bit run down. It'll be in the water by mid January.

* IMG_18411.jpg (292.29 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 685 times.)

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:53:16 AM »

You old sea dog!

That hull is very similar to the famous James Bond boat that jumped over the car. It was a Glastron GT-150 with a 125hp V4 'rude. Cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cODPt3T0cHE

I plan to be in Melb' next Tuesday night. (flights are yet to be booked). If you can have a gearbox off any of your collection of motors by then, I'll show you the finer tricks when replacing an impeller.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:30:02 PM »

Yes its similar to the GT. Not as bullet-like though.

Not sure I'll get time to keep trying on these gearboxes this weekend, but if I do I'll try the 100hp this time.

Made some homemade 'seafoam' and am soaking the cylinders tonight. I fired it up quickly yesterday and there is no tell tail so only ran it for about 30 seconds. Did a compression test and found all around the 115psi mark there than 4 and 5 with were down in the 90's. Both cylinders (and piston heads) were quite dry also, so gave a squirt of WD40, after which both jumped about 5psi. When I took the plugs out again tonight to put the DIY mix in, I did notice a lot of old washer and other crud on the plug seat. So its possible they were just not sealing as well and their psi may be OK. Are there any tools for cleaning the plug seat (by that I means where the plug washer is pressed up against the block)?

On that… I'm puzzled… I put the hull at 1970 and the motor at 1968.  However neither seem quite right.

I realised today, the hull's ID plate is "Glastron Australia". So I assume therefor, that they were building them here. That would then explain why it does not quite match the US catalogues for 1970 (or the years either side).

The motor. Its serial number 2325643, which on the US numbers makes it a 1968 1000SS. But its not got the SS on the 1000 decal. And… I cannot for the life of my find any Merc that had the same main decals (i.e. MERCURY in all red).

Anyone got any idea what the heck I'm dealing with here? Clearly I'm missing some key parts of the puzzle.

* IMG_1854.jpg (204.95 KB, 750x1000 - viewed 383 times.)

* IMG_1845.JPG (99.81 KB, 750x563 - viewed 424 times.)

Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:38:12 AM »

Well Done!

Very Worthy and Bloody Well Done Son!

You will keep us informed how it turns out of course aye?

B

Font colour change for 2014 by the way...................Green has done its dash!

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »

Of course I will. So here's a few more photos just for fun:

* IMG_1874.JPG (191.83 KB, 750x563 - viewed 594 times.)

* IMG_1878.JPG (208.13 KB, 750x563 - viewed 397 times.)

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 09:40:13 PM »

And two more.

Oh and buy the way… re the motor… I solved them mystery…

Firstly numb skull here did not take a close enough look at the faded decals and there is an "SS" over the "1000".  So it is a 1968 1000SS.

As for the decals and the weird red "MERCURY" lettering, which matched no decals from around the late 60s/early 70s. Well its not red! It once was white.

The decal has a full coverage red background and the lettering (white) was printed over this. What has happened, is over time the red background has faded at the same rate as the white lettering has worn. So what it now looks like is a silvery background with red letters.  I.e. The red behind the letters has been persevered by the white. But now the white is worn off the red is visible, making it loo like red lettering. Does that make sense  Huh

AJ

* IMG_1882.JPG (175.1 KB, 750x563 - viewed 1084 times.)

* IMG_1876.JPG (174.65 KB, 750x563 - viewed 551 times.)

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »

Like moths to a light source, Aaron to an old Merc!

I thought you'd be more attracted to a Hydrodyne or (?sp) Catalina style boat.

But, have fun. It's all about getting on the water, isn't it?....!

A
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »

Yep!

Very Worthy indeed.

I am not a Moth as the dark side still eludes me but this is going to be a cracker!

YUM!

B

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 06:48:28 AM »

A,
No issue with them, but the Hydro are not quite my style. Catalina yes, but too big for me to tackle right now.
But the Glastron I jus kept seeing and liking.
And yes, I'm hankering to actually have something in the water!

B, I hope I can do it justice in a timely manner, as opposed to the poor little Capricious and her 4 years of trickling along!

Just need to see if the gearbox will come off, stick in a new impeller kit and it should be ready for a quick test run up at Eildon.

AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 05:58:10 PM »

Yeah fricking yeah…. gearbox came off! easy as.

Although the water pump and impeller are in a very sad state, at least whomever last took it off, put grease on all the bits that count in terms of it not jamming on.

The top bearing was totally gone and puts have gushed water, so combined with a basically melted impeller, its amazing the last owner did not cook/destroy the motor.

Looks like I need a full pump kit including top housing.

I also hit the engine hard with degreaser. Came up OK, but I'm going to have to redo the loom. Once all the grease was removed I found many of the smaller wires had lost their casing. Again, pretty amazing it runs!

AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 10:04:19 AM »

Check out the water pump impeller. Seriously smashed.

Question… there was repair (poorly done) to a hole in the front right of the lower unit. From the leading edge it goes back between 25-40mm. What sits in behind here?

It does not appear to have impacted the shift shaft, but is the oil reservoir in there?

I'm hoping I can just refill and paint.

AJ

* IMG_2155.JPG (80.39 KB, 750x563 - viewed 395 times.)

* IMG_2145.jpg (115.72 KB, 563x750 - viewed 392 times.)

Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »

Hi Aaron,
The pump looks like it's been run without water and overheated.
Part number for a housing and impeller kit is 46-96148A8 for a genuine one. That gives you the top housing, liner, impeller, base plate and gaskets.

There is a cavity in the gear housing in front of the shift rod. In those early models it packs with sand and muck, eventually forms a hard salt crust, expands and breaks open the gear housing. That cavity is supposed to be cleaned every time the gearcase is removed during servicing. Use a long thin screwdriver and tap it with a hammer to clean it out.

Mark S.
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 10:38:27 PM »

Hey Mark,
Yep, I was just playing with a screwdriver tonight and worked out that cavity went down to the hole.
And that is looks to have happen exactly as you said. Was full of sand/salt. I could not work out how an impact could have done it!
I'l just clean, patch the hole with some new Selleys Knead It Steel and give it a coat of paint.
AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »

Guess who just got some presents (from one's self of course)!?

Water pump, fuel pump and carbie kits and a few other bits'n'bobs for the 1000SS and one of the 650's.

A phone call, for some tips, coming your way Mercman...

* IMG_1870.JPG (234.95 KB, 1000x747 - viewed 392 times.)

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »

A bunch of good looking bits indeed Aaron.
I'm waitin'  Cheesy

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: