logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2018, 11:43:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1970 Evinrude Starflite 115 tilt issues  (Read 3718 times)
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »

Well, now there's a good battery connection........ the old girl seems to be running very well........however..............there are some issues with her "tilt".

Went to lift the motor up the other day, and nothing happened (as in, there was noise from the hydrolic, but no movement). Lifted the motor manually, and the hydrolics took up the slack. Thought it might be a lubrication issue, so sprayed some WD40 around on them, but subsequent attempts at lifting motor were still "sluggish", albeit better, and which, I suppose, is better than "nothing".

I was wondering whether there may be an issue with hydrolic fluid, and how I should check it if that was the case.

Thanks as always.

A
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »

Hi AA,
Sounds like a valve or an internal seal issue to me. Huh
If it was a hydraulic fluid level problem, you would see where it has been leaking from.

I reckon this issue will be best answered by Mark, he knows OMC stuff way better than I ever will.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »

Just thought.. a piston seal ("O" ring). Whart do ya reckon Mark?

MERCMAN.

Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:06:36 AM »

Check the oil level. It is not a large reservoir and fluid can weep out over a period of time.
Always check the easiest things first !

Mark S.
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:53:48 AM »

Ummmmmmmmmm. Where do I check the oil level? Sorry - you need to go back to real basics here.

A
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »

Hi Andrew,

There should be a knurled knob on the side of the tilt motor, that is the reservoir plug. Undo it and fill with Dextron auto trans fluid until full. You may have to buy yourself an oil can to put it in with.

Mark S.
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 09:18:33 AM »

Thanks, Mark.

Now I know the thing! I've gots lots of syringes that I can use!

A
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »

Hey Mark,
Does AA have to tilt his motor all the way before releasing the knurled knob, as you must do when checking the Oil in the Black ones??

MERCMAN.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:38:07 PM »

Found it.

Guy, it would make sense to lift the motor first, so I'll do that and refill it, and hopefully it'll then be up and down like a yo-yo!

By the way, what's the conceptual difference between automatic transmission fluid and brake fluid (and power steering fluid for that matter)? 

A
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »

The old pre-trim OMC power tilts can be checked when down as there is no pressurising with no trim cylinders.
I'll let Guy answer AA's fluid question.

Mark S.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »

An interesting question you ask AA,
No wonder you side stepped this one Mark Wink
There are many true answers to this question. However, to keep it short and simple I'll offer this brief response.
Brake fluid and Transmission fluid are like chalk & cheese. Brake fluid will swell all the rubber seals in your trim unit. The other obvious issue is: Brake fluid is hygroscopic. In a reasonably short time, Brake fluid cause rust on internal components of the trim unit.

Without rabbiting on and on, don't even think about using Brake Fluid in lieu of the correct product.

To answer your second part of your question: Auto Transmission & Power steering fluid are mostly one of the same in most common vehicles. However, some exotic vehicles (Howdy's, for example) may have a totally different set of rules. Grin

MERCMAN.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: