logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 11:13:17 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Caribbean Crosby  (Read 8261 times)
Cherry_crosby
Board God

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2011, 12:17:16 PM »

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I just purchased a Caribbean Crosby in the hopes of doing it up real nice. I haven't really started on it yet, except for a little bit of paint stripping. I hope to be able to look to these forums for advice when needed, mainly for help on finding parts and advice on repairing/replacing the floor. from what I've seen the stringers are good except for in the very front.

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »

That's what we're here for Cherry. You'll find a wealth of info from our clued up members who have tackled similar restos. Don't forget to use the search function where you'll find helpfull posts
Chair
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »

Hi Cherry and welcome.

I love the Crosby's so looking forward to seeing how you do it up.

In my limited experience two things: (1) the people on this forum and their pooled experience are such a great source of info, help, guidance and encouragement and (2) boat renovation is the same as house.... there will always be more work to be done than you first think. Especially when you start looking behind/under things ;-)

Aaron.

Cherry_crosby
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 01:22:09 PM »

I've already found a few issues since starting, mainly holes drilled in strange places and I think at some point it was strapped to the trailer to tight cause there is some cracks in the gunwale, I'm not sure how deep the run but i intend to find out. This is going to be a slow project for the moment until I get of uni and get some funds happening.
Cherry_crosby
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 05:07:12 PM »

I must admit I feel sorry for the poor girl, it's like looking at a botched plastic surgery. I think some one took to her with a drill for shits and giggles. I also have a burning hatred for people that paint over fixtures, not only does it look terrible but if some one needs to remove it for some reason it takes forever to take of while destroying the head of the screw. not to mention I now need to remove the paint of them now.

I'm not even sure how many times she was repainted each place i sand back seems to have a different number of layers of paint.
Brucie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »

Hidy Ho all.

Been a while since I popped in.  Roll Eyes
It is good to see other Crosby owners excited about there projects. I started rebuilding mine a couple of years ago. It has been a slow process. Needing time and money but never having them both at once. Well all the hard work is nearly done. The floor and transom are finished. The new seats are built awaiting upholstery. Fiberglass repairs are complete and she is in getting paint. Gearbox is fixed on the old 90hp meteor and just waiting on the paint on it as well. All the chrome is being redone, just waiting for the call to come collect it.

It should be back on the water before the year is done.

I will start posting some pics.

Hope you all like it Grin
Cherry_crosby
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 08:11:23 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Today was my last university exam Cheesy so I am hoping to get some time soon to strip the boat right back and build some supports so I can rebuild the trailer, I was planning on some skid style rear-ones and a few wedge ones for the front. Any comments on how far apart they should be, I was thinking similar dimensions to the rollers and skids of the trailer.

Cheers,

Will
Cherry_crosby
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »

So finally I have mad a slight bit of progress, I have been removing the floor that was put down by a previous owner (the floor had separated from the stringers). after removing the majority of the floor I have come to the conclusion that the stringers will be replaced. In the mean time I was interested in knowing what the best way of splitting the two halves, I want to do this repair a crack slightly bellow the gunwale. The crack runs about 80cm and at some points I can see daylight through it Sad.

Cheers,
Will
Cherry_crosby
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »

So after quite some time spent sanding the sides I am getting it to a position where I would be happy laying fresh paint down.

That black is actually a sticker that was painted over  Undecided I think the original color was the aqua color you see under the blue and primer.

This scratch looks like it only just goes through the gelcoat, should I worry about repairing the gelcoat or just fill it in?

Some filler fell out while I was sanding so I chiped the rest out to refill it later on.

The stringers have mostly been removed only the fiberglass that held them in remains and I am getting rid of that easily.
Cherry_crosby
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 06:41:30 PM »

I haven't made a post on this thread recently but I have made some progress. I am still removing tenants of stringer fibreglass. I also discovered the transom to be suspect in a few places one thing lead to another and now I'm up for a new transom.

It turns out that the original transom was 15in and then upped to a 20in. The new one will be a 20in rebuilt with layered ply. It is still a work in progress.
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 12:02:59 AM »

Sounds like , from my previously turfed boat, that you"ll be up for some significant work over the next few months.

Hope you enjoy the project, with the view to getting on the water ASAP.

My best boat choice to date was buying an old useable wooden hulled half cab for bugger all $, and just getting out there and using it. I've had 5 yrs of almost costless fun.

A
Cherry_crosby
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »

It's been a long time between posts with the Crosby. I just lamitated the ply for the transom. A little bit of prep work to do on the hull before it is ready to go in. I will be making a template incase I decide to do the same on my second hull.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 06:34:41 AM »

Your updates are great reading. We are all behind you on this project.
I missed the prevoius question on what to do with the deep scratch at the bow. I'm certainly no expert on fiberglass repair. However, we are lucky enough to have many enthusiastic members who are. Perhaps we might hear from one of those members shortly.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Cherry_crosby
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 09:33:52 AM »

I've done a bit of research since a few of my other posts. The deep scratch will be filled with flowcoat and sanded smooth, while the big chunk missing in the last picture will be filled with a polyester/talc bog. Paint wise I am going with a 2 pack polyurethane I want to go mostly white and trim it with some colour.

Half my problem is i only ever get half a day every now and then to work on it, what with working on the house and a bunch of other things happening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: