logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2018, 08:31:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Savage Surveyor Half cabin 6mtr.  (Read 14869 times)
Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:11:49 AM »

What could the Board here tell me regarding this Savage?
Seems like a top boat with a huge credential.
Also seems to be not that easy to find.
Also the Bluefin and the ranger seem to be well regarded still despite their age.
Is this because the hull and the way they were build?

Here is a surveyor that was recently sold in the East.
With the Marine park closures looming and big safe boat to get the extra miles out for a fish seems to be the way to go.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »

That Surveyor is a real nice looking rig indeed, sporting it's new paint job, trailer and outboard. Cool

Most of those larger half cabin craft (inc the Bluefin) were fitted up as a twin rig in their day. The maximum size outboard available was about 125hp in that era, they mostly had twin 20" 115hp (Merc or OMC) clamped on to the stern.

These older vessels are very well suited for repowering using a single modern 25" (because of the "V") high hp outboards which are presently on the market. As an example, a single new Merc Optimax 200 or 225hp will use far less fuel than one old 85hp Merc or any other brand for that matter. Plus the Optimax will be far quieter, the list of other attributes goes on and on.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Dinghyworld
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:09:43 PM »

Repowering....

Another example might be a new HONDA 225, its attributes include but are not limited to:- quieter than any two stroke, less fuel consumption than any two stroke longer lasting than any two stroke.... Wink

sorry couldnt resist!!

Cheers
John
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:55:35 PM »

Good on ya John. It's really great to see you popping your head in again. Cool
However, as much as I like your product, I respectfully reserve the right to debate your comments Cheesy Cheesy
I'm the first to admit 4 strokes have come along way over recent years, but I'm still not sold on them. At least the 2 strokes don't have a Cazillion parts on the Cylinder Head/s.

This is what happened when Evinrude put their current two stroke product up against a very well known 4 stroke branded product.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-7I00cZUE0

A lot of people in the marine industry believe an Optimax is every bit as good as an Etec, but just that little bit better. Kiss
Personally, I'm on the fence on this one, as both motors have excellent attributes.

May be we should start another Topic to give you a decent opportunity to blow Honda's Trumpet??

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »

A former workmate of mine has owned one for a great many years.
He did have some tragic luck in his family and did not use it for over 2 years.
Now that the events are finnished (in a tragic manner, but that seems to be life) he wants to start using his wonderfull boat again.
It has a 1972! V4 100 Johno on the back and the trigger seems to have died in the 2 years of standing idle.
$450 is has been quoted for that part alone!!
I know where a running 135hp is laying and want to see if the part is the same.
Maybe Dinghyworld could work out a deal of repowering this craft?
I will mention it to him before he falls into the hands of the dreaded mullies hehe!
He is seriously thinking of repowering his craft with a 135hp and a pod to get more room on the transom.
The 1972 Johno pushed it to 27M/ph and never let him down all those years from 1976 till 2008.
The engine is still looking like new under the faded covers!
Now that I have had a very good look at the boat itself , I would very much like one in decent condition to do it up into my own fish palace with all the trimmings!
Let me know what you think
Dinghyworld
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »

Hi Glastronomic,

We would love to repower your friends boat. I will chat with you about it

Cheers
john
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 06:46:07 PM »

1972 would be model 100293 yeh?

Not sure what you mean by "trigger", do you mean "sensor"?

Take the flywheel off and check that there is a 0.028" air gap . There are two adjusting screws. Also check that the sensor reads between 4 and 6 ohms. Maybe it is not the problem after checking those two things.

Actually, sitting about for a while does not get these old dears into ignition trouble.

Maybe a decent service of ignition components, wiring, connectors, ignition coil and all for good termination and ground etc.

Could be a faulty Shift diode set as well.

Corrosion in ignition switch?

If it is 1973  it will have the first Mag-Flash ignition like the 72 3 pots. Different altogether but not problematic if serviced as above.

Shame to see an older motor be changed out because of, maybe a lack of interest in working on older quality engines.

Why get rid of it if everything but a spark is in good nick?

B

Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 07:01:37 PM »

OK, you can get them here.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=CDI133-5008&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/cdi_electronics/catalog.html?http://www.marineengine.com/parts/cdi_electronics/

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/384461-OMC-Distributor-Sensor-/290389457692?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item439c8f7b1c

Regards

B

Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 11:54:06 PM »

Sadly,
It is Not my boat
I think like you ; a propper cleanup and a new set of sparklers should see this one running again.
engine is still like new underneath the cover and not corroded at all, every bolt and connection is greased up for protection.
Amazing room in this boat , it is HUGE! and still completely original with the embossed cussions @ timber work in the cabin!
As I drove home a slightly different way I spotted another one just around the corner with an inboard motor!!
The odds are shortning Grin Grin
Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 09:35:26 PM »

Well,... I found a Bluefin Savage about 300mtrs from where he lives and knocked on the door today Grin,... I am now the proud owner! Grin Grin
See also other post
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »

What a SCORE! Cool

B

Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »

BIT OF AN UPDATE added a rocketlauncher 2 hours work and all done!
Tomorow the signwritter will do his magic on the big white sides!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:17:55 PM by Glastronomic » Logged
Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 08:19:57 PM »

here are the as yet black murals
Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 12:28:28 AM »

Bit of an update on the beast;

Did 350+ hours in the last 12 months  on the original 165HP IL6 without any problems, after JB his crew and myself gave it a bit of a birthday.
It now is being repowered with a 2012 Mercruiser V6 MPI 225HP.
This engine has served well from 1978 and still running sweet, but the time has come.

After 34 years of faithfull service.
and not a drop of water seeping through the drive hole, They fitted these engines well!

A new much more powerfull package will take on the job.
Thank you 165 IL6
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:30:22 AM by Glastronomic » Logged
Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 12:34:15 AM »

Looking forward in doing a great many more hours of this sort of enjoyable fishing!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: