logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 09:01:33 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trailer wiring - Waterproof  (Read 5532 times)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »

Hi Gang,

My trailer is almost done and I'm not far off painting.

The new LED lights arrived this week along with the 7-core cable and 7-pin plug. So I am all set to go, other than a few questions I know you guys will have brilliant solutions to.

The lights I am installing are a pair of tail lights, pair of rego plate lights and pair of side markers.

The questions:

1.  Waterproofing the connections: What's the best way to waterproof the connections down the rear of the trailer at the tail lights (which will be submerges at launch/retrieve)?  Iíve seen a number of options and the simplest seems to be these little heatshrink crimp connectors with some heat activated glue in them.   I have also seen some say solder and enclose the connections in PVC or poly pipe and seal with silicone.  I guess Iím after the neatest finish I can get as there will be connections at each tail light, at the rego plat lights and then at the marker lights.

2.  How to run the cable through the trailer: My trailer is mainly c-section. When I got it there were little tabs welded under the top of the c-section every 500m or so, which would have supported the cable.  I did not think at the time and removed them all.  Any suggestions on how best to support the cable along the length of the trailer?  I was thinking maybe to weld little section of say 10mm pipe up under the top of the C-section and run the cable though them.  I could then zip-tie to make secure at each support.

Any thoughts or experienced advice?

Cheers,
Aaron.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:50:27 PM »

My submersible lights corroded after 12 months where the globes attached before any wiring did. However, in this time we would gave done 30 launchings and retrieves, and they never got rinsed ,  so I'm all for keeping it simple, and either replacing the lights when they fail (~$80), or hosing them out and using wd40 if you want them to last longer. The 7 pin plug on the car, which the sparky wired in under the rear bumper of my patrol corroded put as well, as it got dunked every time. I moved it up above the rear step to reduce dunkings, and also used plastic rather than metal 7 pin plugs.

As to running the wires along the c section, your approach would be perfect. You'd only need a few points of attachment, and wouldn't need cable ties.

I'm waiting in anticipation for a YouTube of one of the twins firing up.....!

A
gldfvr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »

I have welded individual chain links every 200mm onto my trailer to run the wiring through and used cable ties every third link , works well .
At the junction point where the wires have to go to each side I used an electrical box with lid held on with screws so as at a later date if needed can replace any wiring easy .

Steven
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: